07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
OK so here goes:

75gal non-drilled AGA tank
2 vortech MP10 for circulation
ATI 6 bulb t5 fixture
AQ home made fuge with cheato and live rock rubble
80 lbs of fiji live rock
very thin layer of sand jus for visual effect

no sump, no skimmer, no filter other than a small aqua clear with carbon and the live rock itself.

Extremely over stocked tank with assorted soft corals, LPS and SPS. A hyppo tang, a desjardini tang, a coperband butterfly, 3 pajama cardinals, 1 goldstriped marrom clown, 3 false percs, 1 red scooter blenny, 1 algae blenny, 1 spotted blenny.

As with everything in my fish/aquarium history, this set-up is very unusual and by all standars and common knowledge should not work but it does, and very well! Everything grows and multiplies. I don't dose, and I feed daily...the only reason it all works is water changes, every week, 20gal a week.

Enjoy!

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/IMG_1108.jpg

Rodrigo

jball1125
07-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Very nice Rodrigo!

You might have to give me some classes on keeping a reef tank with such ease pretty soon. Lol

Thanks for sharing

DiscusKev
07-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Very nice, I especially like the copperband butterflyfish, it's one of my favorite of the butterflyfish family. You must enjoy your time at home, you got discus fish (FW) and your got a reef tank, how amazing.

roclement
07-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys! Coperband is a challenge in the begining, now it's even eating flakes!

The only secret for the reef is the same as with discus...water changes! Or you can spend a lot of money on filters and additives! Your choice! :)

Rodrigo

kaceyo
07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Makes me miss my reef tanks. What's the blue encrusting soft coral called? I don't remember ever seeing anything like that offered back when I was reefing. It looks nice.
Do you feed any live foods to the corals? bbs, rotifers etc?

DiscusKev
07-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey Rod,

Watcha think of the Mandarin Dragonet Fish? It's relatively affordable and striking in appearance, though many says that it takes awhile to adjust...

May I know your water parameter?

cheers,

roclement
07-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys!

The blue coral is a species of Xenia, it is very easy to keep, grows like a weed but is non-agressive, meaning it will not kill other corals, they look like miniature polyps, great for open pieces of live rock.

I feed no live foods to my tank, I do feed a lot of frozen foods. The only live food I feed my corals is blackworms when I get them. SInce they are freshwater animals, there is no risk of disease passing to the fish or corals.

The mandarim dragonet is now being bred in captivity by ORA, much easier to keep and feed since they com ealready used to frozen foods and will take readely to life in the tank. A established tank with a thriving population of copepods is a must for wild madarins. Given time, they will get used to frozen foods as well. My mandarim died of old age...it survived a move from one state to another, and a trip up a aquaclear intake tube!!!

Rodrigo

Disgirl
07-15-2010, 08:37 PM
That's a very beautiful reef tank Rod! Looks as good as the reef tank at the aquarium where I work, and that is saying something since that tank is my favorite in the whole building.
Barb:)

csarkar001
07-18-2010, 11:39 AM
how do you keep the two tangs from fighting?

really impressive tank.

Ed13
07-18-2010, 12:47 PM
The blue coral is a species of Xenia, it is very easy to keep
Blue Xenia, or other Xenia for that matter, don't always work for everyone:inquisitive:. Clearly a weed in your tank!

Word on the street is the "TANG police" is watching you Rod!:D

roclement
07-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Bring on the Tang police! I was the president of my reef club and hosted meetings in my house and you would be amazed how many people get mad that...I have to many fish, I don't have a filter, I have no skimmer, and I use only MP10's for circulation...certainly won't work and everything will die!!! Well everything is still alive and well! Just like Discus, it's all about what works for you and water changes!

Tangs were both introduced very young and at the same time, the color pattern and shape is veery different so they behave. I also provide them with a full open water tank for swimming so it's plenty of area for them to grow and be happy! Now in another year they will have to be moved.

Xenia of any kind seem to like water with a lot of dissolved orgaincs and thrive in water that is less than perfect. People that run any of the bacteria driven tanks like "neo-zeo", dose vodka, etc seem to have problems with xenia. Since I don't do that and have no skimmer, they do very well for me and pay me back by "filtering" the tank of dissolved organics. Some people run whole sumps with xenia as a filtration method! I'll try that someday!

