PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the GE Merlin RO unit?

David Rose
07-21-2010, 09:28 PM
I've seen some posts about the Merlin, but anyone here actually using it....

Pros/Cons? Likes/dislikes? Do you have an issue with the TDS at start up?

Thanks in advance!
David

DiscusOnly
07-22-2010, 02:57 PM
David,

installed one at my friend's setup. Only problem is the pre-filter that comes with the unit is not adequate. I added a big blue sediment filter and it helped alot. To answer your question, YES. there will be tds creep at startup. You can add something like this. http://www.airwaterice.com/product/ANTITDS/Anti-TDS-Creep-storage-tank-18-x-33.html

I have no experience with the above device.

Van

David Rose
07-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Van.... I've been curious about them for awhile now. My current Culligan system works fine, but I'm pretty much maxed out on production to keep up with my current tanks. You never know when you might want to add another :D

Altum Nut
07-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Hello David,

Not sure if this link is going to work....however view a thread on Finarama Angel Fish site I also belong too that talks a lot about this unit.
Hope it helps because this is what unit I buy if I get rid of my unit.

http://www.finarama.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=929

...Ralph

David Rose
07-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks Ralph.... I'll check it out after my registration is approved!

Discus_KC
07-23-2010, 08:34 AM
David,

I use one and love it. It has the output i need.

Jack

David Rose
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
David,

I use one and love it. It has the output i need.

Jack

Good to know... I'm definitely thinking of upgrading so I can add more tanks:D

Willie
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I got mine after Jack/KC recommended it and I love it. I added a prefilter (from Home Depot) to lengthen the life of the RO membranes.

This thing can fill a 55-gallon drum in an hour. Depending on the water temperature (optimal is 75F), the R/O to waste ratio is 1:1. I've had it for two years and have not had to change the filter, although I did replace the charcoal filter after 18 months.

During our club's annual fish show, I set it up in the sink area and everyone who sets up their fish have their choice of soft (R/O) or hard (waste) water. This thing makes all the other units look like toys.

Willie

David Rose
08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I got one as well... but who knows when I'll get around to installing it....LOL!