PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Marc Weiss

Kingdom Come Discus
06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
I really enjoyed listening to Marc. It puts into perspective just how far the hobby has progressed in the last thirty years, or has it?

The thing I like best about Marc is he states it like he sees it. A lot of his information seems way out of date to many. Some of it seems just plain wrong to others. One thing for sure is he has been around for as long as anyone in the hobby and listening to what he has to say, (all of it), was very entertaining for me. I hope I can spend a few more nights sitting at a table listening to his methods, remedies and stories.

Thanks for your time Marc!!!!!

2075turner
06-17-2010, 05:47 PM
ditto, I had fun listening to Marc as well. Not to mention the "Ball handling", LOLOLOLOLOLO:p:p:p:D:D:D

Wink Wink, Nuged nuged. (Inside joke between myself, Marc, and Jon Barrnett...)

babakaty
06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Gosh Evelyn, I obviously went to bed too early that evening! I can't wait to hear more!!

tdiscusman
06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I really enjoyed listening to Marc. It puts into perspective just how far the hobby has progressed in the last thirty years, or has it?

The thing I like best about Marc is he states it like he sees it. A lot of his information seems way out of date to many. Some of it seems just plain wrong to others. One thing for sure is he has been around for as long as anyone in the hobby and listening to what he has to say, (all of it), was very entertaining for me. I hope I can spend a few more nights sitting at a table listening to his methods, remedies and stories.

Thanks for your time Marc!!!!!

+1.
I'm too have enjoyed listening to Marc. He has vast knowledge and experience in wide range of topics. I think, many felt his information it's mostly wrong or not applicable to hobbyists, but the method he'd described is still being used in Asia. And as you know, they do produce some nice discus in Asia :D

Tony

alpine
06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I was very intrigued and found his lecture very interesting .
Thank you Mark,

Roberto Munoz

Darrell Ward
06-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I could say a lot about Marc Weiss and his "reef products", but I would get banned from the site. He is a great salesman, no question, and I wish him the best. :)

2075turner
06-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Gosh Evelyn, I obviously went to bed too early that evening! I can't wait to hear more!!

Ah we all have many secrets:p

ShinShin
06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I really enjoyed Marc, not just our discus discussions over the days, but personal things as well. The two areas that he touched on that I whole heartily agreed with was diet and water. Over the years, I have felt that alot of American discus keepers are getting lazy and are keeping discus the way that they want to keep them and not the way discus want to be kept. Just like our own personal diets have suffered for convience, so have the fish's diet. Water conditions suffer as well. Too many people say that their discus are fine in parameters suited for African chichlids. Since most discus diseases are stress induced, every aspect that has been compromised directly adds to this discus stress until the "proverbial straw" breaks the discus' back (in this case health). The disease sections on all discus forums are full of tell tale stories of unproperly kept discus and the tale of woes this brings. I was surprised to see in an old thread that many people think discus only live 3-4 years of age. No wonder they think their discus are thriving in wrong water and poor diets in 6 months. I have PM'd some people and asked them to let me know how they are "thriving" in 3-4 years and they were surprised that a discus can be thriving at such "an old age".

Kingdom Come Discus
06-20-2010, 03:19 AM
I really enjoyed Marc, not just our discus discussions over the days, but personal things as well. The two areas that he touched on that I whole heartily agreed with was diet and water. Over the years, I have felt that alot of American discus keepers are getting lazy and are keeping discus the way that they want to keep them and not the way discus want to be kept. Just like our own personal diets have suffered for convience, so have the fish's diet. Water conditions suffer as well. Too many people say that their discus are fine in parameters suited for African chichlids. Since most discus diseases are stress induced, every aspect that has been compromised directly adds to this discus stress until the "proverbial straw" breaks the discus' back (in this case health). The disease sections on all discus forums are full of tell tale stories of unproperly kept discus and the tale of woes this brings. I was surprised to see in an old thread that many people think discus only live 3-4 years of age. No wonder they think their discus are thriving in wrong water and poor diets in 6 months. I have PM'd some people and asked them to let me know how they are "thriving" in 3-4 years and they were surprised that a discus can be thriving at such "an old age".

Well said,

Thanks,
Kraig

MCMDISCUS
07-15-2010, 12:16 PM
I bought fish back in the early nineties from Marc. They were beautiful fish. I kept them for several years until the great snowstorm in 93 killed the power for a week...along with the fish.

I was very successful using Marc's method for keeping fish.

I do have to admit that I was never successful breeding fish until I started following the advice of Cary Strong year later.

Everyone also remember...not only did the methods of keeping discus over the years change.....but the Discus may well have changed to adapt to the conditions of fish tanks here in North America.

I have never kept wild fish....so I have no opinion on how they should be kept.

Try not to give Marc to hard of a time....He was a pioneer who did a lot to grow this great hobby. I still have a bunch of those old magazine articles he wrote about discus.