PDA

View Full Version : Best Filtration For 55 Gal.?

vstar
05-29-2010, 12:49 AM
I am in the process of setting up my first discus tank. I have been doing a lot of research to make one of my goal in life a sucess of having discus. What I like to know is what would be the best filtration for a 55 gal tank with just enough gravel to hide the bare bottom? I would also like to add a power filter for water circulation but want to keep it low as I understand that discus do not like high flow, can you give me an idea in gph. flow. Thanks

Eddie
05-29-2010, 01:58 AM
I am in the process of setting up my first discus tank. I have been doing a lot of research to make one of my goal in life a sucess of having discus. What I like to know is what would be the best filtration for a 55 gal tank with just enough gravel to hide the bare bottom? I would also like to add a power filter for water circulation but want to keep it low as I understand that discus do not like high flow, can you give me an idea in gph. flow. Thanks

I'd skip the gravel if this is your first discus tank. Any good Hang on the Back (HOB) filter will do with a few sponges running. Sponge filters are cheap, easy to maintain and have a HUGE surface area for nitrifying bacteria. I like the Hydro IVs but a few Hydro IIIs will do.

All the best,

Eddie

vstar
05-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Thanks Eddie, I can handle that for filtration. Going to check on this 72 gal. bow front that for sale, look really nice and a good price. I think it would be a good tank for discus.

Eddie
05-29-2010, 02:19 AM
Thanks Eddie, I can handle that for filtration. Going to check on this 72 gal. bow front that for sale, look really nice and a good price. I think it would be a good tank for discus.

Its got good size but I don't like bowfronts, they distort how you view the fish IMO. :o

vstar
05-29-2010, 02:28 AM
I'll take that into consideration on the bowfront. Also is it better to run the hydor sponge on power head (gph) or just an air pump.

Eddie
05-29-2010, 02:30 AM
I'll take that into consideration on the bowfront. Also is it better to run the hydor sponge on power head (gph) or just an air pump.

Its up to you, if you want to skip the HOB filter entirely, you can use powerheads to create better water movement. This will keep particles suspended and prevent too much build up on the tank floor.

Eddie

vstar
05-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

fishorama
05-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I use 2 Aqua Clear 70s with prefilters on a 55g, the discus don't seem to mind the flow.

Darrell Ward
05-31-2010, 03:39 PM
As long as the current is not blowing the fish sideways, they don't mind. I use to use the old "low flow" method myself, until I discovered the fish do better with higher oxygen levels, and I never went back.

azpunisher24
06-09-2010, 07:19 AM
can someone please tell me how to post my OWN posts!! lol

im new here!!

Keith Perkins
06-09-2010, 06:42 PM
can someone please tell me how to post my OWN posts!! lol

im new here!!

Go into any main topic area, and near the top on the left there is an oval blue button just like the post reply button that says new thread.

spyder329
06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I have a Cascade 700 and a Hydro Sponge #4 in my 55 gal and its perfect.

DerekFF
06-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I'd skip the gravel if this is your first discus tank. Any good Hang on the Back (HOB) filter will do with a few sponges running. Sponge filters are cheap, easy to maintain and have a HUGE surface area for nitrifying bacteria. I like the Hydro IVs but a few Hydro IIIs will do.

All the best,

Eddie

I think just enough gravel to cover the bottom would be fine IMO. That's what I have in mine since my fish hated BB when I tried to switch. I gave them 2 weeks to adjust and they just never did. But lots of gravel held to much dodo. So I use the "just enough to cover" amount and it vacs out almost as easy as BB because there's really no gravel to filter through. You just can't see the waste build up as much. And also + 1 on hydro sponge filters. They work fabulously.

Discus master
06-21-2010, 11:42 AM

I use the cascade 1000 and a HOB rated for only a 30 gallon tank for etra mechanical filtration on my 55 gallon and they work great thus far

Cevoe
06-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I use two Aquaclear 70 and a Hydro IV on my 55 bare bottom tank.
The two 70's are on a separate GFI so they can be turned on and off for feeding or water changes and the sponge filter runs non-stop.
I also like the extra room in the boxes to grow media to seed other tanks.
This and the daily water changes is keeping the grow-out discus in this tank pretty comfortable.
Chris

deepflyball
06-26-2010, 09:53 PM
The problem with gravel is that its a trap for beefheart a nd other foods.

