PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

RudeDogg1
08-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Im in the very early stages of planing a planted discus tank. Just wandered if it would work if i had a layer of eco complete for the plants then a substrate seperator then a layer of sand for the discus. Would this work? Will the plants still b able to get to the goodness?

exv152
08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
What do you mean by "substrate separator"?

Owl
08-16-2010, 11:41 AM
RudeDogg1,

Why are you asking this question when you have already asked it in the BIDKA forum, and got answers ?

RudeDogg1
08-16-2010, 01:08 PM
i asked em both at the same time on both incase i didnt get an answer smart arse :p.

RudeDogg1
08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
What do you mean by "substrate separator"?

also called a gravel tidy just keeps each layer seperate. used them years ago when i had under gravel filters with cichlids

exv152
08-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Im in the very early stages of planing a planted discus tank. Just wandered if it would work if i had a layer of eco complete for the plants then a substrate seperator then a layer of sand for the discus. Would this work? Will the plants still b able to get to the goodness?

No, the separator will hinder the root development of the plants, and I wouldn't use an undergravel filter either, plants do not do well with this type of filtration. Your best bet for a planted tank is something rich in nutrients like eco complete. Certain plants like amazons and cryps need to spread their roots in 3-4 inches of nutrient-rich substrate.

zamboniMan
08-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Or you can do your own layered substrate with a sand or gravel and some organic miracle grow ;). Works wonders and you can do any size tank for a fraction of the price. Plus when you tear down the tank you can just throw it out and start fresh which is nice.

RudeDogg1
08-16-2010, 03:45 PM
No, the separator will hinder the root development of the plants, and I wouldn't use an undergravel filter either, plants do not do well with this type of filtration. Your best bet for a planted tank is something rich in nutrients like eco complete. Certain plants like amazons and cryps need to spread their roots in 3-4 inches of nutrient-rich substrate.

wasnt going to use an undergravel i just said i used one years ago (when they were the in thing lol). do u think eco complete on its own will be ok for discus? (thats what i was going to do originaly) then i thought sand ontop of it could be cool so many choices lol

exv152
08-16-2010, 11:20 PM
...do u think eco complete on its own will be ok for discus? (thats what i was going to do originaly) then i thought sand ontop of it could be cool so many choices lol

Eco complete is fine. I've personally used both in my tanks, sand in areas where I don't want plants growing (up front), and plant substrate at the back where the plants grow.