PDA

View Full Version : Bee mimic and spider pics

brewmaster15
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi all,
A few more macro critter shots... This first set is a "Bee" Fly...belongs to a large group of flies that mimic Bees for the safety it imparts.

HYL,
al

brewmaster15
08-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Saw this spider just hanging out in a patch of sunshine in the woods waiting...

HYL,
al

brewmaster15
08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Last Set... just goes to show you that size isn't everything....

First glance just looked like a dead hornet.

but a closer look showed the culprit ... and Assassin Bug was camoflaged at the base the the flowers waiting...when lunch comes along....it grabs it and impales it with its proboscis ....lightning fast and efficient.

you can read more about these little killers...
http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_bugs/Reduviidae.htm

HYL,
al

Jennie
08-10-2010, 08:07 PM
you're pretty good with a lens brewmaster.

Discus-n00b
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Those are great Al. I like how you can see the light reflecting on the wings in the first set. What lens/camera are you using?

scottishbloke
08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Last Set... just goes to show you that size isn't everything....

First glance just looked like a dead hornet.

but a closer look showed the culprit ... and Assassin Bug was camoflaged at the base the the flowers waiting...when lunch comes along....it grabs it and impales it with its proboscis ....lightning fast and efficient.

you can read more about these little killers...
http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_bugs/Reduviidae.htm

HYL,
al

Nice Pix!
I seem to remember reading also that when reduvid bugs get caught in a spider's web, they will attempt to stab the spider in the leg when it attacks and inject its lethal saliva; if the spider does not quickly amputate its own bitten leg at the specialized coxa-trochanter "snap off" joint at the leg base (which they do in around 75% of instances) above the bite site, the venom will soon spread up into its main body and it will die.

When camping last week, I took some rather poor photos of a pompilid wasp attacking a big spider on a picnic bench; out of its funnel-like web the spider was outclassed, and stung into paralysis. The wasp then carried its victim all the way down the bench, across the ground, and up inside a dead tree, to be eaten alive by the wasp's grub when it hatches from an egg laid on the spider. Not a nice way to go :(

Colin

scottishbloke
08-10-2010, 09:22 PM
A second pic...

Colin

DiscusKev
08-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Awesome macro shots Al, although I don't really like these critters (especially during the summer!), they really look nice close-up (colour, pattern.etc), some may look creepy when zoomed in to the max!

brewmaster15
08-11-2010, 04:13 AM
you're pretty good with a lens brewmaster. Thanks.one of my original hobbies.. see more here...:)
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69195

Those are great Al. I like how you can see the light reflecting on the wings in the first set. What lens/camera are you using?
Thanks Matt,
I use pentax cameras...both digital and print, but lately mostly digital..The camera is a pentax k20D (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_k20d.asp) which I really enjoy using...The lens is a carry over from my Print film days.....its a 50 mm macro F2.8 smc lens. The lens is not specifically made for digital, but since Pentax made all their digital cameras compatible with all their SLR lens...its works fine..The lens is probably one of the best ones pentax ever made.. Someday down the line I hope to add a 100mm macro...be easier sneaking up on the critters.:)

Colin, Thats a great set of pics and write up..Thanks! That stuff fascinates me..I could spend days studying these critters and their complex lives.. We've got spider hunting wasps here as well in the USA....amazes me the size of the prey and how they actually are able to move it..

Awesome macro shots Al, although I don't really like these critters (especially during the summer!), they really look nice close-up (colour, pattern.etc), some may look creepy when zoomed in to the max! Kev, I hear you, I know alot of people don't like these guys..my wife and kids draw the line at spiders.....If they didn't..I'd be keeping tarantulas;) I really like insects and spiders....it amazes me how many kinds there are and how complex their live cycles and natural history is...Ive been studying them now close to 20 years and Theres always something new.

Thanks,
al

ashaysathe
08-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Real Nice Al. Very very good. Like the "yellow" tinge on the first line of photos. Very nice

Eddie
08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Awesome shots Al!

Take care,

Eddie