PDA

View Full Version : 120G Discus biotope

Zythum
08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Hi all,

I am starting a 75G mbuna in a few weeks to learn freshwater a bit. I am currrently closing my 120G reef after 4 years (expensive, hard, not much time for it on the summer). I want to have Discus in the 120G (was planning on having them in the 75G, but it's not that big for discus and the 75G is located in a busy room). Here is the planned setup, I wanna keep it simple and low maintenance:

- Tank is 60x18x27H

- The tank is already drilled with an overflow and a 50G sump. The return pump is good for 600GPH.

- I plan on putting a DIY wet dry filter in the sump

- Lighting would be from 36 x 2W white LEDs

- For substrate, 2-3" medium grade pool filter sand

- I wanna get some pieces of driftwood that look like roots, tied to the braces

- The PH will be below 7 and the temperature around 86

- I want the tea colored water, will be using peat in the sump

For the plants, I will put the following:

- Various swords for discus temp
- Any plants from amazon that can withstand the discus temp
- I will use fert tabs like required on the plants that need it

Planned population:

- 6 Sterbai cory
- 20 Cardinal tetras
- 20 Rummynose tetras
- 6 Blue ram
- 8 Discus, I will get adults to prevent polluting the tank

For maintenance, I will get a python and change 50G a week, maybe twice if there is a need. I will use tap water that will be treated and left sitting for 24 hours.

Any suggestions? Any other fish nice or practical fish that could be added?

Thank you

Jennie
08-08-2010, 08:09 PM
you're going to need to change more water than that to prevent bacteria build up over time.

Hi all,

I am starting a 75G mbuna in a few weeks to learn freshwater a bit. I am currrently closing my 120G reef after 4 years (expensive, hard, not much time for it on the summer). I want to have Discus in the 120G (was planning on having them in the 75G, but it's not that big for discus and the 75G is located in a busy room). Here is the planned setup, I wanna keep it simple and low maintenance:

- Tank is 60x18x27H

- The tank is already drilled with an overflow and a 50G sump. The return pump is good for 600GPH.

- I plan on putting a DIY wet dry filter in the sump

- Lighting would be from 36 x 2W white LEDs

- For substrate, 2-3" medium grade pool filter sand

- I wanna get some pieces of driftwood that look like roots, tied to the braces

- The PH will be below 7 and the temperature around 86

- I want the tea colored water, will be using peat in the sump

For the plants, I will put the following:

- Various swords for discus temp
- Any plants from amazon that can withstand the discus temp
- I will use fert tabs like required on the plants that need it

Planned population:

- 6 Sterbai cory
- 20 Cardinal tetras
- 20 Rummynose tetras
- 6 Blue ram
- 8 Discus, I will get adults to prevent polluting the tank

For maintenance, I will get a python and change 50G a week, maybe twice if there is a need. I will use tap water that will be treated and left sitting for 24 hours.

Any suggestions? Any other fish nice or practical fish that could be added?

Thank you

Altum Nut
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Your fish selection seem appropriate for your 120g.
I would also agree that you will need to change at least 4 times the amount as you originally planned per week because of the added furniture. I would keep temp between 82-84. Your ph can remain neutral at 7 unless you decide to get Heckels. Your treated water stored in bin cannot just sit and needs movement like via airstone and temp should match tank water, so an added heater in bin required.
Keep us posted with pics once it's up and running.

...Ralph

Discus-Hans
08-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Those Discus are adults, no overfeeding because you don't need to grow them, good filtration, clean up crew, I think you can do it with 2 x 50 gallon water changes a week.

Hans

Zythum
08-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Ok, I could automate my water change and do it 2-3 times a week, without vacuuming. I can use tap water if I threat it with something like prime?

My water change container are rubbermaid brute with a heater and powerhead. I have two now for the reef, one for saltwater and one for freshwater top off. Do you put any product in new water?

Thank you