PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress..

morillonj
09-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Hey everyone! this is my 65 gallon tank. It still has ALOT of work but the swords are growing quick. No co2, just dosing seachem flourish and iron once a week with root tabs. got a little algae growing on the glass. i gotta scrape it off. i dont really like how the 5000k looks(to yellow) so im going to try 6500k. Not the best looking tank but its coming along good but slow. im not going to rush it. i need the plants to settle in first before the discus. just wanted to share my progress with everyone. thanks.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss6/kgmorillon/2010-09-15200544.jpg

Discus master
09-24-2010, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=morillonj;681288]Hey everyone! this is my 65 gallon tank. It still has ALOT of work but the swords are growing quick. No co2, just dosing seachem flourish and iron once a week with root tabs. got a little algae growing on the glass. i gotta scrape it off. i dont really like how the 5000k looks(to yellow) so im going to try 6500k. Not the best looking tank but its coming along good but slow. im not going to rush it. i need the plants to settle in first before the discus. just wanted to share my progress with everyone. thanks.

Looking nice this is kind of the look I am going for, your tank looks so much larger than mine, I mean it is I have a 55 but for only being an extra 10 gallons it looks really large compared to the 55 galon I have. I wonder why this is is yours a regular 65? like regular dimensions or is this a 65 high boy?

morillonj
09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
hey discus master, well the swords are alot fuller since this. ill post a pic up later on tonight if i can. i took the java ferns out and plan on putting anubias plants. its a high 65 gallon. its 36x24x19. i like it. i just been stalling on putting discus in it. hopefully i can get a ro unit first before discus.

Discus master
09-28-2010, 10:43 AM
hey discus master, well the swords are alot fuller since this. ill post a pic up later on tonight if i can. i took the java ferns out and plan on putting anubias plants. its a high 65 gallon. its 36x24x19. i like it. i just been stalling on putting discus in it. hopefully i can get a ro unit first before discus.

Ok I got you, looks nice really nice. My wife is letting me up grade to between a 100 - 150 gallon, I am probably going with a 110 however just because I like the foot print of that tank same as a 55 in terms of the 48" length but 6 inches deeper or wider however you want to look at it but I think the 110 is farily a deep tank. The only thing well there a few concerns questions I have but I am not artist at all, I know I want my monapi wood I bought and I am buying more, with some Java fern I have a few already maybe Java Moss if I can get it to grow this time, I don;t know if the alge choked it out or not enough light or if 85f is to high temp for java moss but it died on me and pool filter sand, so the wood, sand, java fern, and moss if I can get it to live is all I want in the tank so its going to e simple but on the lay out I am so confused on. If I did any other plants I would want the plants to be able to be tied to the drift wood pices I am not planting anything in the substrate. So I need some inspiration for lay out for sure. How many discus would you put into a 110 thats decorated lightly?? I have 7 juvis in my 55 now so I am going to need to up grade here shortly. I amthinking of just leaving it at the 7 maybe buying one more adult when I get the 110 for a total of 8 discus????? so many ????

morillonj
09-29-2010, 10:35 PM
sweet! 110 is a pretty big tank!! whats your filtration gonna look like in the 110?? to keep it safe just have 8 discus, that way they have lots of room and cleaning will be easier. in my opinion java ferns do horrible where there are high levels of light. i had them and they just burnt up and turned black. hows your level of light?? i dont like java ferns. i never tried anubias, all i know is they can tolerate the high level of light. id say attach anubias to your monapi wood with fishing lure line. hopefully i can upload a pic of the new way my tank is setup. it looks way lot better. and with sand, it doesnt have any nutrients whatsoever so you need to get root tabs to put in the sand for plants that take nutrients from there roots like echinodorus. id say go with an inch or inch and half for your sand bed.

Discus master
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
sweet! 110 is a pretty big tank!! whats your filtration gonna look like in the 110?? to keep it safe just have 8 discus, that way they have lots of room and cleaning will be easier. in my opinion java ferns do horrible where there are high levels of light. i had them and they just burnt up and turned black. hows your level of light?? i dont like java ferns. i never tried anubias, all i know is they can tolerate the high level of light. id say attach anubias to your monapi wood with fishing lure line. hopefully i can upload a pic of the new way my tank is setup. it looks way lot better. and with sand, it doesnt have any nutrients whatsoever so you need to get root tabs to put in the sand for plants that take nutrients from there roots like echinodorus. id say go with an inch or inch and half for your sand bed.

Thanks for the advice, I just wanted plants that i could tie to the driftwood I got plenty of that Mopani now, I bought more over the weeke nd. I have it stacked up on the left side like a tree trunk and the same on the right side just a little smaller like one big tangled root sort of. The center of the tank is more a less open with one low profile log where my Java fern is tied to. I did not want to get inot the planted in the substrate plants so much, ones I can attach to the wood would be fine. I do not want to have Co2 and fertz once in a while would be ok. The light I think my wife is buying me next week for my birthday hopefully will work fine for the 110 as well. It is a 48inch dual Curent Nova Extreme T5HO dual bulbs for a total of 108 watts mt T5NO dual fixture can be added to that if need be on the 110 for a total of around 156 watts. I hope the new light will be more than good for the 55 and fine for the 110 I know it on the light side for the watts per gallon rule but as pointed ut before the rule does not really apply to T5'2 especially the HO ones. So having said all of that what do you think? My Java ferns will probably burn up in the 55?? what about the 110 and what plants do you think would work with what I have and what my requirments/restrictions are???? please any advice would help and thanks for the advice so far keep it comming.

morillonj
10-05-2010, 03:36 PM
the java ferns in that 55 gallon IMO will most likely burn up with that nova light fixture, but as for your 110(if your using the same plants) it should be fine as long as your plants dont require 2 watts or more. java ferns and anubias dont require it though, so 1 watt is plenty. sounds like you got everything going good though. heres a pic of my updated tank.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss6/kgmorillon/2010-10-05141707.jpg