PDA

View Full Version : moss not growing...

flyer1988
09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
ok guys I setup some moss on my mopani wood with some fishing line. Its been already about 12-15 days and no signs of it growing, I understand I should give it some more time perhaps, but this is whats going on. I notice that the moss is showing brownish coloration not too much but minor, which make me predict that the moss will one day die or something. Do i need co2? do I have to much light?

My lighting is a coralife 30inch dual lamp lighting. total of 61 watts for a 37gallon tall tank.

1 of the lights is the 10,000k to simulate day time lighting and a coralife color max which is suppose to bring in the natural colors... In addition I leave the light on for 7hrs-8hrs top daily, all my other plants seem to be growing beautifully my anubias is sprouting once or twice leaves per week. But I just cant get the moss to grow I want it to eventually cover my wood....

Sharkbait
09-16-2010, 12:09 AM
10,000k doesn't do anything for growth...normally. And you can never have too much light ;) I would increase the photo period. Do you dose ferts?

What type of moss is it? Java moss can grow in anything. And anubias is pretty low maintenance as well.

flyer1988
09-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Well im adding some aqueon plant food, which I got for free with a aqueon planted tank setup which to be honest Im just using for the first time. Im dosing at least once a week after water change. As for the type of moss im not too sure which one it is, I will post a picture tomorrow of it, see if maybe you can identify it (would greatly appreciate it). thank you.

by the way would you suggest for me to get the 6,700k day light instead? I am asking this because I think I saw this light on sale at petco when I purchased my light. There was a clearance going on. If my plants will greatly benifit from it, I would buy it without a dout. let me know. thanks mate.

igor.Kanshyn
09-23-2010, 12:31 AM
10,000k doesn't do anything for growth...normally. And you can never have too much light ;)

This is not true. 10,000k works perfect for plants as long as 5000k and 12000k.
The only light you don't need for freshwater plants is actinic.

And about 'you can never have too much light', it's not completely true also.
Excessive light without proper selection of plants, fertilization and CO2 injection will grow algae in your tank. And it can be not just nice green hair algae (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:hCMG25mtqo6w2M:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/james3200/hairalgae2.jpg&t=1), it can be black beard/brush algae (http://www.emergingintuitions.com/Wordpress%20blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/img_2460-300x225.jpg), which makes people redo their tanks.

But don't be scared, you don't have a hight light now and algae is not appearing instantly :)

Regarding moss, it should grow in your tank. It doesn't need a lot of light nor fertilization. It should grow.
Sometimes moss look green, but it's already dead. In this case it will turn yellowish and then brownish. What is a source of your moss?
And it would be good to find out what kind of moss it is. Look at this site: http://www.aquamoss.net/

I would increase the photo period. Do you dose ferts?

It's a good advice, but watch for an algae growing on tank sides.

flyer1988
09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi, and thanks for the replies.

I checked it out and if im correct the one I have is Java Moss. I actually got a little piece from HoustonAquairums with John who sold me the discus. He was kind enough to give me some moss which was growing on a display tank of his. Actually Iv notice lately the moss growing but just way to slow, seriously my anubias spout leafs every 3-4 days making me think that the moss is growing relatively slow when compared. Ill post a picture this week on my tank so that you can see more in depth what I mean. In addition I kinda figured that the more light the more algae specially since im without co2.

Sharkbait
09-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Of course more light = more algae. Growing plants (and not algae) is about balancing C02, ferts and light. Light is what creates photosynthesis which is why you can never have too much of it (again, as long as you're balanced). But for java moss, you don't really need much.

Post pictures so we can have a better idea of what's going on.

And 10000k lights are 'fine'..but from my experience, they work better when plants are already established. Growing plants need more red spectrum which will be in the more 5000k range. I like the look of 10000ks, so I always have one on amongst my other plant bulbs.