PDA

View Full Version : Glass drill?

ockyra215
06-10-2010, 11:26 PM
:DWhere can you get a drill bit to drill thru glass for one inch bulk heads? Any info would be great thanks Dave:D

tcfish
06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Here you go--- http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/Diamond-Drill-Bit.shtml#DiamondDrillBit
Cant beat them for the money,drilled 50 holes still good to go.

Chad Hughes
06-10-2010, 11:48 PM
I bought mine from Jehmco.com. Quality of the bit depends on how many tanks you are going to drill. If you are only doing one, borrow a drill bit or buy a cheap one. Sintered bits last forever and are expensive. You can drill hundreds of holes with this type. Diamond "coated" bits are for less hard core applications and will last you a few holes, but I wouldn't count on lifetime performance out of these. They are typically inexpensive. Ebay has some too!

One word of caution. A 1" bulkhead usually requires a 1 3/4" bit. This all depends on how the bulkhead is manufactured. I use all 1" bulkheads on my tanks and mine require a 1 3/4" hole. If you already have the bulkhead, measure the outside diameter of the threads to get an accurate size for the bit.

Hope that helps!

jeff@zina.com
06-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Ditto on Jehmco as a purchase point. I had a "cheap" glass drill bit and it lasted about three holes before it chipped a tank. Even dressing the bit with a hone didn't get me much further. Also, order the bulkheads and matching bit, Jehmco will get you exactly what you need.

Jeff

DiscusOnly
06-11-2010, 01:47 PM
:DWhere can you get a drill bit to drill thru glass for one inch bulk heads? Any info would be great thanks Dave:D

If you don't plan to drill a lot of tank, there is a seller that sell bit on Ebay from Hong Kong pretty cheap. It works, but will dull after X amount of tank. How big is the tank you are drilling? If it's a 10 or 20, they are tough without practice cause the glass is thin.

If the tank is not too big, you can bring it over my house and use my bit. I have both the cheap ebay one and one I used for granite counter top. You know where I live. I think my bit are for 1" bulkhead but will have to double check. Of course you will need to drill it yourself cause I don't want to take the reponsibility of ruining your tank.

acroken
06-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Dave,
I can drill them for you. How many holes do you need drilled?
Kenny

tcfish
06-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I will say this again-- http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/Diamond-Drill-Bit.shtml#DiamondDrillBit I have owned a glass shop and have worked with glass many years, have drilled more holes in mirrors and glass and heavy glass than most can comprehend ,glass drilling machines, somaca diamond drill bits at a 160.00 bucks a pop wholesale you name it i have probably used it.These bits for the money are the way to go.
I just use a spray bottle of water for lubricate dont recommend it unless you have drilled thousands of holes,you should probably use anti freeze for lubricant there are some tricks to drilling glass and at one time I posted it on another thread [forum],if interested I can dig up some pics and advice in more detail.

Foxfire
06-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I will say this again-- http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/Diamond-Drill-Bit.shtml#DiamondDrillBit I have owned a glass shop and have worked with glass many years, have drilled more holes in mirrors and glass and heavy glass than most can comprehend ,glass drilling machines, somaca diamond drill bits at a 160.00 bucks a pop wholesale you name it i have probably used it.These bits for the money are the way to go.
I just use a spray bottle of water for lubricate dont recommend it unless you have drilled thousands of holes,you should probably use anti freeze for lubricant there are some tricks to drilling glass and at one time I posted it on another thread [forum],if interested I can dig up some pics and advice in more detail.

Please do! A lot of us just want to read how to do it for the fun even if we never get around to doing it. :D

ockyra215
06-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow thanks guys I have 5 tanks and would need about 11 holes drilled.I am going to build a small system and I have a 180 gallon tank and 4 55 gallon tanks drilled I want 3 in the 180 and 2 in each 55 gallon tanks. Kenny if you can do this I ll take you up on it.Van do you think your bit can do eleven holes?I am going to check out ebay also.Well I need to research this a little more.Thanks Gang.
Dave

Elite Aquaria
06-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Dave,

I would stick with a standard size like 1" for all you holes. If you are using it for an overflow on a central system this size would be fine. Just add 2 - 3 on the larger tanks.

DiscusOnly
06-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Wow thanks guys I have 5 tanks and would need about 11 holes drilled.I am going to build a small system and I have a 180 gallon tank and 4 55 gallon tanks drilled I want 3 in the 180 and 2 in each 55 gallon tanks. Kenny if you can do this I ll take you up on it.Van do you think your bit can do eleven holes?I am going to check out ebay also.Well I need to research this a little more.Thanks Gang.
Dave

Dave,

My "real" diamond bit will have no problem drilling that amount of holes as this is not the "coated" ebay one. The ebay ones, probably a few more holes and it will be shot.

I just checked the hole size. It's not 1 3/4 so you will need to use 1" bulkheads that requires 1 5/8" instead of 1 3/4

With that many holes and tanks, your best bet is probably to invest in a bit yourself.

BTW.. how are the frys doing? They should have put on some size. 1.75"? They turn 2 months old this week.

ockyra215
06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Van frys doing good a little bigger that a half dollar some are a little smaller one really peppered one is the biggest go figure.I havent culled any yet im going to wait a month before I start doing that.

DiscusOnly
06-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks Dave. See and I picked the peppered one too :D I am sure the pepper will go away. It did with the dad when he went from juvie to adult.

Van

ockyra215
06-15-2010, 10:35 PM
I was actually looking for a classic looking pigeon blood so if hes peppered so be it.I am happy with all of them!Cant thank you enough.:D

acroken
06-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Dave,
let me know when you are ready. i have everything needed.

Kenny

PC1
08-08-2010, 12:01 AM
I had 4 1" holes to drill in 2 20 gallon tanks. Bought the bit off ebay like $14 or so. made a wooden template to help keep it still. Made a circle damn out of plumbers putty placed the piece of wood on the putty filled the damn with water and a few mins later...... Hole! lol

matt511
08-09-2010, 02:35 AM
You should look at they have some pretty good deals and they even have instructional videos.

Matt

PC1
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
If someone you know, knows how to do it and is willing to. I'd say go for it. Doing it for the first time is nerve racking. I was nervouse with every hole I had to make.

matt511
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Sorry about my post that said absolutely nothing. What I was trying to recommend was www.glass-holes.com. Like I said before great instructional videos and great products with cheap shipping.