PDA

View Full Version : Purigin and plants

Discus master
07-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I just started with plants, well I have a few low maintenance plants like java fern and some java moss. I also have started using Purigin as it came highly recomended by SD members so I went and bought some two weeks ago I do like it by the way. My question is this is it safe to use with plnats? I am a little late now I know but I did not even think about it untill after the plans were in the tank. I mean will it kill them or will the Purigin rob the plants of the good stuff they need to live? no fertz just regular tap water dechlo not aged temp 85f is this stuff ok to use with my plants??

David Rose
07-27-2010, 01:37 PM
If you do a search on "Purigen" here on SD, you will find this has been discussed. There is also information available on Seachems' website as well under The FAQ section for this product.

In short, using it in a planted tank is fine and many discus keepers do so.

Discus master
07-27-2010, 02:49 PM
If you do a search on "Purigen" here on SD, you will find this has been discussed. There is also information available on Seachems' website as well under The FAQ section for this product.

In short, using it in a planted tank is fine and many discus keepers do so.

Thanks for the direction, I see your from my neck of the woods huh?
thanks for the quick response good to know!

David Rose
07-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Yep...we're neighbors.

Discus master
07-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Yep...we're neighbors.

Hey how is your water up there in the Burg!!

I mean like straight out of the tap? do you have to age?

Yorks water is fairly soft with a ph of around 7.4 and it actually drop to around 6.8 after airation, thats strange to me.

David Rose
07-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I have a well.... so the source water is 16gh, 12kh and 7.6 ph from tap. I use a household water softener to take it to 7gh, 5kh and ph stays 7.6 until aged going up to 8.4ph. That said, I use an RO unit for best control for water changes.

Discus master
07-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a well.... so the source water is 16gh, 12kh and 7.6 ph from tap. I use a household water softener to take it to 7gh, 5kh and ph stays 7.6 until aged going up to 8.4ph. That said, I use an RO unit for best control for water changes.

Every where I read peoples PH goes up after aging guess what mine goes down, from a 7.2 - 7.4 to a 6.8 now why is this?

the only thing I can think of is because the water is pretty soft and my buffering capabilites are not real high?

I have a gh of about 5 and a kh of around 3 and the tank water is the same and it does stablize goes no further than a 6.8ph even after like 48 hours of heavy airation I tried the test several times now to confirm I eve kept a log of this. so wht do you think???

David Rose
07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Every where I read peoples PH goes up after aging guess what mine goes down, from a 7.2 - 7.4 to a 6.8 now why is this?

the only thing I can think of is because the water is pretty soft and my buffering capabilites are not real high?

I have a gh of about 5 and a kh of around 3 and the tank water is the same and it does stablize goes no further than a 6.8ph even after like 48 hours of heavy airation I tried the test several times now to confirm I eve kept a log of this. so wht do you think???

The kH component is what buffers/stabilizes your pH. The 3 reading your getting is borderline at best to stabilize your pH and you may be at risk of a pH crash and resulting pH burn. Test your tank kH in between water changes to see if there is fluctuation along with your pH. Unless you're adding something with carbonate, it may not change.

Depending on our readings, I would recommend using crushed coral to stabilize your pH in your water storage barrel or in media bag in your filter(s). My preference would be the storage barrel if you have one.

Discus master
07-30-2010, 12:30 PM
The kH component is what buffers/stabilizes your pH. The 3 reading your getting is borderline at best to stabilize your pH and you may be at risk of a pH crash and resulting pH burn. Test your tank kH in between water changes to see if there is fluctuation along with your pH. Unless you're adding something with carbonate, it may not change.

Depending on our readings, I would recommend using crushed coral to stabilize your pH in your water storage barrel or in media bag in your filter(s). My preference would be the storage barrel if you have one.

got you the kh sometimes hits 4 but its rite around there all i know is for a few months now it never chages and the ph is stable at 6.8 after airating and yeah i just started to age my water so i have a contaner i hearb baking powdr will help as well? but i figure as long as it does not and has not changed i should be fine i will keep monirting especially in between wc. my tap is always 7.2 - 7.4 so i need to age now im looking at getting a pump to atumate it a little bit well less labor anyways.

David Rose
07-30-2010, 02:20 PM
got you the kh sometimes hits 4 but its rite around there all i know is for a few months now it never chages and the ph is stable at 6.8 after airating and yeah i just started to age my water so i have a contaner i hearb baking powdr will help as well? but i figure as long as it does not and has not changed i should be fine i will keep monirting especially in between wc. my tap is always 7.2 - 7.4 so i need to age now im looking at getting a pump to atumate it a little bit well less labor anyways.

Sounds good then...you have it under control. Lucky you! :D

Discus master
07-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Sounds good then...you have it under control. Lucky you! :D

Well I did not say all that my wife is the one in real control if she said I have to use a shot glass to fil the tank I would be lol now but she knows who the boss really is lol:D