PDA

View Full Version : CT Discus Days ..Monthly open house and discussions

brewmaster15
06-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi all,
I've always been really free with my time when Discus Hobbyists want to stop by and Chat... but life gets busy and sometimes its just really hard to do all we need to do or want to do.... and Summers are just so packed for me it gets even harder! ......so I was Talking with my better half and She agreed with a whacko Idea I had this past weekend while we were camping.

I'll float it here... I'm going to be opening the Hatchery for a monthly meeting of local Discus Nuts....anyone is welcome to attend.. The goal...Get together and talk fish once a month here at my hatchery. I'm hoping that if people know when theses CT Discus Days are scheduled they'll be able to fit them in to their busy schedules too... I'll try to plan these meetings a month or two in advance. No obligation to attend ..its more a "hey I'm free tonight and they're talking discus at Al's hatchery"

If anyone is interested in attending these CT Discus Days Drop me a Pm and let me know you are interested and I'll let you know when the next one is.

I see this as a get together lasting a couple of hours usually on a Saturday or Sunday after noon... but July is looking really packed here for a weekend meeting and with planning going on for The NorthEast Discus Summer get together..slots are filling fast ...

So this first meeting I'd like to schedule is for Friday July 23 7:00-10:00pm ish Appetizers and beverages will be provided.

Any area hobbyists interested in Coming by for some discus discussions then please let me know. I eventually will try to put together group orders for livestock that coincide with these meetings if theres an interest and I'll have my BH mix and Australian Blackworms availible.

and if it doesn't pan out for July, I'll try to find a weekend in Late August that is open.

Take care,
al

DerekFF
06-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Man....this is the 3rd sad face for me in 2 days! once with kennys blue scorps i missed out on, your blackworm video contest and now CT days!!!! *** I need to get outta CALI!

brewmaster15
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Man....this is the 3rd sad face for me in 2 days! once with kennys blue scorps i missed out on, your blackworm video contest and now CT days!!!! *** I need to get outta CALI!

well, I can't help you with the scorps or the CTdays... but you still have a few days until the 30Th of june to get a video in!:D

-al

Chad Hughes
06-28-2010, 02:56 PM

You can also attend our SWDA meeting in August! :)

That being said, I am a bit bummed that I can't make it to your meeting too Al! :(

brewmaster15
06-28-2010, 03:07 PM

That being said, I am a bit bummed that I can't make it to your meeting too Al! :(

Chad if you are ever in the area I'll put something together here just for you!:)

-al

Chad Hughes
06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Chad if you are ever in the area I'll put something together here just for you!:)

-al

LOL! Wow! I feel honored..... I'll try and give you fair warning. :D

Take care brother!

csarkar001
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Al:

your generosity continues to humble me. i cant tell yet if i can make it but i'm going to try my best to come.

Chandan

brewmaster15
06-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Al:

your generosity continues to humble me. i cant tell yet if i can make it but i'm going to try my best to come.

Chandan

Hope you can Make it Chandan:):), we didn't get much time to talk in Dallas.

Take care!

-al

John_Nicholson
06-29-2010, 02:50 PM

I've met him...your not missing much.......

-john

Wish I could make it but I am scheduled to hit Florida the next day. Ya'll have fun. Al if you want to take some pics and write it up for the NADA newsletter. I would love to see some info on regional clubs.

John_Nicholson
06-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Dammit Al your slipping. I figured I would get some kind of a response out of ya...LOL.

-john

brewmaster15
06-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I've met him...your not missing much....

Dammit Al your slipping. I figured I would get some kind of a response out of ya...LOL.

-john

Lol... better watch it buddy... NADA's next Discus show isn't as far away as it may seem.;)

Besides that ... shouldn't you be working on Washing Dishes?;););):D

-al

John_Nicholson
06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Lol... better watch it buddy... NADA's next Discus show isn't as far away as it may seem.;)

Besides that ... shouldn't you be working on Washing Dishes?;););):D

-al

Wife gave me the night off...LOL.

-john

j_li8
06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
this would be a great opportunity. too bad im over here in cali.

brewmaster15
06-30-2010, 06:45 PM
this would be a great opportunity. too bad im over here in cali.
Joe,
Let me know also if you are ever in Town...Be great to meet you and have you over!

