PDA

View Full Version : Some Red head Tapajos fry here now...

brewmaster15
08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi all,
A while back a friend of mine gave me 4 fry from his Red head Tapajos... so I raised them up and with luck, came out with 2 pairs.:) I had them in a 55 gal tank with some festivums.

Earlier this week I noticed both pairs...one on each side of the tank guarding eggs...This was their first set of eggs and they are very young still... next I noticed my smaller pair taking up the fry into their mouths and brooding...but it gets better..They then proceeded to steal the fry from the other pair!...
and they were pretty adamant they weren't giving them back!

I waited a few days and yesterday I pulled the other pair and the festivums and with in an hour, the remaining Geos let the fry out and I gave them a feeding of BBS. They've since taken them back in a few times, and I've fed them a few times but we are definetly new parents...Dads great...moms over protective and they now fight over the fry...he wants her to let them out...she wants to guard them.

They now have the fry split...she has half the tank and is still trying to mouth brood... he has the other half and he only trys to take them in for a moment or two then spits them out in a tight cluster...and man is he fast at gathering them.

Heres some shots of him with his half of the fry...

-al

Condor
08-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Awesome, Al! Beautiful fish, sounds like alot of fun to watch.

Adrian

vera
08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
LOL, cool !
Al i keep wondering how many tanks Mrs.Brew allowed u to have , u have more dif sp. then anyone i know :D
great shots !
TC

brewmaster15
08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Adrian,
These really are interesting fish... my friend Ashay here on Simply just gave me his pair of Altifrons as well to play with....:)

Vera,
I am almost always playing with something new here..;) It keeps me interested in the hobby and theres so much more to learn. I will always be a discus nut...but I'm a fish nut in general. I keep about 2500 gals here...many are discus, but I am also working with domestic and wild angels, port cichlids, festivums, Geos,severums, and some plecos as well as some temperative native species.... add to that Rat snakes, red footed tortoises and my future plans of some amphibians and its better than a zoo here.:D

as for Mrs.Brew? What a wonderful and understanding woman she is!:angel: I'm very very lucky!

-al

vera
08-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Vera,
I am almost always playing with something new here..;) It keeps me interested in the hobby and theres so much more to learn. I will always be a discus nut...but I'm a fish nut in general. I keep about 2500 gals here...many are discus, but I am also working with domestic and wild angels, port cichlids, festivums, Geos,severums, and some plecos as well as some temperative native species.... add to that Rat snakes, red footed tortoises and my future plans of some amphibians and its better than a zoo here.:D

as for Mrs.Brew? What a wonderful and understanding woman she is!:angel: I'm very very lucky!

-al

Al, u really involved LOL ..and snakes and tortoises all u need is a crock:)
u really lucky to have such a support and understanding from yr loved one-itis a blessing in our hobby !

Discus-n00b
08-15-2010, 03:06 AM
A croc would make a good culling machine. ;)

Those look great Al, congrats on the fry. The Red Head Tapajos are some of my favorite Geos to look at.

j_li8
08-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Al, you never fail to impress us all with these new additions to that "zoo" of yours. Not only do you add to your collection, but you manage to successfully breed them too. Keep up the good work.

brewmaster15
09-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Hi all,
I have a bunch of fry availible now for these... They are a little over 1 inch...Took some pics I'll post a bit latter.....but these little guys zip all over the place..

Looking for $6 each.Plus shipping..(USA only)...minimum to ship will be 6 pieces..and these I will ship by Priority mail or fedex ( your choice.) Live guarantee by fedex/postal overnight service...Priority mail should get there live as well...but not guaranteed.........Pickups are welcome.

If interested also have a nice group of Homebred Domestic Angels fry that are F2's from a wildX domestic cross. $7 each. plus shipping.... photos latter as well. Info on these Angels here..http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=80011

Pm me if interested
Thanks,
al

ashaysathe
09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Really really Nice Red Heads Al.. very nice spawn. I love Geos. All kinds. Awesome. Good Luck with these Al. Very cool

brewmaster15
09-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks Ashay!

and as promised..some fry shots...

