PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood

KeonTheKing
06-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I just put in 2 medium driftwoods to form a cave. Then i rinsed them out and soaked for an hour because i don't mind the tea color its actually quite natural to the discus. my question is are the nutrients released by the driftwood good or bad for my discus and here are some pics.:confused:

Bagxter
06-07-2010, 06:01 PM
In my experience, they don't mind to be in black water, although it could depend on what kind of wood you have in there... some woods -like "mangle"- can be good for the fish. They liberate "tanins" and other elements that gvie the watter the same propreties than in their places of origin like Rio Negro

But what it is sure, is that you do not need the wood necesarly. Most discus are breed in captivity now and what the need is: clean water, stable parametters and good food.

Nice tank by the way!!

Bagxter
06-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I have some drift wood in my tank too... have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crq3ZEFPsys
Best!

Bagxter
06-07-2010, 06:13 PM
In my experience, they don't mind to be in black water, although it could depend on what kind of wood you have in there... some woods -like "mangle"- can be good for the fish. They liberate "tanins" and other elements that gvie the watter the same propreties than in their places of origin like Rio Negro

But what it is sure, is that you do not need the wood necesarly. Most discus are breed in captivity now and what the need is: clean water, stable parametters and good food.

Nice tank by the way!!
I have lots of driftwood... and very tea like balckwater.
I'm trying to simulate a Rio Negro environment, have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crq3ZEFPsys
Best!

KeonTheKing
06-07-2010, 11:26 PM
thanks and it is african mopani wood and leeches tannins its acually used for alot of discus tanks the label has discus on it . and my discus seems to be happy in it i just want to make the tea color not so dark. i guess ill just do epic water changes -.-

brewmaster15
06-08-2010, 07:49 AM
thanks and it is african mopani wood and leeches tannins its acually used for alot of discus tanks the label has discus on it . and my discus seems to be happy in it i just want to make the tea color not so dark. i guess ill just do epic water changes -.-

You can use Carbon in your filter to remove the tannins to the degree you want.

hth,
al