PDA

View Full Version : My Son's Angels

brewmaster15
05-21-2010, 12:13 PM
I've raised angel fish for years now... at times I have had thousands here and many strains... a few years back I got rid of all my lines except one...a marble line That I have always been very attached to. I've maintained this line now for almost 12 years..... last year I handed care of the line over to my Angel fish Heir apparent...My 6 year old son Ethan... Some members here even have stock bred by him.:) So these are officially my Son's lines now.... we'll be looking into out crossing it soon.

Heres a few pics of Ethan's Angels..

-al

brewmaster15
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM
more...

brewmaster15
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
More pics

Discus-n00b
05-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Very nice Al, I love the orange on the faces and heads. Looks like some really big beefy Angels in there.

brewmaster15
05-21-2010, 12:32 PM
We also have one other line going right now..or I should hopeful line... A few years ago I bred some F1 scalare from wilds and did some crosses.The results were beautiful but I never kept the line (kicking myself) so I decided to redo the work...I got a bunch (25) of wild scalare in as small Juvies...maybe quarter size at best...They were a bit beat up from the shipping (came from a wholesaler thru a petshop owner bud of mine) but came around fine..and some are doing great... We've got a couple set up in smaller tanks, these shots are from the over flow , what left after setting up the smaller tanks...They are in my 75 gal planted low tech tank.

We do have a problem here though...My son and I are having a custody battle....seems he believes that all Angel fish in the house are his now.:) and if thats the extent of my battles with my son...I think I am doing a pretty good job here!:D

Bad pics, green on the tank walls but you get the picture still..

-al

brewmaster15
05-21-2010, 12:33 PM
last few ..of OUR Wild Scalare!;)

dmun24
05-21-2010, 12:46 PM
HI AL I BOUGHT NINE OF THOSE CROSSES FROM YOU. I STILL HAVE THEM AND ENDED UP WITH THREE PAIRS IF YOU WOULD LIKE ANY BACK LET ME KNOW DENNIS

brewmaster15
05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
HI AL I BOUGHT NINE OF THOSE CROSSES FROM YOU. I STILL HAVE THEM AND ENDED UP WITH THREE PAIRS IF YOU WOULD LIKE ANY BACK LET ME KNOW DENNIS

Dennis, I'd be thrilled to get one of those pairs back from you!:)

al

JL15219
05-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Al your son has some very nice angels love the Wild Scalare very nice!

MikeF
05-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Al those marbles are very nice, but those wilds are amazing. If you want to sell any let me know.
MikeF

William Palumbo
05-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Hold on to those Marbles Al...at the rate things are going in the Angel world, Marbles are taking a backseat to everything else. In my area you can't give them away...Everyone wants Platinums...Blues mostly. The Blues are going to overshadow most if not all the strains out there now, except maybe the high coverage Koi. As the fade dies down, people will want the "classic" strains...yet again...Bill

dpt8
05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Al, You may want to rethink letting Ethan take over the angels department. He has the "midas touch" when it comes to breeding and raising the angels.. :9)
All are gorgeous and he takes so much pride in them.. Tell him i said so also.. haha

pcsb23
05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Al, really like the flash of arange on the marbles, but I have to say that the Scalare really do it for me, they are superb.

Ed13
05-21-2010, 08:01 PM
LOL, Sorry Al but the "Angelfish Empire" belongs to Ethan now!:D Nice work he has done with the marbles.

BTW, I had seriously forgoten how beautiful and elegant wild scalare are!

AirCapital
05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Hold on to those Marbles Al...at the rate things are going in the Angel world, Marbles are taking a backseat to everything else. In my area you can't give them away...Everyone wants Platinums...Blues mostly. The Blues are going to overshadow most if not all the strains out there now, except maybe the high coverage Koi. As the fade dies down, people will want the "classic" strains...yet again...Bill

very nice angels your son is lucky he has a good teacher by the looks of things.
yes marbles have taken the back seat and yes phillipine blue are taking the angelfish world by storm. I have jumped on the wagon my self but will keep my original non blue lines in tact also because there is always the guy that wants to be different and when everything is blue people will want the classics again. and my fish that contain the blue gene have alot of hidden genes and I would like to figure out whats what before I do to much crossing.

j_li8
05-22-2010, 12:48 AM
They look good Al. I had a pair that look very much like your marbles but less orange on the crown. Still have what i assume to be a sibling to the pair. Hoping i can figure out the sex and pair it to another one. Keep them up and going Ethan, its hard to find anyone better to learn from.

brewmaster15
05-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks Guys,
The Marbles may be old school, but they still have a place in my heart...maybe because its one of the few fish lines I have ever maintained for so long.... Theres also something "special" about these. Many of the ones I see in LFS or else where are small, and the fins have been shortened..These guys are still stocky and maintain a good genetics for growth.....They also have some pearl scale in them which throws some nice irridescence into the mix.