-al

ashaysathe
09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Amazing.. its incredible how much they eat

brewmaster15
09-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Ashay,
These little ones are like Piranha...thats all they do is eat...doesn't matter what it is.:):):)

-al

brewmaster15
10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm gonna need more tanks the way these guys are growing...

Slowed them down a bit with some food for these...

-al

ashaysathe
10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm gonna need more tanks the way these guys are growing...

Slowed them down a bit with some food for these...

-al

How did u seperate them from the parents when u did? I could never get that cleanly from the Altifrons when I had them. Was not easy at all. Stressed the parents a lot, female would not share the babies then and the male would beat the crap out of her. Was a painful process

brewmaster15
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
How did u seperate them from the parents when u did? I could never get that cleanly from the Altifrons when I had them. Was not easy at all. Stressed the parents a lot, female would not share the babies then and the male would beat the crap out of her. Was a painful process

Ashay,
I didn't think it would go as easy as it did..but I waited for the fry to be out of their mouths and then I fed them a good amount of BBS... The fry dispersed from the parents to feed...then I moved the parents to a new tank...and left the fry in the original tank...

-al

Ryan
10-15-2010, 01:31 AM
They look awesome Al. I'm afraid I stunted mine. I've had them for several months and they're only 2 - 3". They are a cool, colorful little Geo and they seem pretty peaceful to my other fish. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a fun sand-sifting cichlid. It should be noted that these guys do best in sand and don't appreciate gravel...

brewmaster15
10-15-2010, 05:21 AM
They look awesome Al. I'm afraid I stunted mine. I've had them for several months and they're only 2 - 3". They are a cool, colorful little Geo and they seem pretty peaceful to my other fish. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a fun sand-sifting cichlid. It should be noted that these guys do best in sand and don't appreciate gravel... Want some more Ryan to play around with? ;):D

-al

Ryan
10-15-2010, 05:25 AM
No room at the moment! I am still trying to get rid of 20 2.5" F1 notatus severums, 12 F0 Laetacara dorsigera, and about 25 F1 Laetacara dorsigera. Not to mention I am growing out a small group of rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa), the geos, and I now own three young pikes (Crenicichla johanna).

If anyone needs notatus severums or some cool dwarf cichlids (L. dorsigera) just drop me a line! Or maybe I can ship them all to Al and he can offer you cichlid variety packs -- a few sevs, a few geos, a few dorsigera. They'll all play nicely together. :D

brewmaster15
10-15-2010, 05:29 AM
LOL! I will say that the Laetacara dorsigera are great little fish, the ones I got from you are doing very and growing quickly.....anyone look for something about the size of a bolivian ram, with a similar temperment give them a shot...You don't find them at LFS, and they tend to be one of the harder to find small SA cichlids.

-al

richgrenfell
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Al,

Are any of these fry going to be available in the coming weeks? I am very interested. I'd also be interested in some dorsigera if you decided to get some from Ryan. Would also like to come have a look at your angels at some point.

brewmaster15
10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Al,

Are any of these fry going to be available in the coming weeks? I am very interested. I'd also be interested in some dorsigera if you decided to get some from Ryan. Would also like to come have a look at your angels at some point.

Rich those tapajos are available any time...I'm sure I'll have some when you are moved in....if not the two pair are spawning machines.:)

-al

brewmaster15
11-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Derek,
Heres the update you asked me for on the Red Head Tapajo fry...

These fish are amazing and fast becoming one of my favorites.

Being hand fed my homemade surf and turf mix.

-al

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63071&d=1290357856

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63070&d=1290357840

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63069&d=1290357830

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63068&d=1290357819

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63067&d=1290357811

Discus-n00b
11-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Those look great Al, I love how you can already see the red tinge to their fins.

brewmaster15
11-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks Matt!
They really are great little fish and very photogenic! Of course it helps that they'll eat anything out of my hand!

-al

patrick richard
11-21-2010, 08:32 PM
WOW Al, those are gorgeous. They are even more amazing in person. Good luck with these new fish.

Patrick

brewmaster15
11-22-2010, 08:46 PM
WOW Al, those are gorgeous. They are even more amazing in person. Good luck with these new fish.

