PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus

spiffyfish
07-19-2010, 08:59 PM
i am new to discus but have had fish my whole life. i am very interested in setting up a discus aquarium. i am looking advice on what the best thing would be for me to do, either a starter 55 gal. with 5 or 6 young discus, or go straight into a 125 gal. with 10-12 and take my chances on my first time. i have been looking at mac's discus as there is a variety and i can get juvenile discus there at a reasonable price, but i have read on here that his are imported, if anyone one can point me in the right direction, and somewhere i can get juvenile discus at a reasonable price it would be greatly appreaciated.

Chris

wadewc
07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
i am new to discus but have had fish my whole life. i am very interested in setting up a discus aquarium. i am looking advice on what the best thing would be for me to do, either a starter 55 gal. with 5 or 6 young discus, or go straight into a 125 gal. with 10-12 and take my chances on my first time. i have been looking at mac's discus as there is a variety and i can get juvenile discus there at a reasonable price, but i have read on here that his are imported, if anyone one can point me in the right direction, and somewhere i can get juvenile discus at a reasonable price it would be greatly appreaciated.

Chris

Chris welcome to Simply. In my opinion either would work. I might be mistaken but most of the discus are imported. But there are alot of breeders out there if you would prefer. I don't see a problem with imported discus as long as you buy from a reptible dealler. I have purchase from Kenny and Mike all are imported and all are doing great. I have purchased fry from Bill and they are doing great as well.

Just my two cents.
Wade

spiffyfish
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
thats what i had figured, just to watch out for hormones, which i have been talking to people and they are not used anymore. i liked the fish from Mac's because they are small, and there is a larger variety. being that i want small fish so i can watch them grow, and learn myself.what i have stuck with on setting up and maintaining and aquarium, is used stress coat and stress zyme, is there anything in paticular that is different with discus, or anything special i need to do? as far as filtration, i like fluval i currently have a fluval 305, and will be using that in combination with an fx5, will this be good enough for discus in either tank situation i choose. i want to try and stick to weekly water changes if possible, and if i can i am going to test my tap water, and hope i can get away with using that for awhile until i can get an RO unit, because making trips to a water station every week and transporting water in a car just doesnt sound too time or cost effective.

Moon
07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
There are lots of breeders here on SD. Try contacting them if you want locally bred discus.

machine77
07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
I would stay clear of Mac's.. Get from a sponser my friend!

spiffyfish
07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
who would you recommend for young fish 2-2 1/2 in. and a wide variety?

wadewc
07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
thats what i had figured, just to watch out for hormones, which i have been talking to people and they are not used anymore. i liked the fish from Mac's because they are small, and there is a larger variety. being that i want small fish so i can watch them grow, and learn myself.what i have stuck with on setting up and maintaining and aquarium, is used stress coat and stress zyme, is there anything in paticular that is different with discus, or anything special i need to do? as far as filtration, i like fluval i currently have a fluval 305, and will be using that in combination with an fx5, will this be good enough for discus in either tank situation i choose. i want to try and stick to weekly water changes if possible, and if i can i am going to test my tap water, and hope i can get away with using that for awhile until i can get an RO unit, because making trips to a water station every week and transporting water in a car just doesnt sound too time or cost effective.

Chris,

I agree with Moon and Machine77. I would only buy from breeders or sponsers from Simply. I have learned keeping it simple is best. There is alot of opioions on filtering systems but if you are looking at 2 to 2 1/2 inch you will need to be feeding them four to six times a day with proper water changes for best results. That will mean more than once a week water changes. My problem when using HOB or cannisters with juvies I get alot of food products trapped in my containers so I only use sponges in those tanks. I use Prime with my regular tap water. If you are not wanting to breed and your water perimeters are fine I would not purchase an RO unit yet. Keep it simple and it more enjoyable.

Just my two cents,
Wade

spiffyfish
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
What are a few good sponsors that carry young fish, or breeders?

Eddie
07-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Welcome Spiffy! I'd start with fish 3 inches minimum and if you got the funds, go for the bigger tank. Either way, 6 is a minimum and with a 125, I'd go for 12.

All the best,

Eddie

Discus master
07-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Chris welcome to Simply. In my opinion either would work. I might be mistaken but most of the discus are imported. But there are alot of breeders out there if you would prefer. I don't see a problem with imported discus as long as you buy from a reptible dealler. I have purchase from Kenny and Mike all are imported and all are doing great. I have purchased fry from Bill and they are doing great as well.

