PDA

View Full Version : Wild Discus from Brazil, good or bad idea?

UnconsciousDiscus
06-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I was recently given an opportunity to purchase some wild Discus from Brazil. The price per fish is really attractive. However, these fish will be coming straight from Brazil with no prior quarantine. In addition, the seller made it very clear that I would have to pick up the fish the very same day that he receive the shipment. These are Red Tucurui Discus at 4 inch or so. The seller used to own a fish store and I did purchase two wild's from him during his store closing. One of them died within two weeks and there other one passed away last week. I did ask to see if this will be the same source as the ones he had at the store, but he did not give me an answer in his reply. The Discus that died within two weeks was clearly sick from the beginning, it wasn't swimming upright when I put it in my tank.

Should I go ahead with the order? I was planning to get 5 of them so that maybe it will lessen the stress level being a group.

DiscusKev
06-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Don't see much of a problem as you could do the QT procedure yourself. However, it is the importer responsibility to QT the stock before selling them.

Thats my thoughts, personally I would not risk it.

Darrell Ward
06-22-2010, 06:58 PM
It should be fine if you acclimate them, get them eating, and then clean them of parasites. Remember, they have traveled a long way under horrible conditions. The people that handle cargo don't care, and throw them around. It may take awhile to get them in shape. I have a friend who imports pikes now and then. You should see the condition some of these boxes arrive in. On the plus side, you can get great specimens this way. Just expect to have to baby them back into shape.

Ed13
06-22-2010, 07:42 PM
I was recently given an opportunity to purchase some wild Discus from Brazil. The price per fish is really attractive. However, these fish will be coming straight from Brazil with no prior quarantine. In addition, the seller made it very clear that I would have to pick up the fish the very same day that he receive the shipment. These are Red Tucurui Discus at 4 inch or so. The seller used to own a fish store and I did purchase two wild's from him during his store closing. One of them died within two weeks and there other one passed away last week. I did ask to see if this will be the same source as the ones he had at the store, but he did not give me an answer in his reply. The Discus that died within two weeks was clearly sick from the beginning, it wasn't swimming upright when I put it in my tank.

Should I go ahead with the order? I was planning to get 5 of them so that maybe it will lessen the stress level being a group.
Small order, of low cost fish, from an importer no longer in the business, with a dubious track record so far...:confused:

Pardal
06-23-2010, 01:51 AM
If is wild what you looking for check with snook here in simply he is an sponsor. I won't do it unless you looking for an specific strain.:confused:

UnconsciousDiscus
06-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Thank you all for your feedbacks.

The importer is still doing business out of his own home. He had undergone some serious spinal surgeries that prevents him from donig all the maintainence at the store. Usually he would import stingrays from Brazil and other areas. He also listed tons of plecos that is at a very low price.

I looked into Snook's discus, but he only had Heckels at the price that I can afford at this point. Not looking to get something fancy, just something to start. Still a newbie to Discus, so not sure if I can properly care for such expensive fish. I did manage to kill two wilds, so I am now even more hesitant to purchase new ones.

I will be housing them in a 46 bow front with one sponge filter, one piece of driftwood, and an Albino BN. I did 90% WC with tap water and Prime weekly. Not sure if my water is too hard, but they seem to be swimming up toward the top to get air. I believe the last Discus died because of the WC. There's also a bunch of bubbles after the WC as well. My African Cichlids do not seem to be effected by this as dramatically as the Discus though.

Can someone give me a run down of what is needed for QT'ing wilds?

jball1125
06-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Personaly if your looking to start with discus you should start with domesticated strains that are already free of any parasites. You could probably get them for much cheaper from some of the sponsors on the site. Discus are not hard to keep once you have things under control. You should do lots of research before jumping in to them again. One thing you should consider is to age your water for atleast 24 hours with good air and heat. Learning the parameters of your water straight from the tap and from your tank.

kaceyo
06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
From wht I've read, acclimating and cleaning up wilds would take, at least, a good basic understanding of water chemistry and use of medications involved.
You don't seem to be at that point yet so I'd suggest you pass on it.

Darrell Ward
06-23-2010, 04:29 PM
If you lack experience, I would recommend starting with domestics first instead of fresh wilds. If you lived close enough, I would give you a group of 6"+ adults to learn on. I need to get rid of some fish, this place is starting to look like a LFS. :)

krucianking
06-23-2010, 07:15 PM
D Ward I am in the process of starting a 72 bow planted tank what kind of discus are u selling?

Darrell Ward
06-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Mostly Red/white, red turq., blue turq. These fish are 5-7 years old. I'd probably be willing to give them to a good home, picked up of course.

UnconsciousDiscus
06-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks Darrell for your generous offer. However, I am over in Minnesota.

I guess I will pass on the wilds this time and start with some domestics. All the domestics around here in Minnesota are quite pricey. Either that or they are really small for them to be affordable, understandably. Too bad Darrell you don't ship :)

jball1125
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Kenny has a very big shipment coming in and every one of the fish is of very good quality. There are some very nice strains at more than reasonable prices. If you do a search for "July shipment" it will show up. I have never ordered from him but I hear nothing but great things about his fish and customer service. It's always smart to buy from a simply discus sponsor.

Jhhnn
06-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Kenny has a very big shipment coming in and every one of the fish is of very good quality. There are some very nice strains at more than reasonable prices. If you do a search for "July shipment" it will show up. I have never ordered from him but I hear nothing but great things about his fish and customer service. It's always smart to buy from a simply discus sponsor.

I recommend Kenny wholeheartedly, and would offer that buying half a dozen of the biggest discus you can afford, all of the same variety, is probably the smart move. His 4" cobalts are bargain priced, well worth the money-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=80673

Call him yesterday, as they'll all go fast... Lots of other very nice fish at very reasonable prices, too...

Willie
06-26-2010, 04:15 PM
If you don't start with healthy discus, the chances of success are low even for advanced hobbyists. Most people spend way too much money on everything else. I recommend you allocate most of your budget on getting great quality fish.

PM me in Minneapolis if you want some leads, Willie

ifixoldhouses
07-10-2010, 09:54 PM
If you lack experience, I would recommend starting with domestics first instead of fresh wilds. If you lived close enough, I would give you a group of 6"+ adults to learn on. I need to get rid of some fish, this place is starting to look like a LFS. :)

I took Darrell up on this, he gave me 8 huge discus, only had to drive 4 hrs there and back:bandana: thanks so much, I love em. Theres some nice folks on SimplyDiscus.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/ifixoldhouses/july10009.jpg?t=1278812985

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/ifixoldhouses/july10010.jpg?t=1278813110

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/ifixoldhouses/july10011.jpg?t=1278813174

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/ifixoldhouses/july10012.jpg?t=1278813240

brewmaster15
07-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Yes there most certainly are some Nice Folks here.;). a few will give their shirt off their back for you. :) Glad you got some nice fish to work with from Darrell....Nice Job Darrell.:)

-al

Tito
07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Dude the pics are terrible. LOL

What color are they?

yim11
07-13-2010, 01:46 AM
If you don't start with healthy discus, the chances of success are low even for advanced hobbyists. Most people spend way too much money on everything else. I recommend you allocate most of your budget on getting great quality fish.

Very true and GREAT advice!!!