Patrick
Hey Bud,
Got yours here when you are ready!:)

-al

patrick richard
11-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Buddy,

My only problem is that I need more tanks and maybe the other half of the garage. I'll give you a call after Thanksgiving for a little visit.

Patrick

brewmaster15
11-23-2010, 08:52 AM
HI all,
I've been asked by many on the suitability of these fish with Discus...Heres my experiences and observations...take them or leave them. :)

I've had them with adult wild greens with no issues in both bare tanks and sand substrate..I have them currently as adults with wild angels, no problem there. I have them in a planted tank with dwarf cichlids and bloodfin tetras and no issues there...The tank is not sand...its clay/laterite....which is light enough for them to move a little but not enough to uproot...I have also been co-raising a group of fry with angels and no issues.

Generally I think they'll be fine with discus..though I would only stock them with older discus...not juvies..These Geos are eating machines and I think may out compete young discus.

Ideal tank size would be 55 gal and up....preferences here.. group of 4-6 adults in 75g or greater tank...sand substrate is not necessary...but makes for a much more natural tank for them.

hth,
al

Second Hand Pat
11-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I just bought 7 of these guys from Al and they are great. They have fully recovered from shipping, are all over the tank, picking at the bottom and had their first meal. I expect to have lots of fun with them. Way more interesting to watch then the tetras. Thanks Al. Love these fish. I tried to take some pictures but this Olympus just can not focus under low light conditions.

Ryan
11-23-2010, 11:00 PM
This species of Geo tends to be fairly peaceful. They will quarrel and chase each other, especially when they hit breeding age, but that goes for almost all South American cichlids. They tend to ignore other species of fish.

My suggestion is to put them in a tank with sand so that they can exhibit their natural sifting behavior. I have raised my various Geos out in bare bottom tanks but moved them to sand tanks as they got older. They seem to really love it. If you need a fish to turn over your aquarium sand and eat leftover food, they forage and sift all day. Gravel, especially small, sharp pieces, is not recommended because it could hurt their gills when sifting.

I've seen some males get to 7 - 8" so please size the tank adequately.

YSS
11-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I have 6 full grown (I hope) altiferons in my tank with discus. Granted I have a big tank, but the geos tend to leave other fish alone including discus, cardinals, and rummies. They do go at it each other pretty good from time to time, though. I've seen times when my discus would pick at the geos and chase them away and vice versa. But nothing serious at all. Love the geos. May be when I finally give up on discus, I would buy these guys from Al and make mine a geo tank. Very nice fish, by the way, Al. May be I should get a few before they are all gone.

By the way, Ryan is right. They do dig around quite a bit. After I got the geos, I don't have to vacuum my sand/gravel substrate anymore. They turn the bottom around pretty good. They rescape my tank everyday.

richgrenfell
11-24-2010, 06:10 PM
I picked up a dozen a few weeks ago. Gotta say they are incredible little guys, most have doubled in size and they eat anything! In a BB 40 long, 3 feedings per day, and 50% 3 times per week. Thanks Al!

Rich

brewmaster15
11-28-2010, 11:23 AM
I picked up a dozen a few weeks ago. Gotta say they are incredible little guys, most have doubled in size and they eat anything! In a BB 40 long, 3 feedings per day, and 50% 3 times per week. Thanks Al!

Rich

Thanks Rich! Glad they are doing well for ya! :)

-al

sonnys503
12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Very nice, if you have anyone ordering from Portland,Oregon PM me. I am interested in a few. Your Fries look very healthy.
Do you recall how old your OHT were when they bred, just curious, and how old are they now?

brewmaster15
12-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Very nice, if you have anyone ordering from Portland,Oregon PM me. I am interested in a few. Your Fries look very healthy.
Do you recall how old your OHT were when they bred, just curious, and how old are they now?

Thank you! :)

They were about 9-10 months old when they bred...and now are somewhere around a year.

hth,
al

Condor
01-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Al! Do you have any updated picture of the parents and fry?

