PDA

View Full Version : anubia rhizome advice

Jennie
08-28-2010, 07:47 AM
I bought 15 anubia rhizomes which haven't arrived yet, so I'm doubtful they have leaves. I was reading that they can grow emersed faster than submerged. My question is can I stick them in a shallow container in indirect light without filteration? And what time frame can I expect for multiple leaf growth in terms of weeks verses months for submerged? Also do I need to buy some kind of fert to encourage faster growth? Help a plant dummy today!

pcsb23
08-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Not sure you will see a significant growth improvement with anubias grown emersed. However it can be done :) Use something like sand (or even sterile potting soil) in a container, make sure not to cover the rhizome other wise it will rot. The substrate should be wet. Place a clear cover over the pot so the humidity is very high.

I have achieved fast (for anubias) growth in the aquarium by using good light and highish CO2 or a carbon substitute like excell or easy carbo. Normal levels of ferts though. This is usually the by product of me focussing on other plants needs ...

I gues what I'm saying is you will likely have as much success growing them immersed as emersed. Hope haven't confused you :o

Jennie
08-31-2010, 06:13 AM
you have not confused me. I was wanting to try the emersed method because my tank is low light. I thought natural light from a window would at least produce a few leaves quicker.

pcsb23
08-31-2010, 07:44 AM
you have not confused me. I was wanting to try the emersed method because my tank is low light. I thought natural light from a window would at least produce a few leaves quicker.Glad I didn't confuse you, nearly confused myself :o

Emersed or immersed they are very slow growers, light intensity does not seem to be the limiting factor ime, carbon does though. Growing them emersed should make sure they have adequate carbon so may be worth a shot.

Jennie
08-31-2010, 07:48 AM
thanks for the info! I was beginning to think no one had done it.:)

pcsb23
08-31-2010, 08:05 AM
Over the years (40+) I've tried many things with plants, most of which was less than successful, but it used to be the only way to learn. Now we have the web and many good books, life is easier (though a bit less fun :))