Barb, thanks! That's high praise for my simple little tank!!!

Rodrigo

kaceyo
07-18-2010, 02:00 PM
I ran my tanks with no filtration also, though I did have a large skimmer. Doesn't that butterfly pick at the coral frags and other corals in your tank? I never tried butterfly's for that reason.

Ed13
07-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Bring on the Tang police! I was the president of my reef club and hosted meetings in my house and you would be amazed how many people get mad that...I have to many fish, I don't have a filter, I have no skimmer, and I use only MP10's for circulation...certainly won't work and everything will die!!! Well everything is still alive and well! Just like Discus, it's all about what works for you and water changes!

Tangs were both introduced very young and at the same time, the color pattern and shape is veery different so they behave. I also provide them with a full open water tank for swimming so it's plenty of area for them to grow and be happy! Now in another year they will have to be moved.

Xenia of any kind seem to like water with a lot of dissolved orgaincs and thrive in water that is less than perfect. People that run any of the bacteria driven tanks like "neo-zeo", dose vodka, etc seem to have problems with xenia. Since I don't do that and have no skimmer, they do very well for me and pay me back by "filtering" the tank of dissolved organics. Some people run whole sumps with xenia as a filtration method! I'll try that someday!

Barb, thanks! That's high praise for my simple little tank!!!

Rodrigo
LOL, I was just kidding about the tang police Rod:). I know what you mean with to people getting mad regarding stocking. If it's healthy and thriving stressful environment for the entire lifetime of the fish then it's OK.

I know these methods work, no need to defend them;);). In my eyes nothing can replace water changes.

danny2013
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Rod did you ever think about getting a BTA for the clowns? I know they dont naturaly go in them with there instinct but my percs love my rose BTA.

roclement
07-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Had one and they loved it but it died in a unfortunate impeller accident and almost took my tank with it!!! I since vowed off anemones untill last night when I got this beautiful green carpet that is now in my tank!! :) Now let's see who wins the battle over the anemone!

Rodrigo

jball1125
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Any chance we will get pictures of the carpet anemone? :)

kaceyo
07-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Had one and they loved it but it died in a unfortunate impeller accident and almost took my tank with it!!! I since vowed off anemones untill last night when I got this beautiful green carpet that is now in my tank!! :) Now let's see who wins the battle over the anemone!

Rodrigo

That's one reason to have a good skimmer. Something with a large "goo factor" dies, and the skimmer removes it before it causes problems.

roclement
07-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I'll get a picture tomorrow, once it's aclimated and fully open, it's a beauty!

I agree with the skimmer in part, in the case of something as large as an anemone getting shredded and gunk going all over your tank it would not help much, unless the skimmer was way oversized for the tank. WC and carbon are what saved me from a major disaster, I lost some SPS and a bunch of inverts like clams, and snails but all in all I came out ok. Biggest issue I had was cyano due to the invert die off but got that under control with the WC.

I'll get some pictures of my nano at work and post as well, I spend more time there than at home anyway!

Rodrigo

danny2013
07-21-2010, 01:32 PM
i have almost had that same problem with my mp10's, I went on vacation any my RBTA decided it wanted to move on out to the glass to split. when i came back the now 2 RBTA's where inches away. Would have ruined my whole tank.

jball1125
07-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I believe someone owes us some pictures today. :p

roclement
07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
still at work...I'll get home after lights out and leave before lights on...they will come I promise!

Rodrigo

Ed13
07-21-2010, 08:06 PM

Rodrigo
Haddoni? NICE...

roclement
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
yes! but it has two colors, that's why I gave in and bought it! I wanted a red or blue one but at ovet $500 for a healthy blue anemone I opted for this green and white one that I hadn't seen before, it's great!

rodrigo

roclement
07-22-2010, 12:32 PM
here's the nem...
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/reef/IMG_1118.jpg
my juvie coperband, notice the full stomach!
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/reef/IMG_1124.jpg
one of the 4 clowns, impossible to get a good shot, always moving!
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/reef/IMG_1127.jpg
my favorite acro, still on the gravel getting used to the light...
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/reef/IMG_1129.jpg
another nem shot
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/reef/IMG_1128.jpg
one fat blenny!
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/reef/IMG_1123.jpg
a bad shot of my favorite tang the desjardini sailfin
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/reef/IMG_1122.jpg

That's it for now!

