PDA

View Full Version : Tank Transfer

TickTock39
05-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Hello, I have been reading and lurking and decided to finally post a few questions. First of all I have an established 55 gal. that has been up and running since December with 8 rummy nose. I added 5 discus (juvies) May 1. I have recently come upon a 75 gallon and would like to transfer everything over. My thoughts are to fill the 75 with new water and just switch over the Rena xp3 from the 55 gal. Is this a good way to do it? Also, I am looking for suggestions on light fixtures. Down the line when the discus are grown out, I would like to add sand and a few low light plants. I was thinking about the Catalina 3-54watt T5 fixture. What bulb combo would you suggest with the following bulbs: 10k,plant grow, 6500 ? Thanks.

kush
05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Putting an established filter on a new tank is how I do it.

As for lighting, the fixture you're looking at will give you about 2wpg which, assuming you're not putting the hood right on the tank frame, is a nice amount of light for java ferns, anubias, some less demanding swords, etc.

Target temp for plants is between 5500k and 10,000k (personally, I find 5500k too yellow-y). IME plants look best around 6700k and fish look best @10,000k. So you need to prioritize.

TickTock39
05-25-2010, 07:17 PM
I am going to use the mounting legs with the light fixture. Would the distance with the legs vs. without the legs make a great difference? How would the appearance be with using maybe 1-10k and 2-6500? Lastly, what is the difference between Catalina's plant grow t5 bulb and their 6500k bulb? Thanks.

kush
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
The further from the water surface the lamps are, the more light is reflected off and away.

I don't know the Catalina bulbs but I'm guessing a 'plant grow' bulb is a lower k, maybe even one of those nasty violet things. At any rate, your discus will look awful under it. 6500k is fine - I'm using 6700k, myself, but in a heavily planted tank where the plants are as important as the discus.

I doubt there's much advantage to mix-n-matching bulbs in a four foot by 18" tank because, with refraction, the spectrum should just sort of average out. If you're going to be growing anubias and ferns and such, and you'll be doing large regular water changes - to keep ahead of nitrate/nutrient/alagae buildup - then, by all means, go with the 10,000k daylight bulbs and show off your fish.

TickTock39
05-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey Kush,
Thanks for the great info., I will give the 3-10k's a shot in the T5 fixture. If problems arise I can run two bulbs as oppose to all three.