PDA

View Full Version : How long?

simplyvl
06-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Hi all,

I have got a running 4ft tank and going to start a 3ft tank soon, which will use 3 x sponge filters. How long do I have to add it in the 4ft tank to ensure that my 3ft tank will be fully cycled? If I add it to the 3ft tank do I need fish to keep the cycling going?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

David Rose
06-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I take it to mean that the 4ft has a cycled filter on it? If so, how long has the tank been running and how many fish have you had in it? What kind of media does the 4ft tank filter use or does it have sponge filters as well?

Depending on media and it's maturity, it can take around three weeks or more. If you're using sponge filters in both, I would swap out one of the mature for a new one to jump start the 3ft.

Of course this all depends on the health of your donor tank and if you're moving existing fish or adding new. Even healthy donor tanks can introduce pathogens, parasites etc to newly introduced fish.

Hope that helps, but a little more information would be good.

Take care,
David

simplyvl
06-09-2010, 03:50 AM
I take it to mean that the 4ft has a cycled filter on it? If so, how long has the tank been running and how many fish have you had in it? What kind of media does the 4ft tank filter use or does it have sponge filters as well?

Depending on media and it's maturity, it can take around three weeks or more. If you're using sponge filters in both, I would swap out one of the mature for a new one to jump start the 3ft.

Of course this all depends on the health of your donor tank and if you're moving existing fish or adding new. Even healthy donor tanks can introduce pathogens, parasites etc to newly introduced fish.

Hope that helps, but a little more information would be good.

Take care,
David

Thank you for your reply.

The current 4ft tank has an eheim 2217 in there and approximately 60 guppies. Its been running for about two months.

For my new 3ft I am going to add new fishes in there. What's the best way to speed up the cycle of my tank from scratch? Is adding a raw prawn in there the best method?

Thank you

David Rose
06-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Thank you for your reply.

The current 4ft tank has an eheim 2217 in there and approximately 60 guppies. Its been running for about two months.

For my new 3ft I am going to add new fishes in there. What's the best way to speed up the cycle of my tank from scratch? Is adding a raw prawn in there the best method?

Thank you

If you mean "starting from scratch" using a fishless cycle, there are a variety of choices, would take about five plus weeks for the tank to cycle. Pure 100% ammonia is what I've used. You can usually find it at the local grocery store, ACE hardware or the like.

What filter are you planning on using on the 3ft? You could divide the media (ceramic rings/Eheim Substrat Pro) from the Eheim and use half of it in the new if they're compatible. Add new media on top of the old to fill them both and run them on the exiting tank until you're ready to add new fish to the 3ft.

The timing of moving the new filter to the new tank will depend on how many fish you're planning on adding to start. If only 2-3 fish, you could probably move it right away, but keep in mind you may get a mini-cycle for the filters to catch up depending on your stocking levels.

simplyvl
06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
If you mean "starting from scratch" using a fishless cycle, there are a variety of choices, would take about five plus weeks for the tank to cycle. Pure 100% ammonia is what I've used. You can usually find it at the local grocery store, ACE hardware or the like.

What filter are you planning on using on the 3ft? You could divide the media (ceramic rings/Eheim Substrat Pro) from the Eheim and use half of it in the new if they're compatible. Add new media on top of the old to fill them both and run them on the exiting tank until you're ready to add new fish to the 3ft.

The timing of moving the new filter to the new tank will depend on how many fish you're planning on adding to start. If only 2-3 fish, you could probably move it right away, but keep in mind you may get a mini-cycle for the filters to catch up depending on your stocking levels.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to use 3 x 5cm sponge filters for my new tank. I will try to get hold of some ammonia to start the cycle. Does it take 5 weeks if I use that method? I'm only planning to add about 6 fishes.

Is there a way I can speed up my cycle because my new fish will be delivered in about 3 weeks. I already have the sponge filters in the old tank running so I can transfer them over in about a week or two . Will that help at all? You mentioned about contracting parasites from existing tank and etc.... If I transfer it over without fish for about 3 weeks I believe all parasites such as ich or any form of bacteria will die because it does not have any fishes to leech onto ?