Rodrigo

DiscusKev
07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
That is a great splash of colours Rod, doesn't the face of the Sailfin Tang reminds you of the face of a Penang Eruption (or spider ruby face) :D The nem look cool and as always, the CB is beautiful.

jball1125
07-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Simply beautiful! Your pictures and explanation of how easy it can be might get me into a new hobby. :)

roclement
07-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys!

I love my reefs (have a nano at work) because the whole tank is alive, sometimes I wil sit in fornt of the tank at night with the moon LEDS on and just watch the tank with all the night critters coming out, etc. It is truly a small ecosystem and great to teach kids with!

Rodrigo

kaceyo
07-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I do miss seeing what new creature was going to crawl, squirm or slither out of the live rock. I set mine up when we could still get live rock from hawaii and it was just covered entirly with pink coraline algea and creatures.

Ed13
07-22-2010, 07:38 PM
That carpet nem is nice Rod! I really like it!

Disgirl
07-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Wonderful pictures Rod! You sure know what you are doing with those fish and your reef! I can only admire yours and the ones where I work, I must stick to only freshwater but at least I have the kings :D. Thanks for the pictures!
Barb:)

roclement
07-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone!

Reef fish are easy once the system is in balance all you need to do is stick to your routine of feeding and water changes. I am lucky that my habits from discus keeping make me a better reef keeper! You'd be amazed by how many friends I have that find doing 10gal of water change a week too difficult to do!!! Reefkeepers rely a lot on gear, wherea

Rodrigo

DiscusKev
07-23-2010, 06:50 PM
whereas...? In a rush :D

Yea, I got a friend that has a FOWLR tank and when I say I do 100% wc on my discus tank, they get confused (thinking it is too much, especailly when it is everyday).

roclement
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
...whereas we rely on good old water changes! (had to run!) :) so I run my reef like I run my discus tanks, water changes = happy inhabitants!

Rodrigo

srusso
07-31-2010, 07:42 AM
how long has this tank been running? Looks great!!! Please give any more details as to how you accomplish this! Are you using RO water? What size AquaClear are you running? How long do the lights run? Again you have a really great tank!

roclement
07-31-2010, 03:46 PM
WOW! Thanks! It's OK I guess...

The tank in this configuration is 18 months old but all the live rock came from my previous tank that had been running for 3 years.

I use the largest AQ as the refugium full of chaeto and I have the AQ30(?) just running with carbon.

I use RO/Di water to mix the salt and I have been using Brightwell and Reef Crystals depending on which one is cheaper when I need salt.

WC are once a week, about 20gal (key to a healthy tank)

Fixture is an ATI 6 bulb T5 fixture, 48 inches.
Light cycle is:
8:00am two fiji purple bulbs go on
10:00am the other four bulbs go on
6:00pm four bulbs go off
8:00pm the purples go off

I also run a Blue LED stick from Ice Cap on 24/7 with no PAR value but makes the corals "pop" and great night time viewing of corals (AVATAR like).

Hope this helps

Rodrigo

arusso
08-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Beautiful tank hope to get my tank there some day just started tank is 3 weeks old. but man is it hard to just sit back and take it slow I just want to keep adding new stuff

33 gal breeder
27 lbs live rock
40 lbs live sand
aquaclear 70
4 t5 2 atanic and 2 1200k
3 green chromis
8 mixed hermit crabs
5 mixed snails

roclement
08-03-2010, 09:59 AM
That looks good!!! Take it slow! There is no need to hurry since your tank will be there for you for a loooong time, if you hurry, you get frustrated, then you give up...did you join a local Reef Club yet?

Rodrigo

arusso
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I was looking for one in connecticut but can't find one

roclement
08-03-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.ctars.org/bb/

best one I know in your area.

Rodrigo

arusso
08-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanx alot