PDA

View Full Version : paint question

mugzy213
06-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I was wondering what the best process is to paint on a background? spray paint or brush it on? and what is the best paint to use on glass? I never painted on glass before but i would imagine that you'd have to use some sort of primer?

thanks

Hal

csarkar001
06-04-2010, 07:54 PM
krylon spray works well for me.

mugzy213
06-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Is that a pretty common spray at home depot? Is it better to cover the sides as well in a breeder tank?

Eddie
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM

Ditto

ockyra215
06-04-2010, 10:45 PM
I personaly like to brush it on just my personal pinion:D

mugzy213
06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=ockyra215;651599]I personaly like to brush it on just my personal pinion:D[/QUOTE

what kinda paint do you use for that to brush it on?

William Palumbo
06-04-2010, 11:47 PM
I use an acrylic or latex based paint, and apply it in with a small roller. Goes on thicker than with a brush, creats a bit of a texture, and most times one coat will cover well. PLUS...with these paints, when it comes time to strip them, and most of us do, just wet the paint with hot water, and scrape it off in sheets with a new razor...Bill

nc0gnet0
06-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Why paint the back of the tank when you can buy a piece of acrylic for next to nothing, cut it to fit, paint, and secure it to the back of your tank? If you want a bit of a textured look, get a 2 x 4 light diffuser panel and do the same thing.

And +2 on the krylon.....

peterhql
06-05-2010, 10:56 PM
If you do spray, make sure you do the deed FAR FAR AWAY from everything. I sprayed in the living thinking a couple of drop clothes were enough. It wasn't, the stuff gets in the air and gets everywhere. I was spraying on the ground about 20 ft away from my tank and it somehow manages to get into the water. Top of the tank stands over five ft tall. This was 7 months ago and I still find residue around my living room from time to time.

future spray jobs were done in the garage.

Eddie
06-06-2010, 01:59 AM
If you do spray, make sure you do the deed FAR FAR AWAY from everything. I sprayed in the living thinking a couple of drop clothes were enough. It wasn't, the stuff gets in the air and gets everywhere. I was spraying on the ground about 20 ft away from my tank and it somehow manages to get into the water. Top of the tank stands over five ft tall. This was 7 months ago and I still find residue around my living room from time to time.

future spray jobs were done in the garage.

Sorry to hear, yeah....highly advise to NEVER spray paint ANYTHING indoors. :(

jeff@zina.com
06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I use Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spry cans in Blue Ocean Breeze. Reasonably priced at Walmart and other locations.

Jeff