If you havent already set it up paint the bottom ,and if you going to have PBs paint the back as well. Oh yes with light colors. ( not black)
On filtration I onlly use 1 hang on the back a Aquaclear 110 with 2 large sponges. The ac 110 moves alot of water and is a great bubble maker. Just use the sponge inside the 110 and bio for filtration.

Jerry

Melissa
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Just a tip- if you DO decide to put a small layer of gravel on the bottom of the aquarium... be careful about what color you choose. Most discus coming from a breeder are used to light colors like blue and if you shock them with a black floor or some other dark color in their new tank, they can stress out. :o

edit: ops didn't see deepfly's previous post. :P

Willie
06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
I like double stacked Hydro V's, either with airstone or powerhead. Two powerheads would be too much for a 55. I'm down on HOB and canister filters. Discus requires lots of water changes so mechanical filtration is unnecessarily.

If you're keeping adult discus, vigorous agitation and aeration will definitely help your discus grow better. Actually, they'll help any large fish grow better in a glass box. Despite what all beginner aquarium texts advise, having air bubbles streaming out of the powerhead makes a distinct difference.

Willie

morillonj
06-27-2010, 08:15 PM
starting a new 65 gallon tall tank. throw me some ideas. :)

Eddie
06-27-2010, 09:04 PM
starting a new 65 gallon tall tank. throw me some ideas. :)

As far as? If you are wanting to know about filtration ideas, the thread covers it. Will you be getting adults or juvies? Planted or barebottom?

Eddie

Discus master
06-28-2010, 03:12 PM

I have a cascade 1000, just bought a hydro number 4 I think its rated for a 40 gallon tank but with the cascade 1000 I do not think it matters I just bought that this week end I am using a air stone for the filtration. do you find that yours sucks in and traps dirt or not? I wanted it for extra mechanical and bio filtration the extra air is cool also. Oh and I also went and bought a pre filter sponge as well that should help keep crap out of my canister filter plus that should also grow out more bio material as well and when I syphon off water I just press my syphon tube which is a hsoe rite into both the pre filter sponge and the filter sponge which seems to clean it off enough that I do not have to take it off. I know that the pre filter sponge has more crud and stuff on it than the sponge filter but I think the sponge filter is working I am running one of those I think its an aqua pump 60 thats has the two air out lets so it should be enough air pushing thru it that it should have enough power to opperate a sponge filter ood enough I would think??
the other out let is attached to a 12 inch air stone I have attached suction cups to mounted near the bottom of my bb tank on the back with my two heaters located above it, and the air comes out of that stone like you would not believe the pupm is that new whisper pump the blue one thats lifted off the ground with the big rubber feet I have the 60 model and thats the one next to the bigest which it goes from the 60 to a 100 so again IU think it would be enough to drive that filter sponge but I just thought it would collect the debris more than it is, maybe I can shorten the air hose by a few feet that may help rite?

discuspaul
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
To Vstar,
Good advice from previous threads.
You should be just fine with 2 AquaClear 70's. Reduce water flow somewhat in each if you feel you're getting too strong of a return water flow, although your oxygenation will be very good - my fish don't mind at all.
discuspaul

vstar
06-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a 72 bowfront with stand and glass top and light for $210.00 before I got a 55 purchased. I read everybody advice and sugesstions and ended up buying 4 Hydor IV sponge which are double stacked and ran by 2 AC 20 powerheads which the flows are adjustable. Then I also purchased a Whisper 60 (330 gph) power filter for a trade of one of my mated pair of Julidochromis Transcriptus. I like the Whisper because you can really fine tune the flow. Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for tank to cycle and mature and talk to one of the sponsers about buying some discus. Thanks All

morillonj
07-03-2010, 04:20 PM
im going to use a cascade 1000 hooked up to a maxi-jet 1200 and a aquaclear 70 for my barebottom. Also a large piece of driftwood. 6 discus should do in my 65 gallon tall tank. :)
what you think eddie?

Eddie
07-03-2010, 07:46 PM
im going to use a cascade 1000 hooked up to a maxi-jet 1200 and a aquaclear 70 for my barebottom. Also a large piece of driftwood. 6 discus should do in my 65 gallon tall tank. :)
what you think eddie?

Sounds good, filtration has been the least of my concerns in keeping discus, I rely on water changes. I do keep sponge filters running on all tanks in the event I leave for a few weeks. ;)

Eddie