Thanks,
al

GrillMaster
06-30-2010, 11:28 PM
You gonna have a batch of home brew made up Al? ;) :D :D :D

ashaysathe
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
You gonna have a batch of home brew made up Al? ;) :D :D :D

I am in for the Brew.. anytime

jberg583
07-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Just stopped by Grillmasters for a little mentoring and discussion, can't wait to finally see all the tanks, and meet you Al really looking forward to it. For that matter looking forward to meeting the crew. Hope to meet as many of you as possible

JOHN

2075turner
07-15-2010, 07:21 PM
I must be sleeping Al, as I just noticed this thread. Too much to do before the end of the month...hummmmm????

mmorris
07-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Do you have one (or maybe two) 200-gram bags of worms in stock?

brewmaster15
07-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi Martha
Yes I do.. but starting to run low on the 200 gram size bags..plenty of all other sizes... If you need some let me know and I'll hold it for Friday.

I have a shipment in transit to me, but it won't get here until early next week.

-al

mmorris
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi Martha
Yes I do.. but starting to run low on the 200 gram size bags..plenty of all other sizes... If you need some let me know and I'll hold it for Friday.

I have a shipment in transit to me, but it won't get here until early next week.

-al

Can you save me one 200 - gram bag of loose, and if you have two on Friday I will buy them both. I'm out, and seriously, I have one pair of discus who are clearly disappointed when I give them something else to eat.

brewmaster15
07-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Can you save me one 200 - gram bag of loose, and if you have two on Friday I will buy them both. I'm out, and seriously, I have one pair of discus who are clearly disappointed when I give them something else to eat.
Done!:)

al

mmorris
07-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Good! My name will be 'Mud' around here only until Friday. :)

csarkar001
07-19-2010, 06:29 PM
looks like i'm about 80% likely to make it. (caught the wife at a weak moment and finagled a hall pass).

could i pick up a lb of your famous beef heart mix on the way out?

brewmaster15
07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
looks like i'm about 80% likely to make it. (caught the wife at a weak moment and finagled a hall pass).

could i pick up a lb of your famous beef heart mix on the way out?
absolutely!!:)

-al

srusso
07-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I will be happy to come, pm me directions to your place. I should pickup some beef heart and worms while I am there as well! :D

2075turner
07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Okay, I strangely find myself going down to Hans's place (god help me, will power will be put to the max) so I may be able to stop by....:) I too will need some directions (seeing as the last time I ended up on some dirt road that came to a dead end, LOL)

mmorris
07-20-2010, 11:51 PM
seeing as the last time I ended up on some dirt road that came to a dead end, LOL)

Oh no! I think I went that way the first time I went! Did you get the directions off the internet?

Richweg
07-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Al.. Been dying to see your fish room and this looks like a perfect oppurtunity. Count me in. Just need directions or an address that I could plug into my GPS.

brewmaster15
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Rich,
be great to meet you, glad you can make!

All...

My address is 75 Maltby lane, Northford CT 06472
cell...203-464-2869

The internet directions from north of me royally stink...they'll send you down a "haunted" road that no longer exists...Martha and Evelyn have been there.:(

GPS's seem to work.

Directions if coming from I-91 S ( North of Meriden...)

Exit 14 south from I-91 top ramp take a Rh, then a left at the light.
Take your next Lh at a light...thats route 150. Stay on that until
you pass 2 soccer fields..one on each side the road.. Take your
first Lh ...this becomes line street..stay on this until it ends on
Maltby lane... take a Rh on Maltby...my house is number 75 ...long
gravel drive...tan house.

-al

ps.. Since its only 2 days away now..please everyone attending let me know
if you are definetly coming or not if you haven't yet.. all are welcome!

ashaysathe
07-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah.. its tomorrow.. been a while since I came over. Its been very very busy.
Looking forward for it.

brewmaster15
07-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Be great seeing you again Ashay!