Adrian

brewmaster15
01-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi Adrian,
I don't have any current shots on hand, but I can take some shots latter today and post them..

thanks,
al

Condor
01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Great, Thanks Al.

Adrian

brewmaster15
01-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Here you go Adrian,
Currently the adults are housed in a 75 Gallon with a pair of Altifrons and a couple of pairs of festivums. They still breed like crazy, but don't stand a chance of raising fry in this tank...which is good as I still have more fry than I'll ever need!

Heres some pics of the adult tank...

-al6421264213642146421564216

brewmaster15
01-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Some more....

-al

brewmaster15
01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Heres the Tapajo fry...

-al

brewmaster15
01-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Last pic... This is the fry again...but if you look close you'll see one already has adult colors starting in a serious way..Kind of funny seeing it in the group...I'm hoping that ones colors continue to develop. It could be something special.

thanks,
al

Condor
01-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow Al those look great!!!

Adrian

Second Hand Pat
01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Hey Al, they look great. A couple of mine are starting to develop a bit of orange on the foreheads and a bit of red in the tail. I really like these guys and man, they are all over the place. Silly things eat out of your hand.

saltydog
03-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Al in your first set of pics (post #39) the last one with the geo on the right hand side with the yellow green sheen, what type of geo is that? That is not a red head is it?
Very nice!

brewmaster15
03-07-2011, 11:30 AM
HI Cammie,
Thats an altifrons....I have a pair of them in that tank with the tapajos

hth,
al

saltydog
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks Al, i like both but that one really caught my eye! I will have to do some research on them. If i am not mistaken i think they get bigger though right? I have been really contemplating adding a few to my display but then you got the whole plant thing and them digging up the substrate ;). But i keep looking back at your pics and they are really nice...all of them! I may just have to set up another tank....LOL

Ryan
03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Altifrons and abalios (they're very similar in appearance and often get confused) both get considerably larger than orangeheads. Geos do best in groups like discus so you'd probably want a 75 - 90 gallon tank for a small group. I have some G. dicrozoster in my 150 with severums and Krobia and it's already looking busy. They're only 3 - 4" and have a considerable amount of growing to do!

TheOscarGuy
04-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Got 6 tapajos from Al yesterday. Al was nice enough to get the fish for me at a nearby meeting he was attending. I was expecting much smaller fish, these guys are quite big. Some appear to be getting close to breeding.

It was practically a steal for me. Thanks Al. Need to visit your fishroom next :)

Condor
04-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Now you have to post some pictures!:D

Adrian

brewmaster15
04-24-2011, 06:21 PM
They look great Adrian, looks like they really have settled in well for you! Keep up the great work..looking forward to when they pair for you!

-al

Condor
04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks Al, looking forward to that too.

Adrian

laborelch
07-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Al,
any more fry ready for sale anytime soon?

brewmaster15
07-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi Al,
any more fry ready for sale anytime soon?

Hi Steffi,

They breed like crazy, but I haven't raised anymore out.. They are over whelming here when they breed. I do have about 8 young adults from this group availible if interested...drop me a pm.

-al

richgrenfell
09-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Just thought I'd update......mine have started spawning!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/sabbath_2007/for%20sale%20stuff/geo1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/sabbath_2007/for%20sale%20stuff/geo3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/sabbath_2007/for%20sale%20stuff/geo2.jpg

richgrenfell
09-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Just thought I'd update......mine have started spawning!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/sabbath_2007/for%20sale%20stuff/geo1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/sabbath_2007/for%20sale%20stuff/geo3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/sabbath_2007/for%20sale%20stuff/geo2.jpg

brewmaster15
09-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Beautiful Pics Rich! Looks like anyone wanting to get some of this line of tapajoes will soon have a source...Talk to Rich if you want some. :)

-al

Condor
09-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Wow those look great! Good job!

brewmaster15
09-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Wow those look great! Good job! Adrian, Seeing on how you have their siblings, I'm guessing yours should start to spawn soon too! :)

-al

Condor
09-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Adrian, Seeing on how you have their siblings, I'm guessing yours should start to spawn soon too! :)

-al

Yes that will be neat. Right now they are sewing their oats.:)

Adrian