Just my two cents.
Wade

Yeah but as you have said there are many who breed their own he could buy as well. You are rite to me it dosnt mater imports or not as long as they come froma recomended source and they are clean fish by clean I mean helathy of course and not stunted. starting out with good stock is your foundation which will often determine how sucsful you will be or not be I should say

Discus master
07-20-2010, 10:33 AM

When growing out young your filtration will help bu you will still need to do more frequint water changes than weekly like 3 times a week would be my minimum and at least 50% each time. What is your tap water parametrs? did you do the 24 hour gas off test to test for ph stability and so forth? chaces are you may not need ot do anything but age your water unless trying to breed and that iw ould not recomend getting into for a while. If you wanted to do less water changing weekly would probably be just fine if you had a group of adults that do no feed as much two times a day as oppose to juvis feeding 4 - 6 times a day big diference there and I would try and by 3 inch fish as the minimum becuase the larger they are the more hardier they will be plus they will be that much further along and stronger not as sensitive to the mistakes of a new person and more forgiving in other words.

Discus master
07-20-2010, 10:36 AM
What are a few good sponsors that carry young fish, or breeders?

You can just put pre filter sponges on al of your intakes and still use your canister or HOB filters and this will keep it from getting in to your filter plus you can get an extra colony of nitryifying bacteria to grow on the sponge filter and just vacume it off during water changes I do not think a sponge filter would give adiquite mechanical filtration for a group of juvis in my opinon. best left for breeder tanks

Discus master
07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Chris,

I agree with Moon and Machine77. I would only buy from breeders or sponsers from Simply. I have learned keeping it simple is best. There is alot of opioions on filtering systems but if you are looking at 2 to 2 1/2 inch you will need to be feeding them four to six times a day with proper water changes for best results. That will mean more than once a week water changes. My problem when using HOB or cannisters with juvies I get alot of food products trapped in my containers so I only use sponges in those tanks. I use Prime with my regular tap water. If you are not wanting to breed and your water perimeters are fine I would not purchase an RO unit yet. Keep it simple and it more enjoyable.

Just my two cents,
Wade

he could just put pre filter sponges on al of your intakes and still use your canister or HOB filters and this will keep it from getting in to your filter plus you can get an extra colony of nitryifying bacteria to grow on the sponge filter and just vacume it off during water changes I do not think a sponge filter would give adiquite mechanical filtration for a group of juvis in my opinon. best left for breeder tanks

and my breeder from B more Gwyn Brooks is a really good trusted provider of quality discus. Everyones say you almost have to go with an SD sponser to get good fish adn while I have no doubt that they do have exceltn fish and unless you know of some one else then yes you should go with an SD sponser but there are excelnt breeders out there with just as good fish that are not sponsers on SD you just have to know whi they are and you can take my word for it Gwyn Brooks farms breeds his own they have their own hatchery I have been there its about an hour drive for me he ships all over and is trusted in fat there are other SD members who have bought from him that can vouch but ihe is not n SD sponser far as I know.

Discus master
07-20-2010, 10:42 AM
who would you recommend for young fish 2-2 1/2 in. and a wide variety?

Larger if possible and any variety you wantsome say others are harder than others to keep I know that the red turq and turqs in general along with the snake skins are supposedly amung the easiet to keep thats what I have and they are beautiful fish and are doing great for me I am fairly new to the hobby as well this is my second go at it and doing great now but this time I went to a breeder for my fish GwynBrook farms in Baltimore MD for my fish and not the LFS like before now I am doing great along with the support of SD memebrs.

spiffyfish
07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
As far as testing the water is what is a good master test kit, or things i should be using when testing the water?

Discus master
07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
As far as testing the water is what is a good master test kit, or things i should be using when testing the water?