-al

jimg
07-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Okay, I strangely find myself going down to Hans's place (god help me, will power will be put to the max) so I may be able to stop by....:) I too will need some directions (seeing as the last time I ended up on some dirt road that came to a dead end, LOL)

I met you there! then you followed me and got lost again!

brewmaster15
07-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Thats right I remember that Jim...If you hadn't of noticed Evelyn there,,she might still be lost with the Ghosts of "Tyler Mill Rd"!:)

-al

csarkar001
07-23-2010, 09:36 AM
judging by the timestamp of your last post, you must be an early riser.

so figure around 7:15PM tonight, Al?

brewmaster15
07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
judging by the timestamp of your last post, you must be an early riser.

so figure around 7:15PM tonight, Al?

early rise...late to bed...I don't sleep much...:)

7-7:15 is fine ...really glad you can make it.:)

-al

brewmaster15
07-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey everyone,
One last note...This is summer.. think tropical rainforest when you dress for the fishroom here...Its a bit on the warm and muggy side in here this time of year.:)

-al

brewmaster15
07-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi all,
Just wanted to thank all of you that stopped by for a great open house... Had a good group of old friends and new here last night.. It was great getting a chance to talk with everyone.:)

best regards,
al

ashaysathe
07-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Good times as always bro.. Nice to catch up everyone. My father in law was amazed by the fish and # of tanks and the work you and how you manage. I am still explaining the "how you do it" part. Very impressive.
Him and my little one very tired by the that hr otherwise I would have had stayed to be on the deck to catch up and have some "beer"
Very nice.

csarkar001
07-24-2010, 10:28 AM
great time, Al!

thanks again for hosting.

chandan

mmorris
07-24-2010, 11:08 AM
It was a lovely evening! It was wonderful to see everyone again. I bought two bags of 200 grams each of the fdbw. I am determined to make them last! I got up much too early this am, and, bleary eyed, got out my baggies and tray and divied up the contents of one bag into baggies, one portion per week. Talk about deja vu! Or was it a flash-back? :o

GrillMaster
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Had a great time last night Al! As always Carrie and yourself are quite the gracious hosts. Sorry John an I stayed so long but thats usually what happens with great company and he certainly was in no hurry to leave... ;) :D :D

It was great catchin up with you again! We will have to do it more often. :)

tc

DerekFF
07-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I've met him...your not missing much.......

-john

Wish I could make it but I am scheduled to hit Florida the next day. Ya'll have fun. Al if you want to take some pics and write it up for the NADA newsletter. I would love to see some info on regional clubs.

HAHA! classic

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks Al, it was nice to meet people from the forum and I had a good time chatting with you all. Snapped some quick pics of Al's beautiful work! What an extreme operation he's got going there!

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:30 PM

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Many tanks

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Even more

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:33 PM
One of my favorite

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Little ones

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:35 PM
BIG ONES! Had to be over 7"

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Big wilds tank

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Beautiful wilds!

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:38 PM
More

srusso
07-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Many more... I will post more later pics later

Tofe
07-24-2010, 05:21 PM
It was another great event at Al and Carrie's home. It was great talking to old and new friends. I always love wondering around in your fish room.
Special thanks to Al and Carrie for making it another special night

Brian

2075turner
07-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey guys.....
Man that was a long drive.....
BUT DEFINITELY WORTH IT!

It was great to see you guys again. Thank you Al and Carrie for opening your home and making me feel like it was mine. I was telling Norm that I want to move to CT. Maybe one of these days 8-)

subcooler
07-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Al,
I just saw this thread-What a great idea!:balloon::balloon::balloon:

Wish I lived closer,as it would be hard to keep me away from your hatchery!

Sorry I missed the 1st meeting of CT Discus days....Will try to make future meetings & of course NE Discus club meeting as well!

Hope all are having a great summer,
Rob

jberg583
07-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Al and Carrie,

Had a great time with you guys last night it was very enlightening! Great fish! I'm looking forward to a lot more discus. I can't believe the number of tanks you have running, and Discus you have Insane. It was a nice night kicking it back on the porch with everyone. Thanks for putting up with me for so long. I tried the worms, and the non discus divoured them immediately. The discus were a little timid at first kind of like a "whats this John", but as soon as they realized it was food they started eating it, Quickest I've seen them adapt to a new food yet! I put the beefheart in this morning, the 2 snakeskins were guarding it, and wouldn't let anyone else have any. I think next time I'll scatter it through out the tank.

Mark,
Thanks for the ride man! It was great chatting, let me know when you get your 125 up and running! Should be great. I have a large one of those vine plants that Al has if you want a bunch of clippings to pull more minerals out of the water. I'm sure I'll pester you about a million more things as I get set to raise a batch of juvies.

Ashay,

Thanks for letting me stop by with Mark, those wilds were Dinner plates. I didn't know Discus got that big. Beautiful fish!

I guess the overall of the meeting is I need to cut my expenses of start making more money :) I'm trying to destroy the urge but the bugs gettin ta me