PDA

View Full Version : A friend taken to soon

Discus-n00b
07-14-2010, 03:25 AM
I debated posting this or not, but I figured since my section can serve as a blog for anything as well as discus, then it could go there. I guess I just needed to get it off my chest more then anything. Its something thats really been eating at me all day and i'm sure will for days to come. I think its the shock from hearing it.

Today I found out that a good friend of mine, and a fellow Marine, took his own life sometime this morning or late last night. I don't know details, not sure I want to, its just rough when something like this happens. Its hard to handle because you don't see it coming. He was 26 years old and was having a good life. He was one of my influences to join the Marines. Like many of us have done, he joined the Marine Corps post 9/11 during wartime fully aware of the sacrifices he might have to make. He had done 2 successful tours in Iraq, actual combat tours and returned safely from both. He was also a regular at church on Sundays. However, like most of these cases (suicides in the military) his past came back to haunt him.

Like I said, I don't know all the details, but I really believe one of those tours in Iraq really gave him a hard time afterwords. He worked one of the HARDEST jobs in the military during that tour, Mortuary Affairs. He did the dirty work for MA. He was the one collecting those KIA from the battlefield and field/base hospitals, processing them, and then sending them home so they may get the proper treatment for burial in the states. It really tore him up inside afterwords and he struggled with it for a while. I guess it finally was to much to bear. I've seen my fair share of "Angel Flights". Flights that carry the caskets of the men back to the states, and working one is never fun. I can't even imagine what he went through. I wish he would of let some of us help carry his weight and help him out. That is why its so hard to understand and accept, we would of helped him through it.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/joshB1a.jpg

Pray for his family please. RIP my friend, I look forward to to day where we will serve together again. He was a good friend, a good Marine.

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

Corporal Josh Blakenship is at his post, and on duty.
December 25, 1984 - July 13, 2010

http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/mac/20100122-N-2171N-001.jpg

jball1125
07-14-2010, 08:11 AM
RIP Josh Blakenship. An American hero who will forever be remembered.

You and his family will be in my prayers.

A big THANK YOU to all who serve our country!

God Bless

Eddie
07-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Wow, I am very sorry to hear the news Matt. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Take care,

Eddie

babakaty
07-14-2010, 08:26 AM
You have my deepest sympathy, Matt. Your friend performed an incredibly valuable service for the families of those who were lost. He is no less a casualty of war than any other serviceman killed in action. My prayers are with you and all who knew him, and all who protect us from harm.

Elite Aquaria
07-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Matt,

I am so sorry to hear the news of your loss. I will have Josh's family in my prayers tonight.

David Rose
07-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Matt,

Very sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and all his loved ones.

Peace,
David

wadewc
07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Matt,

Very sorry! We will have Josh Blakenship in our prayers.

If I may say THANK YOU to all the brave men and women that serve our country! May God Bless each and everyone of you!

Wade

LizStreithorst
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm so sorry about the tragic loss of your friend. War is a terrible thing.

yim11
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Matt, my deepest condolences my friend.

We will keep everyone in our thoughts and prayers.

Take care,
-jim

korbi_doc
07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Matt, these tragedies are so hard to bear for those left behind...I am so sorry for your terrible loss & pray for you as well as his family for the cross you have to bear in this life.....

condolences to all, Dottie

Harriett
07-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Matt, my sincerest condolences to Josh's family and to you and all who loved him and suffer in this loss. This is just terrible. It has been a bone of contention for some time that returning soldiers require more post-war psych care which is a unique type of medicine. Too many come home wounded psychologically and are pretty much on their own to figure it out. This is just tragic. I am so very sorry.
Best regards
Harriett

Jennie
07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
many prayers to you and the family he left behind.

vera
07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Man, thats so sad ....so young ..had all his life ahead
God bless his soul .......

Discus-n00b
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks all, means a lot. He'll be missed by all.

Scribbles
07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I am so sorry for your loss Matt. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Chris

William Palumbo
07-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Sorry as well Matt. My prayers to him and his loved ones...Bill

Disgirl
07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear this Matt. War is so terrible for everyone and we all need to remember how those serving in our military can suffer so badly, even if not in a war zone. My very best to you Matt and thank you for your service!
Barb

Ed13
07-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Matt, very sorry to hear this. My condolences.

dpt8
07-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Sorry Matt. I am so sad to hear someone so brave to protect our country was so effected by the war horror he took his own life. There may be many more like him.. Sad... David T

2075turner
07-14-2010, 10:22 PM
My my deepest condolences to you and the many friends and family this will affect. May his soul be a peace. My thoughts are with you all this evening.

j_li8
07-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Matt, I am sorry to hear you lost a good friend and fellow Marine. May he Rest In Peace.

brewmaster15
07-15-2010, 05:28 AM
Matt,
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend and the loss to Josh's Family and friends. Thats a tragic thing for anyone to go thru.:( I wish he had been able to ask for and get help for the burden he was carrying.

My Sincere condolences to all those whose lives he touched while with us.

-al

Alok
07-15-2010, 09:19 PM
So sorry to hear about this Matt...my deepest sympathies to all his friends and family. It pains me to hear about any soldier killed on active duty. That he came back from active duty twice and took his own life is even more painful...

ockyra215
07-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Matt,
I just read your post and I highly support you guys in all our armed forces.My flag out front will be at half mast.My condolenses to you and his family.

dean9922
07-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Very Very Sad.....all the best to you and his family.......

Chad Hughes
07-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Matt,

So sorry to hear about this. I can only imagine how tough his job must have been and that kind of work is not something that you can really come home at the end of the day and discuss. It's morbid.

When I was in Tikrit, we had a big KIA processing center there. It was a somber site. When I finally left out of Balad, I flew out on one of those "Angel Flights". It was a C-5 and the entire cargo hold was filled. I can't begin to describe to you what it was like to walk amongst all the remains of our fallen.

Anyway, if you ever need to talk, I'm always available. Drop me an IM, call me on the phone, whatever. These things are tough.

Best wishes my friend!

Discus-n00b
07-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Thank you all. I'm doing much better now knowing he is at rest now. No more battles for him to fight. Thank you all again for your well wishes.

Bilbo_wh
07-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.
From way down here its hard to appreciate how hard and how dangerous but how necessary your job is so thank you.

I can only imagine what personal hell he must have been going through in order to make that decision, my wife's brother was taken from us in a similar way a few months ago.

jaykne
07-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Really sorry to hear about your friend Matt, I know how it is I am 100% disabbled due to the war, I will not live a long life due to my injuries, and really know how your friend felt. I struggled with things I saw, and things I have to deal with everyday. I came very near taking my own life, as much as I hate to say but was luckey my family saw the sighn's and got me help, I really wish your friend would have got that help. I Salute him, and all who served or serves for out country!!! Larry