PDA

View Full Version : Battle against the ANTS

MostlyDiscus
05-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Uggg.... What started as a few little ants has turned into an infestation. Makes me itch. They are all over and lots with wings. yikes. any sugestions would be well recieved.

Ed

Disgirl
05-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Where are they exactly? We had a whole bunch of winged ants in our garage and they turned out to be termites. Had to hire a pest company to rid us of them. When they sort of swarm all over the place all at one time in one particular area they could be termites.
Barb

DonMD
05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Jeez, Ed, I hope they're not termites and you have to tent that beautiful house! You'd have to move all the fish:mad: We've had ants over here in Fairfax, I used the ant stakes places under cabinets and sprayed around likely entry points from the outside. But if it's termites, I wouldn't have a clue:angry:

Disgirl
05-15-2010, 08:22 PM
When we had termites they were under the house in the crawl space. They just put the termite killer down there and sprayed all around the base of the house. No tenting like in Calif. All my fish tanks and ponds were just fine.
Barb

MostlyDiscus
05-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Well I dont think there termites, yikes. Little buggers were tooling around for a bit. I think they have found a home inbetween my sump liner and the wood frame. I have sprayed with ant repelant and put traps down. There in my tanks now.

Disgirl
05-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Just to make sure they are not termites, do what I did, and Google termites to find out exactly what they look like. Be very careful using insecticides around your tank!
Barb

jeff@zina.com
05-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Termites vs Ants: http://www.pestproducts.com/termites.htm

For ants, Terro ant bait. It's harmless to your fish and very effective. For termites, call the pros. For a colony to swarm, it has to be at least 7 years old and has worked over a significant area in your house for years.

Or better, call the pros anyway. They'll identify the insect for you and do an inspection free.

Jeff

brewmaster15
05-16-2010, 09:59 AM
If you find their nests... Boric acid as a powder is highly effective.. Sprinkle around the nest or on the paths they use... and will also eventually kill the queen as the workers feed her...It coats the insects legs and they ingest it... can be made as bait as well...
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/boric_acid.html

another choice is Diatomaceous earth... used the same as a sprinkle.

Both are very safe to use.

hth,
al

MostlyDiscus
05-17-2010, 06:35 AM
First let me say Thank You do those who have offered advice. I did a bit of reading and was able to determine that the insects were in fact ANTS. I would have been really upset if they were termites(I would have titled this thread wrong). Would be nice if the discus ate ants. I think I may have to redo my fish room. I may be bringing alot more fish to the show than I had thought, in another words getting rid of all my fish till I can come up with a better way(place) for a fish room:(.

Ed

underwaterforest
05-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I get little black ants every year when the soil get wet and have found that the borax mixed with sugar syrup works great for getting rid of my ants. But I think they are commonly called sugar ants so it may not work for your infestation.

DonMD
05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
First let me say Thank You do those who have offered advice. I did a bit of reading and was able to determine that the insects were in fact ANTS. I would have been really upset if they were termites(I would have titled this thread wrong). Would be nice if the discus ate ants. I think I may have to redo my fish room. I may be bringing alot more fish to the show than I had thought, in another words getting rid of all my fish till I can come up with a better way(place) for a fish room:(.

Ed

Hey, Ed,

I just opened up a new tank, no fish yet. If you are really going to get rid of some fish, CALL ME!;)

utiliy
05-19-2010, 08:50 AM
beleive this or not...i never done it-but i once heard that cinnamon keeps them away. i guess just sprinkle around where there at or where they came from and the problem is solved.

MostlyDiscus
05-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Don,, you know your always welcome to come by. Ed

ockyra215
05-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I hope you figure this out it would suck for you to sell off all your stock.Oh and thanks by the way now im all itchy lol good luck with this.:D

Willie
05-22-2010, 05:49 PM
I have ants too. They come from outside the house and seek out moisture, so fish rooms are perfect places for them. The ant bait slowed them down. It's poison that they bring back to the colony.

Then I traced them back to where the waste drain goes through the floor. The cement around the pipe cracked (probably after 75+ years of winter) and the ants are coming out of there. I just vacuumed away the dirt and squirted liquid cement into the crack. The whole thing took about 15 minutes to do.

There's absolutely no way I'm putting any sort of insect poison into my fishroom. That's just crazy.

Willie

Foxfire
05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Get boric acid and mix with sugar and leave out near the main group - this will wipe them out and is harmless to dogs/cats/children.