PDA

View Full Version : Final Update for WGTAYLOR

wgtaylor
05-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, this will be my final post in the 2nd annual discus competition. I have enjoyed the contest and appreciate all the compliments and encouragement from everyone. I really do, thank you all.:):):)
Thank you Al, Kenny and Forrest for the opportunity.:):):)

Sorry Al and everyone for the lack of updates this last month. I have been in the hospital a couple times and just now out and recovering in time for the finish.

I raised my 6 discus in a bare bottom 70 gallon tank with 2 large sponge filters and 1 hang on the back filter.
70% - 80% daily water changes and fed beefheart/shrimp mix, flake food and pellets. All that info in more detail is in the first few threads.

I had 2 contest discus that reached about 6 inches, 3 reached about 5 inches and Whitey is still only around 4 1/2 inch.
This group developed a problem with Capillaria worms that caused them all to slow down on growth. It took me too long to figure out exactly why they were slowing. I treated with metro without success but finally found Capillaria eggs using a microscope and treated with Levamisol.
They since have recovered and are doing fine. I may have prevented this problem if I fed medicated food earlier but that is something I just have never done. May have learned a lesson and will consider doing that in the future.
I have a couple pairing and when they start laying eggs I will artificially raise at least one batch to keep. Kenny and Forrest have given me a beautiful strain of albino's to work with so definitely will continue this line. Thanks again Kenny and Forrest.

Here is a group photo I hope you enjoy.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/contest-end.jpg

And a HD video of a pair that is forming and hope to see eggs soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47HOqq-hgGk

Thank you all for making this a great year and I will be here rooting for the next contestants.:)
Bill

David Rose
05-30-2010, 09:39 PM
You've raised some real beauties Bill...best of luck in the contest!

Regrettably, "there can be only one" winner to the contest, but IMO you all have done an excellent job and taught me a lot through this past year!

Thank you for participating and posting throughout the year!
David

underwaterforest
05-30-2010, 10:44 PM
AAAWESOME Bill I love how your group turned out, they just seem to be looking better and better. I wish my fish would grow out like that.

Good luck on the eggs (my fingers are crossed for you).

Alex

Disgirl
05-30-2010, 11:13 PM
That is one beautiful group of discus Bill! Well done and good luck in the competition!
Barb:)

wgtaylor
05-31-2010, 12:46 AM
Thank you Barb, ya...I can use all the luck I can get lately.:):)
Take care.

Thank you Alex....and I wish I could grow plants like you. Awesome.:)

And, Thank you David. I hope you throw your hat in the ring for the next contest, I'll be there to cheer you on.:)
Take care buddy.

vera
05-31-2010, 01:52 AM
What a beautiful group ! i wish i had them in my tank
U 've done a great job , hope yr health problems will remain in the past

Best of luck Bill :)

Eddie
05-31-2010, 02:00 AM
Amazing group Bill, they've grown into some of the nicest Albinos I've seen, under your care. I'm sorry to hear about you being in the hospital. Hope that everything is okay.

Wishing you the best Bill and take care,

Eddie

wgtaylor
05-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Thank you Vera and Eddie,
Got through health problems quick wanting to get back to my discus addiction, I'm good.
I've got a lot of catching up to do to keep up with you two and your discus. Thank you both for the kind words.:):)
Take care

Ed13
05-31-2010, 09:40 AM
WOW, I love the pattern on your group Bill! Size doesn't seem the be far behind even after the set back!

wgtaylor
05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks Ed,
I had pride being able to grow out some really big discus. That's what is great about these contests though, you do get to see everything, simply discus reality show. :D

fishyj
05-31-2010, 12:14 PM
They look fantastic Bill. Best of luck to you, Jim

wgtaylor
05-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks Jim
Looking forward to your pick for judging. You too have done an excellent job.
Best wishes to you !:)

Justice
05-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Very nicely done they really look awesome, Looks like the Judges are going to have a devil of a time deciding whom the winner will be. Best of luck to you.

wgtaylor
05-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey thanks Joe,
Ya, it's amazing all the great looking discus that were raised in this year's competition. I believe it was easier raising them than it will be judging them.:)

DiscusKev
05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Nice group Bill, all of them are great discus fishes, it would be a hard decision to choose 1 from the whole group.

