PDA

View Full Version : re-sealing a tank

utiliy
08-01-2010, 07:15 AM
bought a few tanks and lights at a good price-wanting to know how to seal it. peal off all the silicone and clean it with what, then put new silcone on?

nc0gnet0
08-01-2010, 08:47 AM
use a razor blade and get all the silicone off. I then usually clean with vinegar or rubbing alcohol. When you re-apply new silicone you need to do it all at once, as silicone will not adhere to itself once dry. I prefer to mask off the seams but if your good you don't need to. If you do use masking tape you will need to remove it before the silicone sets up.

Ed13
08-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Remove the old silicone with single edged razor blades. The clean the area with acetone of alcohol. Apply the silicone and smooth it out, could use a finger for this. Trick is to apply it and smooth it with a single pass.

on_golden_wing
08-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi all,
Im in the process of resealing a 90 gallon tank as well.Im wondering if a certain brand of silicone is better than another? Any suggestions on which brand is the strongest? Thank you,
Daniel

nc0gnet0
08-01-2010, 09:24 AM
The clean the area with acetone of alcohol

Pure acetone not nail polish remover. Yup, stuff works great as well and evaporates quickly. Just don't do it while smoking :D

nc0gnet0
08-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Im wondering if a certain brand of silicone is better than another?

I prefer to stick with the brands labeled "aquarium safe". I know others use GE I. You want to avoid anything that contains anti mildew/mold additives. Personally, I prefer the stuff that comes in a caulk gun tube, working with those small hand squeeze tubes is a PITA in my opinion.

fishorama
08-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Getting every trace of old silicone is the most important step, lots of razor blading & rubbing alcohol. Masking tape makes caulking faster & less messy but remove before silicone sets. If you haven't used a caulking gun before, practice on a piece of cardboard to get a feel for it. Don't cut the tube too short, a narrow bead is all you need & you can always cut more off if too narrow.

Use you finger, popsicle stick or shape an old credit card to smooth the caulk. You need to have it in contact with both pieces of glass, no bubbles but wider isn't any better, 1/8 inch on each side is ok. Corners a bit tricky but you can't really see them anyway just no air bubbles. Caulk, smooth & remove tape before it starts to set. If you goof up you'll have to start all over with cleaning after it dries, there's no patching in resealing.

I have used GE I & DAP brand Window & Door. Allow it to cure for at least 48 hours or until the vinegar smell is gone.

PC1
08-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I prefer to stick with the brands labeled "aquarium safe". I know others use GE I. You want to avoid anything that contains anti mildew/mold additives. Personally, I prefer the stuff that comes in a caulk gun tube, working with those small hand squeeze tubes is a PITA in my opinion.

2nd this! I've done 1 but really nerve racking when I was getting ready to use it.