PDA

View Full Version : Medications On Hands?

vstar
05-29-2010, 12:52 AM
I would like to know what medications, should I have on hands in case I need it if the discus I get sick. Thanks

Eddie
05-29-2010, 01:54 AM
I would like to know what medications, should I have on hands in case I need it if the discus I get sick. Thanks

None unless you are far from any LFS?

vstar
05-29-2010, 02:20 AM
The closet lfs from where I live is 150 miles. I know you did'nt know but that why I stock up on everything I need when it comes to needing something.

Eddie
05-29-2010, 02:22 AM
The closet lfs from where I live is 150 miles. I know you did'nt know but that why I stock up on everything I need when it comes to needing something.

Alright then, thats a decent drive in an emergency.

Externals - Quick Cure

Internals - Metro, Kanamycin and levamisole

Broad spectrum antibiotic - Furan 2

HTH

Eddie

vstar
05-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Got the Metro but will have to get the rest. Thanks

Eddie
05-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Got the Metro but will have to get the rest. Thanks

Use only when directed, I highly advise this. Many people throw all types of medications in their tanks, thinking they are helping but its actually making matters worse. If you do not know what you are dealing with, its best to get good advice from several different folks. ;)

Eddie

vstar
05-29-2010, 02:50 AM
I understand this, I look at all the perspectives before I do any thing. I really appreciate all your advice. I have been in this hobby since 1978. But this will be one of my most challenges, so I will listens with all ears on having discus. Thanks

Keith Perkins
05-29-2010, 02:00 PM
I personally keep 3 on hand; Quick Cure, Acriflavine, and Potassium Permanganate. I haven't used any of them, but they're there if I need them. In my case the closest lfs that carries the Acriflavine is an hour away.

I forgot, it's not actually a medication, but I also have iodine. That I have used once.

diamond_discus
05-29-2010, 03:57 PM
I personally keep 3 on hand; Quick Cure, Acriflavine, and Potassium Permanganate. I haven't used any of them, but they're there if I need them. In my case the closest lfs that carries the Acriflavine is an hour away.

+1 on Quick Cure and PP.

vstar
05-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks guys, you been a great help, will be getting the meds. to have on hands

mugzy213
05-30-2010, 01:07 AM
[QUOTE=Eddie;649084]Alright then, thats a decent drive in an emergency.

Externals - Quick Cure

HTH

Eddie I've tried 4 fish store and igpro I can't seem to find levamisole?

Is it called something else?

Thanks

Eddie
05-30-2010, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=Eddie;649084]Alright then, thats a decent drive in an emergency.

Externals - Quick Cure

HTH

Eddie I've tried 4 fish store and igpro I can't seem to find levamisole?

Is it called something else?

Thanks

In the states I heard you can get it from Farm Supplies/Feed stores. Its a general dewormer for animals. Foy's Pigeon Supply is one place, under the name Vermisol.

Foxfire
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
The first and foremost medicine to have on hand is aquarium salt (up to 1 tsp/gal). That, combined with higher temperature (up to 90 F) can address any unknown illness fast, safely and with a great success rate - unless you have an open and shut case illness - try salt and heat first!:)

Eddie
05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
The first and foremost medicine to have on hand is aquarium salt (up to 1 tsp/gal). That, combined with higher temperature (up to 90 F) can address any unknown illness fast, safely and with a great success rate - unless you have an open and shut case illness - try salt and heat first!:)

Heat and salt have a purpose but they do not cure any illness. LOL

scottthomas
05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
I keep epsom salt on hand for bloat. Not much else, I have some metro, and FMG. I likewise have not seen much need for salt or heat as treatment.