PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to cycle a quarantine tank?

dark_spell
05-23-2010, 12:25 PM
So yeah, do you have to cycle a quarantine tank? I'm assuming I'll need a filter and all. Also, do I have to add anything to it? (eg. salt...medication) Oh and how's the maintenance?

pcsb23
05-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Depends on what youa re doing with it. If it is for qt'ing new fish then yes, makes sense to have a cycled filter of some sort (I use sponge filters). If it is for medicating then many of the meds in use nule bio filters so just some floss around an airstone would be ok.

Mainteneace again depends on size and use. For qt'ing new fish then daily water changes of around 33% will see you through, more if necessary. If medicating then it depends on the med, some really shuld have huge water changes daily (80% or more), some change after three days.

There are a couple good threads on here about qt'ing new fish http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76800 and http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79292 may help.

dark_spell
05-23-2010, 02:25 PM
thanks! it's just for new fish. how large should it be? is 5 gallons enough>?

Jhhnn
05-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Quarantine tanks are a semi-permanent home, 6-8 week stay in general, so they need to be big enough for that. For adult discus, the general 10gal/fish rule still applies, with less water per fish for smaller specimens. All the normal water changing requirements remain, and yes, having cycled filters is pretty much required. Sponge filters from established tanks are often used, as are filter materials from established canister filters blended into new material for the new tank... you definitely don't want new fish to be damaged by overcrowding in bad water before they ever get out of quarantine...

Just my opinion, probably more conservative than what others might offer. Some are even more conservative, preferring to establish cycled filters from scratch, sans fish...

LizStreithorst
05-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Five gallons is tiny. How many fish are you introducing and what size are they?

LizStreithorst
05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Just my opinion, probably more conservative than what others might offer. Some are even more conservative, preferring to establish cycled filters from scratch, sans fish...

I have found that most pathonens are introduced by new fish that tranfer them to the established fish. People are generally safe using an extablished filter from their existing tanks. I had one bad experience so I perfer to use a sterile filter and (since my water is cheap) do a ton of WCs.

Eddie
05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, don't use a 5 gallon and to be honest, unless its one fish a 29 or 40 is pretty good. Then again, all depends on the amount of fish and their size. 6 each 4 inch fish would be better in something even larger.

Quarantine tank - filter

Hospital Tank - No filter

Eddie

jaykne
05-23-2010, 09:36 PM
I have never precycled a tank just as long as you have time to do large water changes every day. I have a friend that has some of the best RT's you have ever seen been into discus 25 years and has sold tons of discus from his pairs, he uses no filters no bio system on any of his tanks, but if he can't do a water change a day his wife does it.

Jhhnn
05-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I have found that most pathonens are introduced by new fish that tranfer them to the established fish. People are generally safe using an extablished filter from their existing tanks. I had one bad experience so I perfer to use a sterile filter and (since my water is cheap) do a ton of WCs.

I'll agree with the first part- I'm not concerned with what new fish might catch from the fish I already have, If the current residents have been healthy for an extended period of time. It's what new fish might bring with them that's worrisome, and recent outbreaks of plague from new fish introductions just make me more wary...

Eventually, the new fish will get exposed to anything that the old fish have, anyway, I figure, so using established sponge filters just gets that over with...

Lots of Asian breeders apparently use no filters, either, but they have people whose job is changing water, not to mention they're set up in an industrial fashion, plus they have infinitely more experience than my own.

Established biofilters serve as a buffer against poisonous water, so using them just seems like common sense insurance to me.

zamboniMan
05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I'll agree with the first part- I'm not concerned with what new fish might catch from the fish I already have, If the current residents have been healthy for an extended period of time. It's what new fish might bring with them that's worrisome, and recent outbreaks of plague from new fish introductions just make me more wary...

Eventually, the new fish will get exposed to anything that the old fish have, anyway, I figure, so using established sponge filters just gets that over with...

Lots of Asian breeders apparently use no filters, either, but they have people whose job is changing water, not to mention they're set up in an industrial fashion, plus they have infinitely more experience than my own.

Established biofilters serve as a buffer against poisonous water, so using them just seems like common sense insurance to me.

After 8 weeks or so if the new fish has no problems I introduce a few of my current fish to the QT tank and see what happens. Then if it turned out my old fish had something I can treat them before stressing the new fish further.

So far it's worked for me. Maybe it stresses all the fish too much maybe not I don't know but it maybe something to consider.

Hope that helps,
Josh