PDA

View Full Version : almond leaves

uberdave
09-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi, question about almond leaves and fin rot. By adding almond leaves, does it cure fin rot with daily water changes? My LFS said it works and he don't believe in medicine. I added, it seem to help and they all recovered from fin rot. However, the problem now is planaria worms due to the almond leaves. Is there a way to add the leaves without triggering planaria worms? I tried to boiled them before but the decay of the leaves in the tank is just a infestation pit for planaria worms.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi, question about almond leaves and fin rot. By adding almond leaves, does it cure fin rot with daily water changes? My LFS said it works and he don't believe in medicine. I added, it seem to help and they all recovered from fin rot. However, the problem now is planaria worms due to the almond leaves. Is there a way to add the leaves without triggering planaria worms? I tried to boiled them before but the decay of the leaves in the tank is just a infestation pit for planaria worms.

I've never experienced planaria outbreaks due to the addition of IAL. The tank does tend to collect alot slime so this might be a nice bed for planaria to thrive. I normally do some good cleaning/wiping down of the tank and everything inside after I remove the leaves. I stopped using them constantly due to the excess build up in the tank.

Eddie

uberdave
09-07-2010, 09:37 AM
This is not the first time I got those worms due to adding those leaves. I have canisters for filter, could that be the problem with build out waste? But the whole filter has only been running for a few months.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 07:55 PM
This is not the first time I got those worms due to adding those leaves. I have canisters for filter, could that be the problem with build out waste? But the whole filter has only been running for a few months.

I'd say check the filter, I definitely don't think its the leaves. Do you use a prefilter on the inlet of your canister?

jimg
09-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I agree with Eddie. I've been using theses leaves as an experiment for a few months now to a point where my water looks like dark tea and I have no slime at all.

mathao
09-07-2010, 08:28 PM
you could soak them in a mason jar and just pour out the liquid after 1 or two weeks. it works just the same without the rotting leaves in your tank. I do that for my wild betta's that i keep in a 30g and i have no problems and no pile of dirt after it rots down.

jimg
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Good idea! I will try that, I keep them in a nylon bag in the sump but it is hard to control the amount of tannins

Eddie
09-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah I used them alot before but I've since switched to Kent Blackwater Expert. I have always been against using these type of water treatments as it is a waste of money but I tried ALL the different types and Kent is the ALL TIME best. You barely have to add ANY and the tank is perfect. Its super concentrated like non of the other brands. All the other brands require so much more to get the desired affect. I use Kent Blackwater Expert with my wild crosses and they LOVE it.

uberdave
09-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I'd say check the filter, I definitely don't think its the leaves. Do you use a prefilter on the inlet of your canister?

I don't have a prefilter on the inlet, should I have something like that?

jimg
09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
absolutely

Eddie
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
absolutely

Ditto!

A prefilter will catch all the food debris. Without a prefilter, large chunks/amounts of food will collect in the filter. This is a planaria playground and they are LOVING it.

Eddie

uberdave
09-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I think that is the main reason, I never wash the sponge filter! New lesson learned today, thanks for all your help.

Eddie
09-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I think that is the main reason, I never wash the sponge filter! New lesson learned today, thanks for all your help.

Yeah, its always a good idea to rinse the sponges out, especially when feeding messy foods or if foods get into the filter. You can extend the rinse times by adding a prefilter onto your inlet.

Eddie