PDA

View Full Version : Painting Back Wall of Tank

Ad7
08-25-2010, 01:14 AM
What is a good colour to paint the back wall of a Discus tank? Do certain colours make them feel safe or stressed, etc?

Thanks, Ad

Eddie
08-25-2010, 02:27 AM
What is a good colour to paint the back wall of a Discus tank? Do certain colours make them feel safe or stressed, etc?

Thanks, Ad

Depends on the type of fish you have. Light colors are good but albinos look good with a dark background. If you have pigeon blood type, don't paint it a dark color.

Ad7
08-25-2010, 02:46 AM
I was hoping to get about 6 to 8 discus, all different types! Would that work?
I like the red turq, malbro red, checkerboard pigeon, snake skin, blue diamond. I was hoping to get a mix.

Thanks for your reply Eddie.

Ad

Eddie
08-25-2010, 02:52 AM
I was hoping to get about 6 to 8 discus, all different types! Would that work?
I like the red turq, malbro red, checkerboard pigeon, snake skin, blue diamond. I was hoping to get a mix.

Thanks for your reply Eddie.

Ad

With a mix, with those types, I would go with any light pastel color. Mainly a personal preference but I like a super soft or light lavender, pink or white. Baby blue is nice but can wash out the Blue Diamonds color. The light lavender would be my choice with the group listed above. ;)

Ad7
08-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Thank you very much for your advice.

Ad

Jennie
08-25-2010, 06:00 AM
I did sage green on mine and mostly have reds in my discus. It looks really good. You can check out some pictures in biotope section or photo section.

ockyra215
08-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I paint all my tanks a slightly darker blue but I dont have any albinos.I dont use super bright lights either but thats my personal preferance.JMO:D

diveshooter
08-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm trying a different approach for a background. Bought a plastic light diffuser panel from the hardware store, an opague frosted ice texture. They come in 2foot x 4 foot panels and can be cut to size. This can be painted with latex paint and can be easily removed and repainted a different color, although I haven't painted mine yet. It really lightened up my tank after using one of those "scenic"
stick on backgrounds.

Willie
08-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Discus live naturally in turbid, rushing waters and hang around the muddy bottom. They're not going to be calm or stressed by colors.

In fact, this comes down to what people like. Light colors are better particularly with pigeon blood derivatives because the speckling tends to lesson. Dark backgrounds not only intensify the speckling, but black backgrounds make it difficult to photograph your fish.

I wrap all my tanks with white kraft paper because it lightens the color. Blue diamonds and red golden diamonds look pastel with a white background. At the end of the day, this is about the hobbyist, not the hobby. The light panel idea sounds really interesting if all my tanks were not set up against walls.

Willie