Good luck,

ockyra215
05-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Bill,
Hey You did great with them besides in out of the hospital I hope your alright .
You did a fine job!:D

wgtaylor
05-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks Kevin,
Ya, I submitted pictures of one for judging, not the biggest.
Don't know if it was a mistake or not, should find out before long though.:o

acroken
06-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Bill,
i was wondering about you, glad you are back at it. It has been a real pleasure watching and talking with you throughout this year. Your challenge fish look incredible. Best of luck in the judging. You really can raise some beautiful discus.

Kenny

2075turner
06-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Great job Bill. Sorry to hear about the health issues. It's kind of funny that there hasn't been anything really wrong with the fish, however their owners are falling ill:confused: Maybe we need some large water changes and some homemade beefheart:p. That's going to be one georgous looking pair you have there. I wish you all the best with them and all the best with the contest as well. Take r easy.

Evelyn:)

wgtaylor
06-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Great job Bill. Sorry to hear about the health issues. It's kind of funny that there hasn't been anything really wrong with the fish, however their owners are falling ill:confused: Maybe we need some large water changes and some homemade beefheart:p. That's going to be one georgous looking pair you have there. I wish you all the best with them and all the best with the contest as well. Take r easy.

Evelyn:)
Ha Ha, that's funny Evelyn. Wish you were closer, I could use one of your outstanding gorgeous beautiful male albino. Thank you for all your kind compliments throughout the year. :):)

Bill,
i was wondering about you, glad you are back at it. It has been a real pleasure watching and talking with you throughout this year. Your challenge fish look incredible. Best of luck in the judging. You really can raise some beautiful discus.

Kenny
Thanks Kenny, half of what I know I learned from watching you raise yours. :)

Bill,
Hey You did great with them besides in out of the hospital I hope your alright .
You did a fine job!:D
Had to get better and out of hospital and get back to the discus, I'm good. Thanks a bunch Dave. :)

calihawker
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Great job Bill! Thanks for the awesome posts and pics all year. Stay healthy my friend and good luck!

Larry208
06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Bill:

Great job on your contest fish. Your dedication and hard work really shows through your fish. They are really great looking discus. Learned alot from your post and enjoyed your photos and videos of the progress through out the year. Good luck with the contest.

Larry

Chad Hughes
06-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Bill,

The fish look great! That video that you took is something else! I like the HD! That tank was so clean it looked like the fish were floating in mid air! Gorgeous!

Best wishes and good luck!

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-04-2010, 06:23 AM
William, a fantastic year and quality fish have come to be. Keep up the great job my friend!

Regards
Ahmed ;)

wgtaylor
06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
William, a fantastic year and quality fish have come to be. Keep up the great job my friend!

Regards
Ahmed ;)
Hi Ahmed
You always have something good to say, it is a pleasure to hear from you.:)
Thank you, take care.

Bill,

The fish look great! That video that you took is something else! I like the HD! That tank was so clean it looked like the fish were floating in mid air! Gorgeous!

Best wishes and good luck!
Thanks Chad:)
I picked up a new camera, Fuji AX200 for $88. Shoots good HD video for cheap.

Bill:

Great job on your contest fish. Your dedication and hard work really shows through your fish. They are really great looking discus. Learned alot from your post and enjoyed your photos and videos of the progress through out the year. Good luck with the contest.

Larry
Thanks Larry:)
The hardest part of the contest is trying to come up with something new for each post.

Great job Bill! Thanks for the awesome posts and pics all year. Stay healthy my friend and good luck!
Thanks Steve, I only try to keep up with you all year. Take care buddy.:)

Scribbles
06-07-2010, 03:56 PM
You've done an outstanding job with these fish Bill! They look wonderful! I have really enjoyed reading your posts throughout the year.

Chris

wgtaylor
06-11-2010, 11:52 AM
You've done an outstanding job with these fish Bill! They look wonderful! I have really enjoyed reading your posts throughout the year.

Chris

Thanks Chris
I really appreciated all the very kind compliments from you thru the year, thank you for taking the time. :):)
I get to visit Seattle in a couple weeks, hoping our Pacific Northwest weather will be acting like spring by then.
Take care
Bill