PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Filters For 72 Gal.

vstar
05-30-2010, 01:07 AM
I was going to get a 55 gal tank, for my first dicus tank. But I came across a 72 gal bowfront tank today for a good price so I took it. Now I am wondering how many Hydor sponge filters and what size the 3 or the 4 should I have,also what is the least amount of discus I can have in this size of tank with no problems.

Eddie
05-30-2010, 01:09 AM
I was going to get a 55 gal tank, for my first dicus tank. But I came across a 72 gal bowfront tank today for a good price so I took it. Now I am wondering how many Hydor sponge filters and what size the 3 or the 4 should I have,also what is the least amount of discus I can have in this size of tank with no problems.

Best no to get less than 6 discus. Go for the Hydro IVs IMO.

Eddie

vstar
05-30-2010, 01:18 AM
How many Hydor IV, and if I use powerheads on them what size of gph. power heads do you recommend. I don't want to blow the discus around. Thanks

Eddie
05-30-2010, 02:06 AM
How many Hydor IV, and if I use powerheads on them what size of gph. power heads do you recommend. I don't want to blow the discus around. Thanks

2 hydro IVs and find a powerhead with the least GPH for better biofiltration. The slower the water moves throughout the filter, the more efficient nitrification.

Eddie

Willie
05-30-2010, 02:32 AM
I use double stacked V's. Not sure why the IV's are so much more popular. Avoid the powerhead and run the doublestack with an airstone for optimal biological filtration. I typically run 2 sets of double stack sponges in my 75's.

Willie

Rob321
05-30-2010, 05:38 AM
The number of sponge filters required for any aquarium is dependent on the resulting bio-load (i.e., fish waste) that has to be dealt with, and not the water volume of the tank. So if you put six discus in either a 55 or 72 gallon tank, the filtration requirement will be the same. However, during tank startup the benefit of a larger tank will be lower cycling peaks of ammonia and nitrite due to dilution of these compounds within the greater water volume. A moot point though, if you are starting out with seeded filters.

Using two of either the Hydro-Sponge III or IV would suffice, but IMO more is always better, so I would go with the IV, or better yet, two of the double-stacked Hydro-Sponge V as mentioned by Willie.

I always use at least two, or better yet three, independently running filters on every tank, as a redundancy against failure.

One way to ensure a higher level of biological filtration than can be achieved with an air stone driven system, but without significant water turbulence, is by using a powerhead with its exhaust port jet dampened by another sponge filter. This way the exhaust water jet is diffused throughout the large surface area of a second sponge, which will also provide extra biological filtering for compounds not broken down after passing through the first sponge.

Did you want to know the least, or most, discus you can house without failure? I agree with Eddie that six fish should be the least that you get. But what size are you starting with?

Do you have any specific long-term objectives, like developing breeding pairs, or growing large show quality display fish, etc.? If you are planning for either of these, and you are starting with 2” fish, I would recommend that you purchase 12 to 15 to start, and then cull (i.e., sell off) your undesirables as they grow, until you end up with six or seven choice adult specimens. If you are starting with fish that are approximately 4” to begin with, choose 6 or 7 select fish, and then grow them out.

vstar
05-31-2010, 02:43 AM
First of all, I want to thank you guys for giving me your expert advice on this subject. I will follow your advice. The question on the amount of discus I wanted was to be the least amount for the 72 gal aquarium. I am not really interested in breeding discus at this point, I really would like to have them for show and display.

vstar
05-31-2010, 02:45 AM
The discus I been looking at are about 3-3 1/2 inches.

vstar
05-31-2010, 02:57 AM
How big an air pump should I use on these sponge filters if they are single or double stacked? As far as power head goes I was thinking of the Aqua Clear 20, it has the adjustable flow control. I know my options are open, but a good air pump would be very feasiable.

Eddie
05-31-2010, 03:05 AM
First of all, I want to thank you guys for giving me your expert advice on this subject. I will follow your advice. The question on the amount of discus I wanted was to be the least amount for the 72 gal aquarium. I am not really interested in breeding discus at this point, I really would like to have them for show and display.

This is the thing that always ends up happening. You don't intend to breed, you just get a group of fish and then down the road, a pair forms. Its natural and pairs form, fish breed, its gonna happen. As recommended, get a larger group and the ones that fall off or do not grow as expected, sell them off. ;)

vstar
05-31-2010, 03:21 AM
You are so right about that Eddie, some of them will pair up and breed. When that happen it will be a good day.

Eddie
05-31-2010, 03:24 AM
You are so right about that Eddie, some of them will pair up and breed. When that happen it will be a good day.

So, if you stay on top of water quality, meaning daily water changes, I'd go with 8-9 discus. ;)

vera
05-31-2010, 03:50 AM

Very happy day and many tanks later LOL

TC

mathao
05-31-2010, 04:25 AM
This is the thing that always ends up happening. You don't intend to breed, you just get a group of fish and then down the road, a pair forms. Its natural and pairs form, fish breed, its gonna happen. As recommended, get a larger group and the ones that fall off or do not grow as expected, sell them off. ;)

so eddie will you buy the ones i don't want.:p

Eddie
05-31-2010, 05:02 AM
so eddie will you buy the ones i don't want.:p

:p

mmorris
05-31-2010, 09:11 AM
I'd stick with six or seven discus in a tank that size. When you overstock, you are particlularly vulnerable if a power outage occurs (I survived through one that lasted two days earlier this week), and secondly, you have no wriggle room if you are not able to do a wc.