PDA

View Full Version : What to Run in My Fluval 405?

DiscusLoverJeff
06-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Hello Friends,

I just picked up a Fluval 405 to run my 95 gallon Planted/Discus tank. I also have an AquaClear 110 as well. I am wondering what filter media to run in the Fluval? Since I have plants I am sure I need carbon?

Thank you,

DiscusLoverJeff

Len
06-24-2010, 11:35 PM
No need to use carbon for a planted tank. It would probably just remove some of the nutrients from your water in any event. I have a 77 gal planted heavily and use ceramic bio media, bio balls and foam, and my plants are all doing great.

DiscusKev
06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Fine filter pad, coarse filter pad, and ceramic rings is what I could think of. I personally don't think bio-balls are as effective as they are in trickle filter as they are not working efficiently when placed under water. Carbon could be dangerous to Discus as if the carbon filter gets 'stuffed' up, it will release the toxic back into the tank.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi Friends,

Since I have 4 baskets in my Fluval 405 I was going to use the lower 2 baskets with Pre-Filter Media and the 2 upper baskets with Bio Max media. Does this sound about right for a planted aquarium? Since it is a planted/discus tank, there will not be any carbon in the Fluval.

Thanks for all your help,

DiscusLoverJeff

jeff@zina.com
06-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Forget the fact that it's planted, it has no bearing on the filtration other than the fact that some of the nitrates will be taken up by the plants. Personally, I only run sponges or pads in my filters, no rings or other "bio media" since that chore is handled by the pads as well as the mechanical filtration.

In your case, your choices are valid, despite what I or others might choose. Especially since none of us will ever have the exact identical conditions to your tanks. If after six months you believe your filtration is inadequate, try something else.

Jeff

DiscusKev
06-27-2010, 12:42 PM
I would do Pre filter, bio, pre filter, bio, this way you can trap big debris...its like making a sandwich haha.