PDA

View Full Version : Help on a planted 90gal.

elaw
06-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm moving up from a 40 gal to a 90 gal to accomodate my 4 discus. I know I started them off on the wrong foot because they should have more buddies in the tank so I will be hopefully place 5-6 more in the new tank.

Any suggesstions on when to acclimate them to the new tank and also with respects to this being a planted tank, at what point does a CO2 system become neccessary? I don't want to run CO2 if I absolutely don't have to.

I also could use help on filtration, I am thinking of a couple of HOB filters and an airstone, or should I go cannister filter, please consider no CO2 system will be installed.

Thanks for the help. I need it!

Highsea
06-12-2010, 08:13 PM
I would go with a cannister filter on a planted tank. HOB will remove what co2 is in the tank.

jimg
06-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Co2 is not necessary if you use warm water discus plants, neither is anything more than 120w of light.
If you want high light plants you will need the co2 and 200w min. light.
I use a large canister filter and a trickle filter in both my 90's.
I do not like to use just canister filters, they use up too much oxygen.
you can use a canister with a hob.
co2 will just need to be raised to a few more bps , not a big deal just have to keep surface disturbance to a minimum.
Imo the best thing to do is make a trickle filter for bio purposes and use the canister for mechanical cleaning

Foxfire
06-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Co2 is not necessary if you use warm water discus plants, neither is anything more than 120w of light.
If you want high light plants you will need the co2 and 200w min. light.
I use a large canister filter and a trickle filter in both my 90's.
I do not like to use just canister filters, they use up too much oxygen.
you can use a canister with a hob.
co2 will just need to be raised to a few more bps , not a big deal just have to keep surface disturbance to a minimum.
Imo the best thing to do is make a trickle filter for bio purposes and use the canister for mechanical cleaning

Very good advice and I second it.

elaw
06-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks guys, I'm thinking maybe two HOB's or 1 and 1 canister. Hope to post pics of it in a few months. Thanks!