PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Co2 With External Reactor questions

gmani1082
05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi all, here's my first SD question..

I have a 75 gallon tank using eheim pro3 external filter, 6 discus 20 tetras and 4 blue rams.

I have just pulled all my white sand out becuase of how nasty it looked covered in waste and have finally decided to follow my dream and complete a completely planted habitat for my lovely friends.

now. right now i have acquired a 10 lb co2 tank, an external sealed reactor filled with bio balls, ph controller and of course the tanks regulator controls.

i'm trying to understand how to set this thing up. i understand the external seal reactor is the best way to get 100% saturation of co2 so no diffuser. the ph controller is fantastic because i can maintane a constant low ph using the co2 and not adding any ph additives anymore great!

how do i put it all together? here is my idea and tell me what you think.

the co2 will run through the ph controller and solonoid the gas will than reach the reactor.
what i was thinking is what if i splice the outflow of my ehiem external filter tube, and run that tube into the inflow of my reactor the downforce of water from the filter pump will mix with the co2 and exit through the reactors out flow back into the filter and pass back up through the ehiems inflow back to my aquarium...

this way the water will be saturated as it returns through the inflow pipe and i wont have to buy something like a second pump that will have to be dedicated to the reactor and co2 alone../!?!?!

what does everyone else feel about this? is there a better or more logical way i can have all this setup without having to add a second set of tubing into the tank??

thanks and sorry for the long question... :)

babakaty
05-31-2010, 08:07 PM
My suggestion is that you first go to one of the excellent planted tank forums and read up on CO2 setups. I subscribe to several (PM me if you need a web link). There are many stickies on CO2. I personally do not use a controller and (as with most things) there is a difference of opinion on ways to provide CO2. CO2 can mess with your aquarium chemistry in a big way (e.g. kill all your fish) so you should be very familiar with its effects and use before using it in a tank with livestock.

HTH

gmani1082
05-31-2010, 08:23 PM
hi sorry just to clarify, i'm definately taking all my fish out and completely re doing the tank so that it's ready for them, please i'd love to know those links again thanks

gmani1082
05-31-2010, 08:25 PM
There are many stickies on CO2. I personally do not use a controller

i really thought a controller for ph regulation would make total sense in a discus tank?!! interesting...

Frankr409
05-31-2010, 08:31 PM
I am running an Eheim Pro III as well. I am also running Co2 with a Ph Regulator.

I would not splice Co2 into your Eheim. There is a feature on the Pro III that collects and burps out gases that collect inside of it, so it is hard to say how much of it would actually make it into the tank as intended.

I just use a diffuser, and that works absolutely fine. I think there is a lot of mystique about using Co2, just make sure you know your Ph and your Kh. then use a calculator like the one below to determine your disolved Co2. Shoot for a PH that will keep your Co2 below 20 ppm.

http://www.fishfriend.com/aquarium_co2_calculator.html

babakaty
05-31-2010, 08:37 PM
PM sent.

gmani1082
05-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Thank you guys! I Now agree splicing a 300$ filter isn't a genius idea lol thanks. I am still going to consider using the reactor since the 100% sounds pretty good to me but as you say and I even I would think a diffuser can't be that bad.

Now going ahead with a reactor means having to buy a seperate pump that that is dedicated to the co2 system. Any other options?

You guys are great

bettebulldog
05-31-2010, 10:41 PM
You can use any canister filter. Just dont send co2 water back through it. Hook the output of the filter to the in of the external reactor and a hose on the output back up to the tank. real simple. Usually you connect the co2 tube towards the bottom of the reactor and the input from the output of the canister to the top of the reactor so the co2 goes up and the water is flowing against it so it diffuses extremely well.

gmani1082
05-31-2010, 11:25 PM
You can use any canister filter. Just dont send co2 water back through it. Hook the output of the filter to the in of the external reactor and a hose on the output back up to the tank. real simple. Usually you connect the co2 tube towards the bottom of the reactor and the input from the output of the canister to the top of the reactor so the co2 goes up and the water is flowing against it so it diffuses extremely well.

You are a genius! I never thought about going from the outflow of the eheim filter. I wonder do you think this can add more stress to the filter motor?

calihawker
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Go to rex griggs site, bestaquariumregulator.com for a very simple, cheap and diy effective reactor the you can put after the eheim.:)

calihawker
06-03-2010, 10:25 AM
oops, I reread your post and you have a reactor.:) That site is great for anything planted and co2 anyway. Good Luck!

HHaley
06-03-2010, 10:28 PM
My recommendation would be to create a separate loop and use an Eheim hobby pump.

You could also install an UV filter in the look if you desire. Eheim doesn't recommend installing any accessories on their canister filters.

I would also look at the forum located at green leaf aquariums for more information.

http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.com/

The plantedtank.net is also an excellent source.

http://plantedtank.net/forums/

babakaty
06-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a "Rex-type" reactor on the outflow of each of my Eheim 2217's. While it does reduce the flow somewhat, I've noticed no other issues and I get great CO2 dispersion, at least according to my drop checkers.

jimg
06-04-2010, 09:42 PM
My recommendation would be to create a separate loop and use an Eheim hobby pump.

You could also install an UV filter in the look if you desire. Eheim doesn't recommend installing any accessories on their canister filters.

I would also look at the forum located at green leaf aquariums for more information.

http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.com/

The plantedtank.net is also an excellent source.

http://plantedtank.net/forums/

I use a 1250 eheim with an aquamedic reactor.works flawlessly

gmani1082
06-20-2010, 08:03 PM
hey just a follow up i've done the splicing and it works flawlessly i'm very happy i saved that money on another pump plus it just looks so much better...

i'm having a problem with my co2 regulator i think and i've opened a new thread about that!!!

but so far so good, plants are in and it's starting to look awesome , i just hope it all works

thanks everyone!