PDA

View Full Version : attn: Heiko/Hudson, Poecilia Petensis

dpt8
08-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi All, I just bought 2M.3F Poecilia Petensis.. Green sailfin mollies but the males have a small black sword extending from their lower tail. May have come from Guatemala, Lake Petensis ?? Females are silver, males gorgeous... all very BIG !!

Right now I have 1.5 tsp of Instant Ocean salt per gallon. They are in a 30 gl. cube. Sand. 78 degrees... Will feed them green flakes, FBW ( until I get more FDBW from Al ), and plan on putting a piece of romaine lettuce in there periodically. Bag of crushed coral in HOB filter to buffer PH. I was thinking of putting in some artificial plants in there for babies to hide in.
Any other ideas ??

richgrenfell
11-04-2010, 05:38 AM
I know it's an old thread but did you ever get any fry?

dpt8
11-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi Rich, I got a LOT of fry.. Wish I had another larger tank to grow them out in.. I have 8 young adults, grown out 1/2 size but looks like all females. I have a lot of fry also.. I should bring some to Al's for the meeting.

They are beautifuland easy to care for.. Thanks for asking !! David T :9)

richgrenfell
11-05-2010, 07:28 AM
I would love to get some fry or juvies from you. Anyway we can work that out?

dpt8
11-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I can bring some to Al's meeting. Are you going then ?? They grow fast. Especially the way we do water changes !! The formula in my post #1 of this thread does the trick :9)

richgrenfell
11-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Afraid I am not going to make it that day. I am working. Maybe Al can hold onto the bags and I can pick them up that evening. I'll send him a PM and ask. How much are they?

dpt8
11-07-2010, 08:54 AM
FREE !! I am glad someone like yourself is interested in helping raise and keep this unusual strain of wild green sailfin mollies. I haven't found a very good picture of them online. I'll try to get a good pic of my adults. What you will recieve is very young fry BUT they grow really fast.. They do need room, water changes and sea salt for good growth and males to develop the high dorsel.

I wish someone would chime in if they are experienced in raising sailfin mollies. I have about 8 that are half grown and they all look to be females ?? Could water ph play a role in determining the sex or because i have a couple mature males in their tank, could nature make them females or none of the above ??

richgrenfell
11-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I have raised plenty of Sailfins. Not wild types though. I used to have a really nice line of Gold going at one time. You are correct, the proper amount of salt as well as enough grow out space is essential. I have found that smaller water changes are best with sailfins and most other live bearers. By the way, are your original stock wilds? If not do you know the F number?

Al says he can hang onto the fish for me till I arrive. Being that it doesn't even start till 2 I should be able to at least stop in.

I have quite a fondness for wild type live bearers. I just got in a trio of Micropoecilia parae (Red Melanzona). I'll keep you in mind for fry if you like.

dpt8
11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey Rich. Sounds good.. I hope to move and have a fish room soon to be able to raise more discus and sailfin fry. Sounds like a can pick your brain more on raising these pocilia beauties.

These petenensis are not wild caught but also not very far removed.. Maybe F2 or F3.. Some of the fry may be crosses now with real wild lapitinnia.. I put one excellent F2 male in with some pentenensis to help develop a very high dorsel. The two pentenensis males I have and the ones I have seen have the cool small swordtail and medium dorsel.

Did I tell you I bought my pentenensis and the rest went to the Boston Aquarium..??

dpt8
07-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Hey, I just found this old post of mine.. I have petenensis mollies right now.. They are beautiful and pure wild blood.. 9 good size babies right now.. 2 pr.

lipadj46
07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Hey, I just found this old post of mine.. I have petenensis mollies right now.. They are beautiful and pure wild blood.. 9 good size babies right now.. 2 pr.

pics!

mrblah00
07-09-2013, 12:50 AM
yeah....lets see some pics.

Ryan
07-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Are they Poecilia pentenensis, like this? http://nettakvariet.no/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=44478&stc=1&d=1207332630

If so they look like very nice fish. Is the salt required for them? I know some mollies are better as brackish fish. That's the only thing that keeps me from wanting to try a few as dithers.

dpt8
07-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Ryan, Salt should not be a deterrant. I now use 1 tablespoon per ten gallons.. Just a little but you don't even need salt. That is a pic of the mollies though.. but mine is a little less colorful yet.. They do keep their sail up all the time.

dpt8
07-09-2013, 06:00 AM
The sword on my males is more pronounced though..