PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your fish in okinawa?

ockyra215
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Eddie,I have been wondering about this for awhile.Not to be rude but I see all these beautiful fish and I go where does he find all these guys.Do the breeders overthere welcome you or treat you different cause your american?Just curious.:D

Eddie
05-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Eddie,I have been wondering about this for awhile.Not to be rude but I see all these beautiful fish and I go where does he find all these guys.Do the breeders overthere welcome you or treat you different cause your american?Just curious.:D

LOL, funny Dave. The largest majority of my fish come from Thoroughbred Aquarium in mainland Japan. The breeder/importer is extremely nice and very helpful. His name is Watanabe and deals with fish from all over. His wild imports are some of the best in the world and he breeds primarily wild or wild crosses. He also sells alot of vintage strains like Jack Wattley Turqs and Schmidt Fockes.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://t-aquarium.com/&ei=79P5S_adIo3YMNi30LYF&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDIQ7gEwBA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dt-aqua%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Dv

I also have some fish from Forrest, a few Blue Scorpions and a Penang Eruption. Then I have a few LFS discus for which I have no idea where they came from. This includes my Heckel Cross and 1 Blue Diamond. Oh, and 1 Leopard.

Take care,

Eddie

ockyra215
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I was just curios because you hear how all the good wilds and stuff go to japan and germany and you can get the cream of the crop.Its actually pretty awesome.I bet you see some really nice stuff. I d love to have those connections.:D

Eddie
05-24-2010, 08:38 PM
I was just curios because you hear how all the good wilds and stuff go to japan and germany and you can get the cream of the crop.Its actually pretty awesome.I bet you see some really nice stuff. I d love to have those connections.:D

I think that is the best part about being here in Japan, access to some amazing discus. But it has a double edged sword, the price is like 4 to 5 times higher than you pay in the states. :(

Eddie

ockyra215
05-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Yeah but if its a beautiful fish its worth it. Besides theres always another one then another one and another one

Eddie
05-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah but if its a beautiful fish its worth it. Besides theres always another one then another one and another one

Very true, and I RARELY buy adult fish (Too expensive). I've bought 3 adults in my current collection, all the rest I raised from Juveniles. ;)

dean9922
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Eddie, you are definitely right, bigger fish do cost a lot more....but part of the discus hobby experience (addiction) for me "is" getting smaller fish and watching them grow up and knowing you can do it successfully....kind of a gratifying experience I think.....only problem I have is getting a hold of smaller fry.....

Eddie
05-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Eddie, you are definitely right, bigger fish do cost a lot more....but part of the discus hobby experience (addiction) for me "is" getting smaller fish and watching them grow up and knowing you can do it successfully....kind of a gratifying experience I think.....only problem I have is getting a hold of smaller fry.....

Same here, growing out young juveniles has always been one of the best parts of the hobby.

Take care,

Eddie

ockyra215
05-25-2010, 11:13 PM
I agree since i been back into the hobby it has been great to watch my reflection d's grow its awesome.:D

Elite Aquaria
05-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Dave,

When are you going to post some updated pictures of those Reflection D...I miss them;)

Wahter
05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Eddie, you didn't get any fish from that Hardware store? Sorry to hear that huge one in the shop wasn't doing too well a few weeks back. (I think you said that in another post).

Walter

Eddie
05-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Eddie, you didn't get any fish from that Hardware store? Sorry to hear that huge one in the shop wasn't doing too well a few weeks back. (I think you said that in another post).

Walter

Oh yes, see second post, guess I should have called it the hardware store, but they have fish. :D

inmisawa
10-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Hey Eddie. If you ever make it to Yokota for a TDY, there is a very, very, very nice tropical fish store in Mizuho. They have (had) some of the most amazing Discus I had ever seen, and they have (had) a huge selection. And for a tropical fish store (japan or the states) this place is pretty big. I think it would definately be worth your while.

http://www.pdnettaigyo.co.jp/

Kingdom Come Discus
10-15-2010, 01:14 AM
I have been admiring your avatar for sometime now. Awesome fish. I will have to check out the others.

Eddie
10-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Hey Eddie. If you ever make it to Yokota for a TDY, there is a very, very, very nice tropical fish store in Mizuho. They have (had) some of the most amazing Discus I had ever seen, and they have (had) a huge selection. And for a tropical fish store (japan or the states) this place is pretty big. I think it would definately be worth your while.

http://www.pdnettaigyo.co.jp/

Cool, I'll have to check it out! There is also one in Nagoya called T-Aqua. A breeder/collector named Watanabe who deals with wilds and original strains like Wattley/Schmidt Focke. Thanks for the tip!

Eddie

ockyra215
10-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I just was cruising around Simply and revisited this post I wish I could read japanese. Still lucky for you Eddie I hope things are well for you.

Eddie
10-17-2010, 06:15 AM
I just was cruising around Simply and revisited this post I wish I could read japanese. Still lucky for you Eddie I hope things are well for you.

I know, look at this.

http://t-aquarium.com/shop/image_view.html?image=../shopimages/taqua/047000000013.jpg

Jennie
10-17-2010, 06:56 AM
who's fish

Eddie
10-17-2010, 07:08 AM
who's fish

Thats one of the Heckel Cross that Watanabe bred. He owns T-Aqua in Nagoya Japan.

Jennie
10-17-2010, 07:10 AM
you ever try heckles?

Eddie
10-17-2010, 07:15 AM
you ever try heckles?

I had a few when I got back into the hobby a few years ago. I ended up getting rid of them because I would prefer to have them in a large group and in a large biotope. It will be one of my projects in the future. ;)

ockyra215
10-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Eddie,
Those guys are nice Id like about six of them to start with!:D