PDA

View Full Version : Heckel spawning?

gimaal
08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Regarding this new youtube clip, the male appears to be a Heckel but isn't the female a S. haraldi with prominent 5th bar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeOIU2F1ID0

Eddie
08-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Definitely not Heckel to Heckel. Should be a nice combination though.

Apistomaster
08-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Getting female Heckels into spawning condition in captivity is the obstacle to breeding Heckels. Males frequently breed with wild female S. haraldi or female S. "domesticus" rather regularly.
Figure out why female Heckels are so difficult to get into spawning condition in captivity and breeding them would become less of a rare event.

The same thing is true of Altum Angelfish.
Male Altums crossbreed with wild other female species of Pterophyllum but captive spawns of Altum X Altums occur at least as rarely as Heckel X Heckel in captivity.

What is so odd in the case of wild Heckel X haraldi hybrids is that they are not very rare in some parts of where their ranges overlap but Altums are geographically isolated from all the other Pterophyllum species. Therefore there are no natural Altum X any other Pterophyllum species hybrids in nature.

hekdiscus
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Hello friends.

These fish were mine, Mr Heekon choi of south Korea is my customer and it distributes my fish for the korea market.

The couple is a Heckel from Nhamunda natural Hybrid and the other is an Alenquer Mata Limpa with big center bar same Ica type.

Hudson:)

Discus-n00b
09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Very nice fish, and always good to see this!

I love those tanks, makes the fish look like they are in the crazy house with padded walls LOL!