Some swear by the API test master kit for freshwater but I think it's like 50$ or something like that. I buy the larger bottles of PH, Nitirtes, and the amonia liquid regent test the small bottles do not last long enough and if you are like me I test the water in the tank before I add water then I test the tap before I do a water change then I test the tank again after I preform the water change so thats a whole lot of testing going on. Then also and smaller bottles maybe ok for this one as I do not test this one as much as the others the KH and the GH liquid regent test kits but I usually only test this like 2 times a week it never has changed on me in the last 8 months! but you will be going thru the ph, nitrite, and amonia test a lot!! trust me I do not normaly test for the nitrates becuase I do daily large water changes so I do not see a need for it when I scale back to 3 times or 2 times a week when they are more grown out then I will concern my sel with the nitrate test more I think so hope that help this is what I do it is kind of the min I guess and others may test for a whole lot more but I would consider these to be your core test you should be preforming you should always test you tap water for ph prior to a water change just in case it would happen to change and test your tank water first as well so if you need to make an adjust ment prior to the change you can and test afterward to make sure you did not drastically alter soemthing with the water change also test for those nitrites before a water change and if you have 0 you do not need to test them afetr the water change if you do have a measurable nitirte spike prior then test again after to make sure it went down then test it again the very next day to see if it stayed down or went up this will also help you determine how many water changes you need to preforme at the leat while growing out juvi's I would do 3x a week at at least 50% I do like 80% daily rite now and the fish love it but I do not need to age my water or anything and it only takes me about 20 minutes to do use a good dechlorinator as well one for chlorine and chlorimine especially if you are on city water if you have well water then you need to worry about the nitorgen content than can be in the well water use Prime I made the switch its a concentrated formula that takes care of alot of stuff. hope this helps and dose not confuse you I often talk to much lolol

spiffyfish
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
no not at all, i would like to get as much information as possible. i do not want to go into it blind, thankyou to all for the help so far. any other info is greatly appreciated as well.

Double Up
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
You can just put pre filter sponges on al of your intakes and still use your canister or HOB filters and this will keep it from getting in to your filter plus you can get an extra colony of nitryifying bacteria to grow on the sponge filter and just vacume it off during water changes I do not think a sponge filter would give adiquite mechanical filtration for a group of juvis in my opinon. best left for breeder tanks

Agreed, I use two sponge filters along with a fluval 405 on my bare bottom 55 gal growout tank. I also perform water 50% water changes almost everyday. Its just part of my routine now.

Discus master
07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Agreed, I use two sponge filters along with a fluval 405 on my bare bottom 55 gal growout tank. I also perform water 50% water changes almost everyday. Its just part of my routine now.

Yeah it gets to be as common place as getting dressed before heading out of the house or grabbing your cell phone or wallet or whatever I get home from work i feed them wait an hour or two and do my water change then two hours before lights off I feed pelet food so the tanks stays cleaner thru the night and do my frozen stuff durning the day.

spiffyfish
07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
when using the pre filter sponges they go on the intake side, but for 2 are you using a ''T'' of some sort? Also where can i purchase the sponge filters at a reasonable price?

Double Up
07-20-2010, 02:41 PM
when using the pre filter sponges they go on the intake side, but for 2 are you using a ''T'' of some sort? Also where can i purchase the sponge filters at a reasonable price?

I was speaking of two sponge fiters as used in breeders/hospital tanks They connect to a air pump. jehmco.com

wadewc
07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
he could just put pre filter sponges on al of your intakes and still use your canister or HOB filters and this will keep it from getting in to your filter plus you can get an extra colony of nitryifying bacteria to grow on the sponge filter and just vacume it off during water changes I do not think a sponge filter would give adiquite mechanical filtration for a group of juvis in my opinon. best left for breeder tanks

and my breeder from B more Gwyn Brooks is a really good trusted provider of quality discus. Everyones say you almost have to go with an SD sponser to get good fish adn while I have no doubt that they do have exceltn fish and unless you know of some one else then yes you should go with an SD sponser but there are excelnt breeders out there with just as good fish that are not sponsers on SD you just have to know whi they are and you can take my word for it Gwyn Brooks farms breeds his own they have their own hatchery I have been there its about an hour drive for me he ships all over and is trusted in fat there are other SD members who have bought from him that can vouch but ihe is not n SD sponser far as I know.

Hi Discus Master, I am going to bite on this one. So you don't think sponge filter is adequate? What planet are you from? This works for me with the fry I have raised. My five other tanks with adults I have both mechanical and sponge on these tanks. I do not comment on other breeders outside of Simply because my loyalty is with Simply to support this site. I do suggest looking in the feed back section if you wonder if someone has had problems with anybody.

Good luck on youre ventures,

Wade

DiscusOnly
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
With Juvies, you actually don't want mechanical filters to suck up all the poop. You need to vac them up constantly. Sponge is more than adequate for bio filter in a grow out tank. I currently have 12 3-3.5" inch juvie in a 20 gallon tank with only 2 sponge and nothing else. I vac and change the water at least 3 times a day.

spiffyfish
07-20-2010, 03:34 PM
so the sponge filters that are commonly used are just run off a vacuum pump then and there is no need for mechanical filtration until they are adults and in a larger tank.

Discus master
07-20-2010, 03:43 PM
so the sponge filters that are commonly used are just run off a vacuum pump then and there is no need for mechanical filtration until they are adults and in a larger tank.

No he means he runs two sponge filtters you can run them off of a power head or more commonly an air pump with air line running itno the sponge filters tube and an air stone difuser attached to the bottom of whats called the bulls eye there are insrtuctions in the box or you can even find a you tube video of how to install an sponge filter. The vacume he is refering to is the vacume/syphon for the tank cleaning its a vacum with a large plastic cylindor on the end which water gets sucked up thru gravity after you start the syphon and then vacum the waste out of the tank I also vacume off the sponge filter and the sponge I have on the intake to my canister filter as well if I am in correct please feel free to correct me Vlam!

DiscusOnly
07-20-2010, 03:56 PM

I hand wipe and use a gravel vac to clean all the sides of the tank during each water change. Since it's only a 20 gal, I can do the whole tank in about 15 minutes with 70% water change. This is so much easier to maintain but you have to make sure you give them clean water every few hours. The 2 sponge filter is run by an air pump.

Click to watch:

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/DiscusOnly/th_IMG_0125.jpg (http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/DiscusOnly/?action=view&current=IMG_0125.mp4)

spiffyfish
07-20-2010, 04:08 PM
ok that helped out alot, now where can i get those style filters, and should i run 2 different pumps or one large one with 2 silters T'ed into it?

DiscusOnly
07-20-2010, 04:22 PM
ok that helped out alot, now where can i get those style filters, and should i run 2 different pumps or one large one with 2 silters T'ed into it?

http://www.kensfish.com/aticompletefilters.html

I run multiples sponges with my luft pump.

http://www.marinedepot.com/air_pumps_coralife_luft_pump-ap.html

Jennie
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM

i got mine from aquariumcentral. think kits are 24$. sponges alone are about 5

Eddie
07-20-2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.kensfish.com/aticompletefilters.html

I run multiples sponges with my luft pump.

http://www.marinedepot.com/air_pumps_coralife_luft_pump-ap.html

Ditto on this, Kensfish is my #1 choice hands down for price and lightning fast shipping.

Eddie

spiffyfish
07-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Ok so I got some water straight from the tap into a test tube, and it came out to 7.6ph. I shouldn't even bother aging the water correct since it is already so high? Is there any other solution I have for my tap water or am I stuck going to a water station and getting ro water? I would like to use tap water just for the conveinance, but is it worth it to use buffers with the tap water?

Eddie
07-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Ok so I got some water straight from the tap into a test tube, and it came out to 7.6ph. I shouldn't even bother aging the water correct since it is already so high? Is there any other solution I have for my tap water or am I stuck going to a water station and getting ro water? I would like to use tap water just for the conveinance, but is it worth it to use buffers with the tap water?

What is your PH after aging 24 hours? This will gauge whether or not you can use straight tap. Also, keep in mind that some tap water is full of excess gas or tiny air bubbles that may bother the fish. You'll have to do some more testing.

Eddie

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 12:12 AM
I have not aged the water yet, as when I just took it from the tap the ph was so high. Should I still age the water and retest, I assuming it would need to drop 1 whole number to around 6.5, is that likely to happen after aging the water?

Eddie
07-21-2010, 12:16 AM
I have not aged the water yet, as when I just took it from the tap the ph was so high. Should I still age the water and retest, I assuming it would need to drop 1 whole number to around 6.5, is that likely to happen after aging the water?

7.6 is not high at all. Aging your water could have drastic changes in PH. It can vary, some water moves a full point up or down, some more some less.

Eddie

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Ok so the best thing for me to do would be to age the water then retest, and I will be able to know from there if my tap water will be good to use.

Eddie
07-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Ok so the best thing for me to do would be to age the water then retest, and I will be able to know from there if my tap water will be good to use.

Thats right, just fill a bucket, add an airstone to off gas the water and it will stabilize to a set PH.

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Will try that hopefully it stabilizes to where I can use it, thankyou for the help eddie

Eddie
07-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Will try that hopefully it stabilizes to where I can use it, thankyou for the help eddie

Always!

Discus master
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM

well for me I use the pre filter on the intake tube and a air stone for the sponge filter if you wanted to run two sponges just use a powerfull enough pump and use a gang valve which will increase your air pump outlets and run multiple air lines I have a pump with two outlets on it already its kind of a big boy, lol. Also do not forget your check valves to stop any back sypthing of your water that can ocour in the event of a power or pump faliure:)

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
ok tested the water after 10 hours and nothing had changed, i am letting it age for 14 more hours, but do not think it will make a difference. what should i do now since my tap water is more than likely out of the question.

DiscusOnly
07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
ok tested the water after 10 hours and nothing had changed, i am letting it age for 14 more hours, but do not think it will make a difference. what should i do now since my tap water is more than likely out of the question.

I am confused. Why is using tap water out of the question? There is no reason why you can't use your tap water for discus. Am I missing something?

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 12:26 PM
i know i can use it but, will i be able too without an RO unit, or using a buffer. i have aged the water for 10 hours and the ph level was still 7.6, i am still letting it age and will test it later but am not expecting any change. so other than using a buffer or an RO unit is there any other things i can do?

DiscusOnly
07-21-2010, 12:33 PM
i know i can use it but, will i be able too without an RO unit, or using a buffer. i have aged the water for 10 hours and the ph level was still 7.6, i am still letting it age and will test it later but am not expecting any change. so other than using a buffer or an RO unit is there any other things i can do?

Domestic discus are perfectly fine in water of 7.6 PH. Arey using trying to use RO water to lower the PH?

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/water_chemistry/general/ph_nochange.shtml

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
no im not using RO water yet, i wanted to be able to use my tap water for the most part and was hoping the ph level would be around 6.5. i didnt want to have to buy an RO unit or go to a water station everyday to achieve that, so is there any way i can still use my tap water and get around a 6.5 ph level?

DiscusOnly
07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
no im not using RO water yet, i wanted to be able to use my tap water for the most part and was hoping the ph level would be around 6.5. i didnt want to have to buy an RO unit or go to a water station everyday to achieve that, so is there any way i can still use my tap water and get around a 6.5 ph level?

Read the link in my previous post. There are plenty of folks on this forum that use tap water for their discus and their ph isn't 6.5

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 12:44 PM
thanks for the link, so i will be fine with straight tap water and prime added, and daily plenty of water changes. and later on down the road i can use RO water if i decide to breed a pair?

DiscusKev
07-21-2010, 01:28 PM
thanks for the link, so i will be fine with straight tap water and prime added, and daily plenty of water changes. and later on down the road i can use RO water if i decide to breed a pair?

Yes you can, but make sure your PH doesn't fluctuate. If it do, age your water by placing it into a water container/barrel and agitate it with an air pump (airline+airstone). RO water is neccessary if you plan to breed, but it isn't always a necessity if you have the correct water parameter, and that discus don't have to be in the recommended water parameter boundary to successfully breed. RO water is recommended for breeding though.

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 01:41 PM
ok i will have 2 55 gallon plastic barrels for water changes, if i do decide to breed a pair, how do i take they from a tank with say my tap water around 7.6 ph, to a seperate tank with RO water at a lower ph?

DiscusKev
07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
ok i will have 2 55 gallon plastic barrels for water changes, if i do decide to breed a pair, how do i take they from a tank with say my tap water around 7.6 ph, to a seperate tank with RO water at a lower ph?

I would re-acclimate them since the water chemistry would obviously be different, TDS, hardness, PH.etc

Off course, there are other ways to do it, others should shine some light for you :)

tdiscusman
07-21-2010, 02:53 PM

You probably need a mixing barrel, where you add RO from RO barrel and aged tap water from tap barrel. Depending on ratio of tap vs RO, normally you would not need to adjust ph (use whatever ph is), but if you need to you can adjust ph in mixing barrel.

Tony

RudeDogg1
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
if your tap water is alright why not just get a HMA? You dont get all the waste like from a RO and you wont need to buy prime

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Would an HMA lower the ph level of my tap water, and how cost effective is it from getting an HMA, to getting an RO unit?

RudeDogg1
07-21-2010, 03:50 PM
no it wont change the ph i dont think (sure someone else will know the answer). Cost effective and economical because u get no waste water where as a ro u only get about a quater of the water that goes through it the rest goes down the drain

DiscusKev
07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Would an HMA lower the ph level of my tap water, and how cost effective is it from getting an HMA, to getting an RO unit?

With a HMA, you won't be needing to buy any dechlorinator product or such, HMA only removes harmful metals and chlorine, it will not change your water hardness, PH and possibly TDS. It is cheaper in the long term as products like Prime will eventually add up to the total cost of a HMA unit.

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Ok the HMA unit looks like it would be the best thing for me. What unit are you guys using? And as far as down the road if I decide to breed what would be the best way toacclimate a pair without drastically sticking them in a big ph change, say from 7.6 to 6.5?

Eddie
07-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Too many posts, lol.

Your tap is perfect. Drain the tanks, add prime, then fill from tap. Keep it simple.

Eddie

spiffyfish
07-21-2010, 07:44 PM
i know i know sorry just want to get it right, do not want dead fish.
thankyou everyone for all the help though

Chris

spiffyfish
07-22-2010, 12:43 PM
ok so ive decided on a 75 gallon tank
2 hydro sponge filters
2 jager 300w heaters- 1 for back up
havent decided on a pump yet
i will use my tap water with prime, will also have 2 55 gallon barrels to store and age water in
and 50% water changes daily until grown out
i am going to start off with 6 discus
As for food some form of granules, and bloodworms

any suggestions or comments are welcome

Eddie
07-23-2010, 05:18 AM
ok so ive decided on a 75 gallon tank
2 hydro sponge filters
2 jager 300w heaters- 1 for back up
havent decided on a pump yet
i will use my tap water with prime, will also have 2 55 gallon barrels to store and age water in
and 50% water changes daily until grown out
i am going to start off with 6 discus
As for food some form of granules, and bloodworms

any suggestions or comments are welcome

Not bad, sound like a good plan. Might I suggest you use Seachem SAFE instead of Prime. You will save hundreds of dollars, seriously. 6 discus in a 75 for growout seems a tad short on coverage. I'd go with 8-9 and you'll have a few that will not growout as good as the rest of the group. Its the facts of discus keeping. Not all fish are created equal. ;) For the food, skip the bloodworms and go for Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms. Mal's worms will put some GOOD size on your fish and are very clean.

All the best,

Eddie

Skip
07-23-2010, 10:21 AM
MY FIRST POST!

Spiffy...!! i am just now going to start my first discus tank also.. you were asking the SAME EXACT Questions i had..!!

the guys/gals have given some great answers!!

i have stablized a 30 long, driving to houston to get 3 discus from GULF COAST DISCUS.. don't worry ya'll.. i have a 125/stand i just aquired thru barter for free!!
thats going to be the one i really want to stock well for long term.. but i want to get try it out on a smaller scale for a couple of months while, i collect the materials i need for the big one.. then and save money for buy some more discus..
my 30 has a heater 84 deg, ph is about 7.4-7.6 (tap), RENA Smartfilter and Marineland Magnum 220 (Don't laugh, its old but it works!) with a very small gravel bed...

my questions,
do should i also get a Sponge Filter?

Should i take out the carbon? (i hear its bad for discus!)

When i take out water during WC.. do i had the Water Conditioner to tank then add water? or add it to the water then put into tank?

If discus are so skittish or stress easy.. doesn't the WC freak them out? if so.. how do i avoid stressing them out so much?

THANKS!!

i look forward to reading more and learning from this Forum!!

Warlock, New Discus Addict!

spiffyfish
07-23-2010, 11:07 AM
thanks again for the advice Eddie, tank should be set up next week, now i just need to figure out what strains i want.

discuspaul
07-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Spiffyfish:
Above advice is very good & I agree 100%,
There is absolutely nothing wrong with maintaining farm-raised discus (as opposed to wilds) in 7.6 ph - so long as it's maintained steadily - with that level coming out of your tap, & not altering with reasonable ageing, it should be no problem at all.
Get good stock, & acclimate them properly from the get-go, that's all.
As others will tell you, you can run into many more problems by trying to alter your Ph to suit what you feel you need, and fussing around with RO which I would suggest you probably do not need.
Ph of 6.5 ? I wouldn't even dream of it unless I was breeding them.
I have maintained 6 near adult discus (now) for many months @ a steady 7.2 ph, & they're doing just great !
I know a discuskeeper that has kept & raised many healthy discus @ ph of 8.
All the best,
Paul