PDA

View Full Version : Barb's new swirled plant dishes for BB and sand bottom tanks

Disgirl
05-26-2010, 09:18 PM
After receiving several requests for pots I am now making plant dishes for your BB or sand bottom discus tanks. Now you can have a "planted" tank even if you have bare glass bottom or 1/4" of sand. I am using my popular swirled clay (thanks again Eddie!) to make these plant dishes. They are about 6" and 10" in diameter, and 2-4" deep to hold sand or gravel with live or plastic plants. The pictures below were taken in my discus tank with pool filter sand, gravel and plastic plants in the dishes. I didn't want to dig up my live plants from my angelfish tank to put into these dishes for the pictures. But I will soon put live plants into dishes in my discus tank. Easy to clean, plant, rearrange, etc. I can make them as large as you want. The 6-10" dishes will be $10 each plus shipping. Larger ones will be a bit more. Each will be an original piece of clay art for your tank, no two exactly alike. And they match my discus cones as you can see. Please let me know what you think of them and I am always open to suggestions or new ideas for clay. Thanks for looking! And send me a PM if you are interested!
Barb:)

Disgirl
05-26-2010, 09:23 PM
And here are some pictures of the empty dishes, out of the tank.

kitykatfunkiehat
05-26-2010, 10:00 PM
How much for the cat, Barb?

Alok
05-26-2010, 11:18 PM
These are really cool Barb! :)

Disgirl
05-27-2010, 08:08 AM
No, Lucy isn't for sale Jenna. She wanted her pic taken! Thanks Jollyguy!
Barb

kitykatfunkiehat
05-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Haha just playin! Cute idea though! These are really cool.

DavidH
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Hey Barb, love the plant dishes. Great idea. I'll pm you when I get my 120 up for dishes and a couple of cones.
Thx Dave

DiscusKev
05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Good idea Barb, it sure blend in with the cones :D

Good luck on your sales,

YSS
05-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Love the fact that the cone doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. :-)

Chad Hughes
05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Barb,

Great job with these! You may have started a new method for planted discus tanks that blends right in!

Well done!

kush
05-27-2010, 11:36 AM
3-in-1 breeding cone, plant pot, and... pl*co cave?

Barb, just a suggestion, because I've worked quite a lot with live aquarium plants in clay pots (a couple of which, ahem, I've tossed and fired myself) , it does help to have a couple of 'drainage' holes in the bottom for water exchange. Nothing scientific, but I figure it adds a couple additional months before I have to clean it out. I either place a loose mat of peat moss over the hole to retain the gravel, or a loose irregularly shaped pebble.

Nice pots! I request a vaguely triangular shaped one, like a Vick's lozenge, to put in the corner.

Disgirl
05-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the nice replies everyone! Would you believe I am actually working on a design that is a combo of cone and plant dish and maybe even a cave on the bottom? I am! It will be awhile since I am swamped with orders for cones these days. But I do want to try it. And yes, I will be putting small drainage holes in my other dishes I make. Thanks!
Barb

Disgirl
05-27-2010, 07:26 PM
3-in-1 breeding cone, plant pot, and... pl*co cave?

Barb, just a suggestion, because I've worked quite a lot with live aquarium plants in clay pots (a couple of which, ahem, I've tossed and fired myself) , it does help to have a couple of 'drainage' holes in the bottom for water exchange. Nothing scientific, but I figure it adds a couple additional months before I have to clean it out. I either place a loose mat of peat moss over the hole to retain the gravel, or a loose irregularly shaped pebble.

Nice pots! I request a vaguely triangular shaped one, like a Vick's lozenge, to put in the corner.

I will be sure to make a triangular shaped dish for you! Will let you know when it is ready and will take a pic of it to show you.
Barb

gravjack
05-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the nice replies everyone! Would you believe I am actually working on a design that is a combo of cone and plant dish and maybe even a cave on the bottom? I am! It will be awhile since I am swamped with orders for cones these days. But I do want to try it. And yes, I will be putting small drainage holes in my other dishes I make. Thanks!
Barb

What a great idea. When you get the combo designed, I'd like a couple.

John

Disgirl
05-28-2010, 08:16 PM
What a great idea. When you get the combo designed, I'd like a couple.

John

Thanks John, I am definitely going to be working on this. I have it in my head, now just need to put that into clay!

joanr
05-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Barb, what colors can be swirled? Is there such a thing as light green or blue swirled with light clay color? Sort of the same shades we paint the tanks?

Disgirl
05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Barb, what colors can be swirled? Is there such a thing as light green or blue swirled with light clay color? Sort of the same shades we paint the tanks?

I only have clay in earthy colors, tans, red, brown, white. I would have to dye the clay and don't have a way to do that. But I can make the dishes in a plain, non swirled clay and then glaze with a non toxic glaze in almost any color.