PDA

View Full Version : Blood Worms vs Black worms

henpecked
08-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Simple question: any nutritional difference between freeze dried Blood Worms (which I currently use) and FZD Black Worms?

I,m always looking for the best food available:D

Jennie
08-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I believe the Blackworms were higher in protein than bloodworms. Brewmaster sells blackworms and can give you the up n up on them

brewmaster15
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Simple question: any nutritional difference between freeze dried Blood Worms (which I currently use) and FZD Black Worms?

I,m always looking for the best food available:D

Hi Henpecked....

When compared to Bloodworms....yes they are a better food for growth and fattening up.... If you look at the nutritional profiles of the two...

Hikari Blood worms frzn...

crude protein...6%
crude fat .... 0.5%
fiber.... 0.9 %

moisture...89%

Frozen Blood worms are almost 90% water!

Freeze dried blackworms...
[ Dry weight] Crude Protein 66.35% Crude Fat 13.87% Crude Fiber 0.24% Moisture 3%
Keep in mind I'm comparing frzn food here with Freeze dried...but even if I pulled a freeze dried no name brand's data...http://jehmco.com/html/freeze_dried.html
Protein - 58%, Fat - 5%, Fiber - 2%, Moisture - 4%.

The blackworms are nutritionally higher in fat and protein....:)

I might as well also mention that although not related to the nutritional aspects of feeding Freeze dried blackworms verses blood worms, is that many people have or will develop an allergy to The Blood worms....this is not the case when using Black worms. I have done polls here on simplydiscus that show close to 30% of users of Blood worms are allergic to them and get serious rashes and reactions.

I personally get massive welts and swollen eyes from Blood worms... thankfully these Freeze dried Blackworms do not do that!

hth,
al

henpecked
08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks Brew.

By the way, I am one of those 30%, so this is great news. I will be putting my order in.:)

Skip
08-05-2010, 11:15 AM
brewM.. what is shipping for the blackworms? the small package..

ZX10R
08-05-2010, 11:59 AM
brewM.. what is shipping for the blackworms? the small package..

I just bought some I believe I paid $4.99 for shipping thru USPS.

brewmaster15
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi,
Shipping is by Priority mail on most packages in the small size box...so it runs about $4.95 domestic USA shipping, international depends on the location and mode of shipping.

The smallest size packages are 10 Grams and these are $10.00 and include first class postage.

hth,
al

joshuajames
08-05-2010, 12:49 PM
blood worms suck real bad if you are allergic to them!!!! my fish seem to like freeze dried black worms better. seems like you get more worm for the buck with the black worms also.

Skip
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
What about LIVE Blackworms vs Freeze Dried Blackworms?

Skip
08-05-2010, 02:16 PM
LOL>> neva mind.. Al.. just ordered some FDBW!

thanks

Islesfan
08-05-2010, 02:33 PM
What about LIVE Blackworms vs Freeze Dried Blackworms?

No pathogens with FDBW

Skip
08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
No pathogens with FDBW

yep.. i jus googled it.. i bought them anyways.. :antlers:

Tito
08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Hum...

I know I start to itch! right away with Bloodworms and Tubifex!!

I stopped feeding any kind of worm!

I wont even take the chance feeding black worms.

Skip
08-05-2010, 05:15 PM
:angel:I just bought my first patch!! i hope they like what PAPPI bought them!

brewmaster15
08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
:angel:I just bought my first patch!! i hope they like what PAPPI bought them!

You are all set ....That'll go out in the mail tomarrow am. Thanks!

-al

rich815
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Wouldn't comparing to fried-dried bloodworms be a bit more of an apples to apples comparion?

My canister of Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms shows as follows:

Crude Protein min 65%
Crude Fat min 5%
Crude Fiber max 3.5%
Moisture max 6.5%

ZX10R
08-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Or you can just do what I do feed them both. Just a thought :)

j_li8
08-05-2010, 07:34 PM
thats what i do. i feed both frozen blood worms and freeze dried black worms among other foods.

musicmarn1
06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
You are all set ....That'll go out in the mail tomarrow am. Thanks!

-al

i just got mine today too THANKS !!! i put them right in and everyone but the smallest lfs rescue ( i know i know) gobbled them all up, good news is the other lfs rescue is growing again after looking seriously stunted he is actually getting to be the best looking one if slightly smaller! but the other one.....well at least i know he is getting every chance and every good food i can find, so thanks brewmaster !

brewmaster15
06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
i just got mine today too THANKS !!! i put them right in and everyone but the smallest lfs rescue ( i know i know) gobbled them all up, good news is the other lfs rescue is growing again after looking seriously stunted he is actually getting to be the best looking one if slightly smaller! but the other one.....well at least i know he is getting every chance and every good food i can find, so thanks brewmaster !
You are very welcome!!
-al

krazqban76
07-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Al, I just received my order a little while ago. I threw 1 spinach cube in the tank and at first they all started staring at the cube for about 1 minute but, once the first 1 nibbled on it they all charged and tore the cube up! Al, thanks for breaking the order up. Later on I'm going to give them the regular FDBW's
Thanks Again, Ramon

White Worm
07-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Great food! All my discus love them and they are a clean food. Don't have to worry about cleaning up leftovers and they do well in the auto feeder. Planaria has all but disappeared since I started using FDBW as a staple food and the bag lasts forever. By the way, I'm also in the 30% of those who are allergic to FBW.

sandy
07-09-2013, 12:04 AM
You mean to ask FDBW also use in automatic feeder and ya am also a great fan of al FDBW they go crazy when I drop one cube in their tanks at that movement they become cute piraņa but my fishes are not interested in bloodworms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobdon
07-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Dry dog food higher protien and fat than canned dog food no water.Dry it out protien and fat go up.