PDA

View Full Version : Why quarantine plants when you can sterilize them?

chaoslite
06-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I have read a few post where people recommend quarantining plants, but why would you need to do that if you can sterilize the plants instead? Just curious.

Mishka

Foxfire
06-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Don't know but I would guess that a possible reason is that the plant dies from the treatment and that wouldmess up the tank ... . Also, snail eggs would hatch and reveal themselves in the Q tank in a week or two.

chaoslite
06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but if you use a diluted bleach solution 19/1 for 3 minutes and then soak in water plus 3x dechlor like prime and rinse that tends to kill the snails so I am wondering why quarantine?

Harriett
06-02-2010, 11:00 AM
There are lots of ways to get to the same place, and folks figure out what they are comfortable with as they go along. One of the real benefits to 'hanging around' Simply is that we are all pretty wordy and you really get alot of information if you pay attention and ask questions...and are willing to research! By the way, though I am one who often does a 10 minute very light PP bath for plants, there are some types of plants that tend to melt out from the bleach or PP treatments and so for those, a QT is better. By the way, another way to get rid of snails is to do a bath of a few tablespoons of AGAR stirred into a gallon of the water. Agar can be found in the baking section of any grocery store.
Best regards, good question.
Harriett

chaoslite
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
There are lots of ways to get to the same place, and folks figure out what they are comfortable with as they go along. One of the real benefits to 'hanging around' Simply is that we are all pretty wordy and you really get alot of information if you pay attention and ask questions...and are willing to research! By the way, though I am one who often does a 10 minute very light PP bath for plants, there are some types of plants that tend to melt out from the bleach or PP treatments and so for those, a QT is better. By the way, another way to get rid of snails is to do a bath of a few tablespoons of AGAR stirred into a gallon of the water. Agar can be found in the baking section of any grocery store.
Best regards, good question.
Harriett

Harriett,

Great information! Thank you.

Mishka

reaperkeeper
06-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Harriet.
Can you give a little more info on Agar please. Is it a dry powder or a liquid. I have not had any luck finding it.
Thanks!

Harriett
06-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Sure. It's a powder and is used in baking as a thickening agent. Best of luck finding it. If no luck in your usual grocery store, try a health food store.
Harriett

Disgirl
06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I know that Alum will kill snails, but what about other things we don't want in our tanks? Will Alum work for other things too? I have never heard.
Barb:)

zamboniMan
06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I know that if I spend a lot on a plant I'd rather QT it than risk killing it while attempting to disinfect. So that may be one reason people QT instead of disinfecting.

Harriett
06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Alum just nails snails, no other action for aquatic application.
Best regards,
Harriett

Disgirl
06-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the info. Harriet, I had never heard this. Alum is for pickles and snails only:D!
Barb

Harriett
06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
LOL, Nooooow you got it!
Harriett