PDA

View Full Version : Help with my aquatic garden newly setup

gmani1082
06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a doubt I wonder if you can help. Right now I have a little over 2 watts per gallon and I have added some carpet forming plant called hemiobthia callitrochoides "Cuba" plus some amazon swords and a few others. It's been on co2 with a external reactor for over a week now. The plants don't seem to be growing well if at all and I'm getting Algae on the glass and I believe it's hair algea grown on my driftwood and plants also. What am I doing wrong? I have Eco complete substrate the lights are on 10 hrs a day and I use liquid ferts every 4 days.*

Thanks

Ganesh K. Mani

Fraise
06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
What are you water parameters? any idea what your co2 levels are?

gmani1082
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
What are you water parameters? any idea what your co2 levels are?

Honestly I guess I need to get mywater tested. I hve a ph controller for the co2 and the bubbled seems to be going 2 drips a second. I do notice with the controller the co2 is on almost all the time. Ph is about 7.10 to 7.2

tacks
06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi I would buy a drop checker so you can tell if you are putting in enogh co2. Just a guess but with a ph of 7+ I would guess you are not getting enough co2. I would also reduce the photo period of your lights until you get things straight. HTH Ed

gmani1082
06-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi I would buy a drop checker so you can tell if you are putting in enogh co2. Just a guess but with a ph of 7+ I would guess you are not getting enough co2. I would also reduce the photo period of your lights until you get things straight. HTH Ed

hey thanks for the suggestion, i think i'll try that and see what happens...

i wonder what's the best way to diffuse? i believe my external reactor is supposed to be the best way...

any suggestions/??

gmani1082
06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
all the plants seem to be losing color and look like there dying... it's such a piss off...

tacks
06-30-2010, 06:58 PM
The external reactor is a great way to get co2 into the tank, it happens to be what I use on my 150. Most people under plant when they start, make sure you have a lot of stem plants they will help keep your algae down. It might be a good idea to go to a web site which deals with plants. the Plantedtank isa good one. HTH Ed

discuspaul
07-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Nothing wrong with 2 watts pg for what you seem to be trying to do. (That's mine as well - 10 hrs./day).
Don't know what your water chemistry/parameters are, & am also not sure your CO2 is essential in your setup.
I've had great luck with different varieties of hygrophila & ludwigia - also several varieties of swords - java fern & even c/s val.
I don't use CO2 , but use excel every second day (min. dosage) - NO ALGAE!
That's my 2 cents - works for me.

Harriett
07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
If this is a new tank, I would start at 6-7 hours of light a day only. In two weeks up it to 8, then every two weeks increase it by an hour to get to your desired point, which seems to be 10 hrs/day.* You need to have a lot of stem plants in there in the beginning. Some say to add no ferts for the first several weeks until the tank gets established. If you are specifically getting hair algae group, balloon mollies love that stuff and will eat it all. The tank goes through growth changes and settles down over a period of time. The further along you get in the maturation process, the more you can replace the fast growing stem plants with whatever you desire in the way of rosette or rooted type plants. You can put Swords in early because they are such heavy feeders, as well. Don't expect it to look like a million bucks until it is an more mature tank.* You are just setting up. I would advise to plant quite heavily, NOT lightly--pack them in there. THis is the path to keep algae at a minimum.
I would set the CO2 to achieve about 6.7pH or so and see what the plants do...pH of 7 would not be enough, I think.
I wish you luck, planted tanks are a gas. Low tech, high tech, whatever!The other thing I wanted to mention is that if this tank is planned for discus, a black bottomed tank [substrate] can cause discus [especially PBs and Blue type fish] to darken up. If the cuba is enough to cover the substrate, you will be in business on that front.
Best regards,
Harriett

TankWatcher
07-13-2010, 08:29 PM
How deep is your tank? If it is very deep, then even if the wpg ratio is fine, low growing carpet plants like glosso & HC may still struggle to get the light intensity they need.

But I agree 2wpg overall should be fine.

Yes, lots of temporary (or permanent - your choice) fast growing stems for the first few months, as this really helps with algae in the early life of a planted tank. A gradual build up of the lighting period is the way to go. If you end up skipping the HC (like I did & sticking with swords, anubia & ferns only, then you might not need as long as 10hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk