PDA

View Full Version : difference between cherkerboard pigeon and red map

ctzeh
07-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Hi guys, just want to find out if there is any difference between checkerboard and red map discus. Somehow i feel that they are the same type of discus. However, some people have told me that red maps are checkerboards without any pepper, is that true?

Also, if a pigeon line fish does not have pepper, does it mean that it has loss all its pigeon genes?

Also, what is the surest way to tell if a fish has pigeon genes especially when it does not have pepper. Some people have said that pigeon fishes have very deep red eyes. Thanks for any comments.

Rex82
07-20-2010, 06:14 AM
difference between checkerboard and red map...... the name is all IMHO.
Any Pigeon, doesn't matter how clean it is will have black pigment in the fins at the very least. Or breed them and you will see the fry willl have pepper

tdiscusman
07-20-2010, 05:44 PM
difference between checkerboard and red map...... the name is all IMHO.

Ditto, IMO, It's all in the name, checkerboard and red map my have slightly different pattern hence the difference name.

IMHO, Pigeon Blood (PB) normally have peppers, no stress bar, the tails normally are black, sometime exhibit black rim round dorsal and ventral fins and the base color is not the same as other strain, it's kinda hard to explain: pale orangie or glowing red base kinda artificial looking. However, nowadays, there are some very clean pigeons blood (PB) being sold, not even 1 speckle of pepper, tails are clear and not black rims, but put that pigeon in a dark tank and most of the pigeon traits like peppers, black fins, rim will show up. Also many strains which may have some PB in them but are so diluted that it's very difficult to tell unless the creator or breeder tell you that it's has PB, or when you breed them and some of the fry have pepper.

Just my 2 cents

HTH
Tony

Eddie
07-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Nothing, both pigeon based. There will always be pigeons with more or less pepper than another pigeon variety.

ctzeh
07-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Hi guys, thanks so much for the explanations. IMO pepper is what makes pigeon bloods special from the rest of the discus.