PDA

View Full Version : To fix or not to fix???

luckyfind
06-09-2010, 08:00 PM
I would like some feedback on whether or not to try fixing a tank I just picked up. It is a brand new 110 gal Hagen with the end glass broken. Is it worth the time to try and replace the end glass?
Or do I just take it apart and save the glass for other uses,it is 8ml glass.

Any ideas how to fix it if worth the time?
Laurence

David Rose
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I would take a chance and fix it if it were me, but it depends on how fast you want to set it up and feel comfortable learning how to use silicone for this DIY. I'm assuming it has a top and bottom frame, which is the worst part of this project in removing the silicone to take them off in order to replace the end piece.

luckyfind
06-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am in no hurry to do this job but i would be my first attempt at this kind of repair. It does have a top and bottom plastic frame with centre brace.
One main thing I noticed is how would you get the silicone to stay on the end glass as you slide it back into place?
Is there any home tank builders out there?
Laurence

dean9922
06-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Hi Laurence....If it is just the end piece and it is 110 gallon, I would certainly try it.....I replaced a back piece of glass years and years ago and it worked out fine. If you tape the new piece in with a good tape I think you'd be fine as long as nothing gets moved around while silicone cures......Mind you the one I did was only a 55 gallon so 110 is bigger and heavier......Just a note you should reseal the whole tank so you don't have any leaks anywhere else.....IMO
also, I would check glass shops to see if they have a scrap piece of glass as your thickness size is getting up there.....that way you will have more money to fill the tank up with more beauties....lol
good luck

luckyfind
06-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Dean I will save it for the next time you are down this way.lol
This is a 5ft x25 in x 18in new tank that was damaged when it got to the lfs.
So does it need to be taken down all the way or just clean and well and replace end panel with new glass?
Like David said the biggest jogb will be to get the plastic frame off the top and bottom.

David Rose
06-10-2010, 08:08 AM
There are some videos on YouTube that I watched to help me learn to reseal a tank. I think I used "sealing with silicone", "aquarium silicone reseal", "building an aquarium" or the like given this would be a combination job of both resealing and some reassembly. These links below will help give you an idea of methods that you can use.

Removing Old Silicone/Caulking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPGKdwnHhaE

Taping off in preparation to reseal your tank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrE_l3aRnGU

Note: you can use the tape system used here, but I used the same method of reverse taping with just plain blue painter's tape.

dean9922
06-10-2010, 09:07 AM
sounds like it would be a nice addition to your fishroom if you get it up and running.......more discus....whoo hooo!!!!!

luckyfind
06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
David thanks for the info,will do some research for sure.
Dean that also means a stronger stand to be built to house it.
Laurence

ockyra215
06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Well one piece of advise i can give you is this once its fixed make sure you leak test it outside for a couple of days maybe even a week.I had resealed a 55 once gave it to my buddy and it leaked in his apartment and he lived on the third floor so you can see where im going with this lol.:D

yikesjason
06-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Make sure you have checked on all of the costs first. Glass, replacement frames, silicon, all the little tools you need. Compare that to the cost of another tank and decide if the difference is more than the risk you want to take.
There are a lot of good DIY guides out there on other sites. Do you homework and you should be fine.

luckyfind
06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. I will see how long it takes to get the broken glass out of the end and go from there. Like David said it is the hardest to get the glass out of the frames. Any ideas on the frame clean out?
Laurence

David Rose
06-11-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm living dangerously and filled up my resealed tank for the first time last night. So far so good. Here's a link to my project, but I apologize for not having more photo detail. I will be adding more pictures of the set up process, but given I am adding this tank to the June 2010: Aquarium Decorating Contest they will come in a couple days once I finish.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76471

As for removing the glass & clean up. I would lay a canvas type drop cloth to protect the remaining glass sides and bottom. Also some newspapers or another drop cloth around the outside of the tank and just break out the glass with a hammer. To minimalize the scattering of glass, you could put a piece of contact paper cut to size on the damaged side and hammer more gently working from the middle to near the edges of the frame. The contact paper should hopefully hold the broken glass in place for you and fall out as a sheet. From there I would use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove pieces of glass from the from itself finishing with a razor edge utility knife to remove the remaining silicone that still have pieces of glass. Having a wet/dry shop vac on hand would be good as well.

Depending on the type of glass, you could use a glass cutter knife to help score the glass using a flat edge yard stick or similar scoring a square within a square before using the hammer. I work with stained glass as a hobby, so I have one on hand, but it's not essential that you do this.

luckyfind
06-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Well I spent 3 hrs today taking out the broken end glass. Like David said the worst part is getting at the silicone in the top and bottom frames. After trying almost everything I have aroud to dislodge the glass I tried a dental scaling tool. Works excellent with an L shaped end so you can get up between the glass and frame.
Laurence

dean9922
06-13-2010, 12:06 AM
That-a-boy Laurence....you can do it....more discus...does life get any better...lol
good luck and sounds like the hard part is just about done!!!!
I used a utility knife to get my bottom frames off my tanks in order to put the vinyl blue coating on my tanks that way you don't see the bottom brace........just kept running the blade slowly over and over on both sides of the frame and whalah...off they came.....

David Rose
06-13-2010, 06:51 AM
You'll need some denatured alcohol usually found at a good hardware store to help with the final clean up. It will clean and remove any remaining silicone with a little "elbow grease". Just pour it onto an old rag and rub away. Stay away from your remaining good silicone seams though so as to not damage them.

luckyfind
06-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the tip on the cleaning up of silicone.
Laurence

dean9922
06-26-2010, 09:47 AM
So did it get fixed Laurence.....just wondering how you made out....

David Rose
06-26-2010, 09:48 AM
+1 Inquiring minds....

luckyfind
06-26-2010, 06:27 PM
I had a little honey do list to complete and now will get back to the tank. I was at a point were I was just going to put in a thin piece of glass and sell for a reptile cage. I am the type were I have to try something at least once.
I found a dremmel tool with the felt wheel works to clean up the glass realy well and then a wipe with cloth and alcohol.
I ordered the glass this morning and should be in by mid week. Will do a follow up then.
Laurence