PDA

View Full Version : Arrived home, good/bad news

Eddie
06-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Man,its been a tough 2 days of travel but I finally arrived home last night. I came home to having 75% of my fry either dead or suffering from bacteria infection. I ended up scrapping all of them. It was a chance I tried to take but the wife couldn't put forth the time/effort like I do. She was handling the 2 kids and all sorts of crazy stuff that seemed to be going on while I was gone. Anyways, she left last Monday for the states so none of my fish were being fed and the little ones had zero attention for 7 days, it was not a good turn out for them. She also left the freezer door open and all my mix was warm/wet. GRRRR:mad: The good news is that all my adults are in stellar shape and after a few days of some TLC, they will be sent to breeding tanks. LOL :D Another good thing is that I had a problem with my Solomons a few months back that turned out to be suspected poisoning from some manzanita wood that I had added to their tank. I had been storing the wood outside for over a year and something must have got into the wood. I boiled the wood before adding it to the tank but still, their seemed to be a large amount of black fungus coming the wood. Anyways, long story short, the Solomons went off food for an entire month in my care, then I left them while I went on Vacation for another 21 days (without food). I get home last night and they are up in front, begging for food. Threw in a little Prime Reef and they all ate. That was a relief, as I can get my breeders to make more babies but I can't replace the Solomons. Hopefully I can bring them to breeding condition and eventually use their offspring. Man....going on vacation is great but it blows sometimes too.

Take care,

Eddie

DiscusKev
06-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Welcome back home Eddie, sorry to hear your loss, those fry were looking in top notch condition aswell! Well at least your solomons are back in action and your pairs can get back to breeding machines :)

Looking forward for updates,

LizStreithorst
06-27-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry about your problems, Eddie, but glad that you are home safe and sound and that your adults are OK. Not everyone can care for fish, but I'd be royally pissed about the freezer.

dean9922
06-27-2010, 06:33 PM
glad you made it home....long trip for you, for sure....I hope the soloman's keep up eating....take care.....give those fish of yours the TLC they need.....
ps...seemed funny not seeing your replies on simply....lol

Chad Hughes
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Eddie,

Glad to hear that you had a safe trip. Sorry to hear of all your frustrations. It's nice to hear that there is a bit of a silver lining though!

Best wishes!

Eddie
06-27-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry about your problems, Eddie, but glad that you are home safe and sound and that your adults are OK. Not everyone can care for fish, but I'd be royally pissed about the freezer.

ROTFLMAO!!!! That is hilarious Liz! To be honest, that does really piss me off. I had 2 batches of some killer mix that my fish were murdering and all that work and ingredients down the drain. Welcome to my life.....its not just when I go on vacation either. LOL :D

Take care,

Eddie

Eddie
06-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks everybody, just glad to be back. The 2 days of travel SUCKED!!! :o

Take care,

Eddie

2075turner
06-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Eddie,

Glad you made it home okay. Unfortunatly I can understand the mixed feelings about going on vacation to come home to this. It just sucks when things don't go right. Glad your adults are all okay and that it's just the juvies. Now get going and breed some more little ones:)

Ed13
06-27-2010, 07:25 PM
You're home buddy, it's ALL good news!;)

Eddie
06-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks Evelyn and Ed...it feels good being with the fishes again. :D

Disgirl
06-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Glad to hear you made it home safely Eddie. Sorry to hear about the losses though, fish and food. I'm sure those adult fish must have been so happy to see your face peering in at them when you got home. You will soon have lots of fry, get those fish a spawnin' on those cones!
Barb:)

Eddie
06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear you made it home safely Eddie. Sorry to hear about the losses though, fish and food. I'm sure those adult fish must have been so happy to see your face peering in at them when you got home. You will soon have lots of fry, get those fish a spawnin' on those cones!
Barb:)

Heck yeah, cones are ready for action! :D Should be no time at all before they are spawning. I dont want to get them going yet though, need to condition them for a bit. They have to be weak from the long time with no food or water changes.

Take care Barb,

Eddie

vera
06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Hey Eddie
welcome back , u had the longest trip of them all !!
man, it sux that all fry didnt make it , really sorry to hear that , knowing how excited and trilled u were about them , but as u say -not the end of the world -u'll have more in no time especially with Barbs magic cones in action :)

Take care

yim11
06-27-2010, 09:20 PM
As long as you made it back OK that's all that counts! You will have eggs on the cone in a few days so nothing to worry about there!

Great meeting you my friend, look forward to our next round of beers!

Take care,
-jim

dalejordan
06-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Man,its been a tough 2 days of travel but I finally arrived home last night. I came home to having 75% of my fry either dead or suffering from bacteria infection. I ended up scrapping all of them. It was a chance I tried to take but the wife couldn't put forth the time/effort like I do. She was handling the 2 kids and all sorts of crazy stuff that seemed to be going on while I was gone. Anyways, she left last Monday for the states so none of my fish were being fed and the little ones had zero attention for 7 days, it was not a good turn out for them. She also left the freezer door open and all my mix was warm/wet. GRRRR:mad: The good news is that all my adults are in stellar shape and after a few days of some TLC, they will be sent to breeding tanks. LOL :D Another good thing is that I had a problem with my Solomons a few months back that turned out to be suspected poisoning from some manzanita wood that I had added to their tank. I had been storing the wood outside for over a year and something must have got into the wood. I boiled the wood before adding it to the tank but still, their seemed to be a large amount of black fungus coming the wood. Anyways, long story short, the Solomons went off food for an entire month in my care, then I left them while I went on Vacation for another 21 days (without food). I get home last night and they are up in front, begging for food. Threw in a little Prime Reef and they all ate. That was a relief, as I can get my breeders to make more babies but I can't replace the Solomons. Hopefully I can bring them to breeding condition and eventually use their offspring. Man....going on vacation is great but it blows sometimes too.

Take care,

Eddie

Sorry to hear about the young and food bud, but the most important things made it !! I always say " if Discus were easy, they'd be $.25 each not $250.00 ea " It was a real pleasure talking to you the other day....nice to put a voice to those emails.

Always here for ya pal, should you ever need anything !!

WELCOME HOME :-)

decula
06-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Ya know, for all the good stuff you do for everyone else, this seems
pretty messed up.

Glad to hear you made it home safe, Eddie.

Alok
06-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Hey Eddie, really sorry to hear that you lost the fry and the food. But I am glad your adults are doing good....

Eddie
06-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks everybody! It's the nature of the beast. Taking vacations from the fish is always a risk, and I am glad that all the adults are good. Will keep you guys updated on the spawning activity! ;)

All the best,

Eddie

Alok
06-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Reading about you and Evelyn is making me nervous to go out even for the upcoming long weekend.....:(

calihawker
06-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the losses Eddie but I'm glad you're home safe and sound.:) We have the same issue here trying to leave for any length of time. To many animals.:o

2075turner
06-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Reading about you and Evelyn is making me nervous to go out even for the upcoming long weekend.....:(

What happend to me was just bad luck, enjoy yourself, there is life away from Discus, shhhh, I don't want Norm hear me say that....

I have lots of other tanks that I had no problem with

Eddie
06-30-2010, 06:22 AM

Dont worry, 4 days is cake! I am leaving again for 16 days in a few weeks! :o

All the best,

Eddie

ashaysathe
06-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Good Luck Eddie. May be have good friendship with your neighbor

Eddie
06-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Good Luck Eddie. May be have good friendship with your neighbor

Thanks Ashay! LOL, I dont really speak Japanese! Its all good, I am not worried about them being on their own anymore. Definitely will never leave fry again though. :o:o

Take care,

Eddie