More help would be greatly appreciated.

David Rose
06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to use 3 x 5cm sponge filters for my new tank. I will try to get hold of some ammonia to start the cycle. Does it take 5 weeks if I use that method? I'm only planning to add about 6 fishes.

Is there a way I can speed up my cycle because my new fish will be delivered in about 3 weeks. I already have the sponge filters in the old tank running so I can transfer them over in about a week or two . Will that help at all? You mentioned about contracting parasites from existing tank and etc.... If I transfer it over without fish for about 3 weeks I believe all parasites such as ich or any form of bacteria will die because it does not have any fishes to leech onto ?

More help would be greatly appreciated.

How long have the sponges been in the existing tank? I believe the sponges will need to be in the existing tank for about three weeks before you should move them. I wouldn't bother with the ammonia in this case; unless, you have a few days to spare to test the sponges in the new tank by adding ammonia to 3-4 ppm and it goes back to zero by the next day.

simplyvl
06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
How long have the sponges been in the existing tank? I believe the sponges will need to be in the existing tank for about three weeks before you should move them. I wouldn't bother with the ammonia in this case; unless, you have a few days to spare to test the sponges in the new tank by adding ammonia to 3-4 ppm and it goes back to zero by the next day.

Thank you again David.

Just to confirm, the sponges won't pass anything nasty to my new tank if I cycle it that way? If so, how do I ensure it doesn't ?

Once my sponge filter goes into the new tank and say there isn't any fishes in there for the next 2 - 3 weeks will all the good bacteria die?

David Rose
06-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Thank you again David.

Just to confirm, the sponges won't pass anything nasty to my new tank if I cycle it that way? If so, how do I ensure it doesn't ?

Once my sponge filter goes into the new tank and say there isn't any fishes in there for the next 2 - 3 weeks will all the good bacteria die?

a) You can't. You're idea of transfer them before hand is good though. Again...they need to be in the existing tank for three weeks before the move or I doubt that they will have accumulated enough "good bacteria" to support your new tank and fishes.

b) Yes... you will need to provide a food source...pure ammonia will work being added every couple of days. Then a large water change before adding fish.

simplyvl
06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
a) You can't. You're idea of transfer them before hand is good though. Again...they need to be in the existing tank for three weeks before the move or I doubt that they will have accumulated enough "good bacteria" to support your new tank and fishes.

b) Yes... you will need to provide a food source...pure ammonia will work being added every couple of days. Then a large water change before adding fish.

Thank you David for your time. I believe I have all the information I need now to keep my fishes happy. :D

simplyvl
06-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Just one more question David, if my ammonia levels never went up does that mean my tank will never be cycled.

My current 4ft reading for ammonia is 0 since I started the tank with a few fishes. I have bene doing 2 x 20% water changes per week though.

*scratches head*

David Rose
06-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Just one more question David, if my ammonia levels never went up does that mean my tank will never be cycled.

My current 4ft reading for ammonia is 0 since I started the tank with a few fishes. I have bene doing 2 x 20% water changes per week though.

*scratches head*

You certainly can perform water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrites down while the tank cycles with fish in it, which is one of the oldest methods used. Some fish are more hardy and can tolerate ammonia/nitrites better than others, but damage to the gills or nitrite poisoning can result and losses are common until the tank is fully cycled.

Given the size of guppies vs. discus will impact the frequency of water changes needed (daily recommended), but given your investment in purchasing discus vs. guppies, I would not recommend this approach as the "best way" to cycle your filter/tank.

simplyvl
06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Thank You David. :p

DerekFF
06-12-2010, 03:07 AM
You can get the ammonia going for a about a week to start the cycle and then use safe start. Should jump start your whole cycle process a bit.

simplyvl
06-12-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks will keep that in mind :D

Discus master
06-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I also heard that raisng the tank temp to around 88 f will help that the benifical bacteria grow faster in warmer waters?