PDA

View Full Version : Filstar XP3 Replacement Tubing

joanr
09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi folks,

Got my 75gal this past weekend and moved the XP3 canister. Had to prime it again and of course out came all the hose gunk, forgot the stocking over the spraybar trick. Need to replace the hose and was wondering what everyone is buying. The OEM hose is 5/8" ID x 3/4" OD Silicone semi-clear tubing. The Mfr. replacement pack is like 25.00 bucks + shiping for just 10'. Wow, that's too much money. I've been searching but can only find the stiffer Watts tubing with those same size specs at Lowes. I could clean the hose but it's been cut for an inline heater and hubby says it would not be easy getting it off the barbs without cutting the ends off. Anyone find this type of hose for cheap? Also the Lee's hose is 5/8" ID but not the right OD.

diveshooter
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Don't know about replacing the tubing, but I was able to clean my XP3 tubing using a length of speaker wire and some strips of clean cotton rag (old t-shirt). You can use stiff twine or whatever is available. Cut the wire a foot or 2 longer than the longest piece of tubing. Tie or hook a piece of rag to one end, wet it and snake the opposite end through the tubing. Then, just pull the line through. You may have to repeat a few times depending how dirty the tubing is.
Don't use anything abrasive as the resulting scratches will allow algae to get a foothold. I also wrap my tubing in foam pipe insulating to prevent outside light from adding to algae growth.
Hope this helps.

joanr
09-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the cleaning tips, I'm going to try flushing them out. I guess if I had to I could just nip the bottom where the connections are to get the hose off the barbs and then trim that area. I also have a heat gun if needed. My husband put these hoses on to stay that's for sure. I did order a new set direct from RenaPlanet just in case....couldn't find any replacement tubing I liked at the hardware stores. American Aquarium has some Lee's 5/8" that they sell real cheap for the XP's but it's hard to see the hose quality from online pics. I'd hate for the tubing to kink while I'm at work, that would be a disaster.

joanr
09-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Cleaned the hoses, actually I steam cleaned them with my portable steamer. Got like a half pound of yellowish gunk out of them and it was much easier than I thought it would be. The hose came off easily with a little upwards pressure and some hot water first, and the gunk came out with just steaming and then flushing with hot water. Didn't even need to use a brush. This was first time for me with the canister hoses and I won't be so stressed next time. So everyone with a new canister that needs hose cleaning, if I can do it, so can you!

diveshooter
09-15-2010, 08:51 PM
I like that steam cleaner idea. Thats really thinking outside the box!

joanr
09-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Handiest gadget in my house besides my better half. I use it to disenfect all the plastic parts of the canister, the storage barrel when it gets slimey and etc. No chemicals needed. Now if I just had the energy to clean the house with it....lol.

David Rose
09-15-2010, 09:20 PM
I usually just snake mine. IMO, the inside diameter is the only thing you need to know when you go to Home Depot, Lowes, or ACE Hardware to buy plain vinyl tubing.

joanr
09-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi David, I bought that clear vinyl 5/8 x 3/4" x 10' tubing from Home Depot. I think it sucks. Reason being it comes coiled tightly and about a foot or more of it is useless when you unwind it from the coil. All bent/kinked up. It does not have that layering of silicone material that the more expensive hose has and it seems to me it might collapse after awhile. I'm taking it back to the store. In this case it's just too cheap...and I'm a real tightwad. I had to be careful with the OD since I've got it connected to the Hydor external heater which only takes a specific OD for it's screw down connector cap thingies.

seanyuki
09-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Just sharing....is it for connecting the tubing with the UV light......Lees Aquarium Vinyl Tubing claims NOT easily "kinked" hardware store low quality thin walled tubing.

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumPumpTubing.html

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/TubingInstallation.html

joanr
09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Yep, found the site the other night while searching for suitable replacement tubing. It would be worth it to just buy 10' of the Lee's to see what it's like since it's only about 4 bucks for 10' plus shipping. I have some Lee's tubing on a siphon hose I bought a few years back and it's pretty nice tubing.