The new angels lines may be taking the world by storm, but from what I have seen they tend to be smallish? maybe too much inbreeding?Maybe I am missing the boat on that one...but they just don't do anything for me.

The scalare wilds should make some good breeding stock ...I need one other line to work with and cross them to......but thats down the road...

In the meantime...I'm heading up to my friend Dennis's on Wednesday to get one of my old lines back...I'm very stoked!:)

-al

wreck
05-22-2010, 10:31 AM
those angels are awesome, i currently have a bunch of marble babies. marbles are my favs. those wilds are awesome al!!!!. do those wilds need to be kept in super soft water??

chris.

dbfzurowski
05-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Very nice, I to have a soft spot for marble angels, both black and gold. I did breed them for a little and sold to LFS, then came discus... anyhow your son is doing a great job, bet you daddys proud :)

ifixoldhouses
05-22-2010, 04:35 PM
I just got my first batch of fry from a female marble, and a jet black male, I wonder what I'll get, some look white, some look black, but they are only a week or so old. I am using them as practice till my discus pair up:)

brewmaster15
05-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi Brian,
Congrats on your batch of fry. Breeding Angels is fun....just becareful...they can quickly over populate your tanks!

Some of My angel fish adventures...
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=50460

If you want to try and figure out what your angelfish will look like....Check out this site and link...http://theangelfishsociety.org/standards2.htm

The Angelfish breeders have a very good handle on the genetics of Angelfish... Theres alot less variations in angels than Discus which makes it possible to really get a good idea as to what fry will look like...

hth,
al

Eddie
05-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Beautiful Angels Al and Ethan! All the best with the breeding.

Eddie

ifixoldhouses
05-23-2010, 09:57 PM
How did you ever get rid of all those angels?

brewmaster15
05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks Eddie!!:)

How did you ever get rid of all those angels?
Brian,
A bunch went to some area LFS...some to family... but I literally sent them out by the boxful to many of my friends if I knew that they had the slightest interest in them. It was bad...I was using anything that could hold water ...garbage cans etc..to grow out the fry.

I tend to go overboard when I breed something...I ran into the same thing last year with festivums and port cichlids.

-al

Eddie
05-23-2010, 10:14 PM
It was bad...I was using anything that could hold water ...garbage cans etc..to grow out the fry.

I tend to go overboard when I breed something...I ran into the same thing last year with festivums and port cichlids.

-al

Sounds like fun though......I'm the same way! ;)

Discus-n00b
05-24-2010, 12:08 AM
I want to know how you managed water changes on that tank without sucking any fish up! LOL

brewmaster15
05-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I want to know how you managed water changes on that tank without sucking any fish up! LOL

Good question! I doubt I would have noticed them missing if I had sucked a few up!:) But I do have method for tanks loaded like that with fry.;) Its highly complicated and technical....not!! I just fit a prefilter sponge ( usually an aquaclear replacement sponge) over my siphon tube.....works fine and you can even use it to simlutaneously wipe down the tanks bottom and siphon for a water change at the same time!

-al

Alok
05-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Cool Al. Angels are my wife's favorites and those wilds are awesome. I love them too, but they come second to discus :) unless you are talking about altum angels, then it becomes really hard to decide...

Did you ever have/try true altum angels?

brewmaster15
05-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Alok,

Did you ever have/try true altum angels?
Oh yesss.... I have brought them in and sold them before and kept them...Beautiful creatures to be sure.:)

take care,
al

Jayhawk
06-26-2010, 12:22 PM
I am breeding angels too. coming across good stock means a lot. and those are very nice. Thank you for sharing.

brian94
06-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi
In my opinion wild caught angels are a beautiful fish the way nature has intended them to be.What man has done to them by interbreeding and trying to change there colour etc. has done this fish no justice. I have loved wilds for many years and to me they are the only angefish.
Brian

KEWX
06-26-2010, 03:44 PM
So, Brian94, do you feel the same way about discus?

roclement
06-26-2010, 09:48 PM
guess Brian will be very happy posting here on simply! :)

Rodrigo