PDA

View Full Version : Salvina Swiss cheese?

brewmaster15
08-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi all,
Picked up some Salvina a few weeks ago, and have it set up in a small tank , just growing it and QT. This culture was going great, lots of new growth. Then a few days ago I noticed several pockets where the leaves had been turned to swiss cheese:mad::mad::mad:.. I didn't see any obvious culprits when I looked so I dug out the dissecting scope...Culprit found...Seems I was growing a good colony of mites as well.:mad::mad:

Small brown Mites.....so heres my question.. Anyone else ever treat for these ...and with what.. I could try something like formalin/malachite green.. or go with an insecticide type med like clout or dylox..but I really would rather not lose this plant to the med ..I had wanted to use in some of my tanks!:(

Suggestions?

-al

zamboniMan
08-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Where did you get it? Maybe message them and ask? i think the insecticide thing would be the way to go maybe spot treating as u see them. it will take longer but you're probably less likely to lose the plant that way.

HTH

Josh

pcsb23
08-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Wonder if what you have is the salvina weevil? Check the stems for white pupa.

Have a look here too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrtobagous_salviniae

As for treament, copper may be an option as well.

brewmaster15
08-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Paul,
I took a look at that link...definetly not a weevil on these here...wish I could get a photo thru my scope.....but what I have here is tiny, and definetly mites in appearance, with shiny brown bodies.

Looks like I may just have to try a few things here and see what works....I see some culture dishes and samples set up here in the near future and a small battery of tests.:)
thanks,
-al

runner
08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Hi Al
What about trying the various products they sell in lfs for disinfecting plants. Also, what about the old standby- salt
Jay

pcsb23
08-27-2010, 09:33 AM
ok, well mites are still insects so they will be susceptible to most methods of insect control. If they are water borne then copper sulphate would stand a good chance of sorting, alum could be another. As for runner's suggestion of salt, it may work on the mites but would likely harm the plants.

Not tried dylox so can't comment on that, but in theory it should work.

Another option would be to identify the "mite" and then find a natural predator, and this may be much more fun!! :D

h2osanity
09-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I have simply removed the affected plants, emersed them in a sink of warm water with non lemon dish soap to kill the mites, rinsed them very, very well. You will also have to do a complete WC on the QT and wipe the sides down with something like vinegar, making sure to get under and between all the trim (if there is trim at the top ;) )