PDA

View Full Version : Maylasian or African Driftwood?

vstar
05-31-2010, 11:05 PM
I am sure this been posted before. But I am wondering if it a good thing to have a piece of driftwood in a discus tank? I like the look of it in a SA Cichlid Aquarium. Which is the better one to have, Maylasian or African Mopani or is it better not to have one at all? My area has plenty of Cottonwood trees and they make very good driftwood in a aquarium, the bad thing about it is,that they break down easier because it a softer wood.

Pardal
06-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Drift wood are definitively good for Discus , special for display tank, no so much for grow out tanks although you can use it if you want.
Mopani wood is more gnarled and artistic IMO, the malaysian will release a little more tanning which stain your water but soft the water at the same time which is good.
There is also a new sponsor here in simply that has manzanita wood. a two tone color wood very beautiful.
At the end you can use almost any wood but it have to be properly cure. a lot of post here in simply on how to some people, boiled to reduce tannings and make it sink.
You can even use unscented house hold bleach. to kill any bugs or any bacteria living in the wood and then rinse an rinse a let it dry in the sun before put it in your tank. I will recomend the boiling method if you don't know how to work with the bleach.
I just got kind of critized recently for recomend the use of bleach and people
overlook other good suggestions. at the end is a matter of opinion and what
work for me might no do it for you.
GL

tcyiu
06-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Wood that breaks apart is just a PITA in my opinion. I took out all of my drift wood because I have white sand. The little bits that keep flaking off makes the substrate look really bad.

As for chlorine/bleach, I don't think it's a matter of opinion. It's a matter of knowing the chemistry behind it. Sunlight neutralizes bleach. But by itself, it is not enough since wood is porous. What about the bleach that is soaked into the wood?

If you do use bleach, make sure you treat with de-chlorinating agents. Make sure there is NOT even a hint of chlorine smell when you re-introduce into the tank.

Tim

1nvad3r
06-10-2010, 02:11 AM
heya if you havent researched Manzanita wood its very good one. I use it in my Discus tank and you can find nice shapes to fit your need. It is also very solid and last alot longer.HTH

vstar
06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I ordered a piece of mopani, this time around then later I am going to order a piece of manzanita and maylasian. I have seen the mopani in lfs so I ordered it. Will see what look best. Thanks for the info.