PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel tank project

DiscusFreakaZoid
09-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Just sharing My friends custom tank. Gave the idea to a custom tank builder and "voila" a Tunnel tank.

lpiasente
09-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I have seen one of these before in the shape of the sydney habour bridge it looked amazing. Looking forward to seeing it full

Altum Nut
09-17-2010, 11:08 PM
That's kind of neat.
I foresee a new strain of discus in the future...possibly a Hamster x Heckel.
Anyway...keep us posted when it's all set-up with fish.

...Ralph

Jennie
09-17-2010, 11:13 PM
It's unusual and interesting but how will proper filteration flow work? A filter for each end??

vera
09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
my concern would b the sligtest disbalance that could break or crack the middle tube, is it for discus ?

Yboat
09-18-2010, 01:15 AM
my concern would b the sligtest disbalance that could break or crack the middle tube, is it for discus ?

if you had a solid bottum, its np.

DiscusFreakaZoid
09-18-2010, 09:14 AM
ITs for discus of course :D think seeing the discus swimming the tunnel would be neat and might help with aggression. He plans to have one side plants with logs and white sand and have the other side with rocks and black sand to see if the discus colors would change. ITs a very light tank since its made of acrylic so the structure is pretty solid and shouldnt have any problems cracking

vera
09-18-2010, 11:49 AM
ITs for discus of course :D think seeing the discus swimming the tunnel would be neat and might help with aggression. He plans to have one side plants with logs and white sand and have the other side with rocks and black sand to see if the discus colors would change. ITs a very light tank since its made of acrylic so the structure is pretty solid and shouldnt have any problems cracking

:D there is an idea , please share the progress with us
just imagine he has 1 bully in each tank enjoying themselves and the rest are in the "corridor" changing colors LOL

YSS
09-18-2010, 12:10 PM
That's kind of neat.

...Ralph

This made me chuckle. :D

One of the LFS has something like this. Good luck with it.

DiscusBR
09-18-2010, 02:54 PM
That's kind of neat.

...Ralph

I have not laughed that hard reading a posting in a long time...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

In a more serious note: the project looks very interesting, but I still think that establishing the same level in both sides of the structe and avoiding cracks in the "bridge" will be a difficult task. Please upload more pictures as the project advances and good luck.

CBZOO
09-25-2010, 05:17 AM
DiscusBR
I am not sure what "level" you are talking about...

If you are talking water chemistry parameters this "could" be solved by having the intake of the filter at one end and the outlet at the other "forcing" the water to flow from one side of the tank thru the tunnel mix and "equalize" from tank to tank (I'm thinking of a canister filter here) This would also help the tunnel area from becoming a toxic area because there is no or very little water exchange from one side of the tank to the other side.

If however you are talking about the water level in the tank being equal... well that will be accomplished by mother nature and physics (water seeks its own level)... as long as the water level is above the bottom of the tunnel the water level in both tanks WILL be the same there is nothing short of putting a waterproof barrier in the tunnel that will prevent this. Think of this tank as a single weird shaped tank. As it is filled water will flow from one tank to the other thru the tunnel equalizing the water level in both sides of the tank.

The concern I would have with this tank would be the bottom(s). Basically you have are two separate bottoms and fish poo will not very easily "flow" from one tank to the other. There "might" not be enough flow around the bottoms of the tank to avoid toxic anaerobic areas forming... Simple vacuuming of the bottom "Should" help with that and or a sponge filter in each tank should help out also.

When initially filling I think as a precaution I would fill both lower tanks to the level of the tunnel before raising the level to fill the tunnel but that is just the cautious side of me.

Cool tank I want to see this up and running good luck with this tank!
just my 2 cents worth!

DiscusFreakaZoid
09-26-2010, 09:42 PM
most recent pic

Jennie
09-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I'd like to see if the discus actually use the passage:)

aXio
09-26-2010, 11:11 PM
How big is that tunnel? Would a full grow be able to move through it comfortably?

mike mccarthy
09-27-2010, 10:32 AM
How big is that tunnel? Would a full grow be able to move through it comfortably?

yes they will its a 24" long tube and 8" tube (from top of tube to bottom)

Tito
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
If only I had kept that link that my wife sent me. There were tanks in the living room with "tunnels" linking them troughout. The tunnels actually rose above towards the ceiling and would slope down into the tank. Don't know how it works but you can see the fish traveling through! Pretty neat. And ther were a few other models as well. I forgot the name of the company but this idea is already in professional production.

Nice tank with the tunnel though.

mike mccarthy
09-28-2010, 10:58 AM
here is an update should have my discus in here soon

DiscusFreakaZoid
09-28-2010, 01:21 PM
did u get the discus that where stuck in the tube out yet.:alien:

Tito
09-28-2010, 02:27 PM
It would be really nice to get a 4 or 6 cube setup. That way fish can avoid each other if they want.

mike mccarthy
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
ok here is an update i just need some stuff for inside of it

mike mccarthy
10-01-2010, 12:51 PM
here more pics

Tito
10-01-2010, 01:58 PM
It's cool man!

Now imagine 4 cubes in the middle of the living room and 4 tunnels connecting them in the shape of a large square:D

mike mccarthy
10-01-2010, 02:06 PM
It's cool man!

Now imagine 4 cubes in the middle of the living room and 4 tunnels connecting them in the shape of a large square:D

yea that be nice since one of them loves the bubbles and chases the others to the other side of the tank he just sits there looking at the bubbles and then sits at one end of the tunnel waiting for anyone to look like they are going to come in to his side of with the bubbles

Tito
10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
yea that be nice since one of them loves the bubbles and chases the others to the other side of the tank he just sits there looking at the bubbles and then sits at one end of the tunnel waiting for anyone to look like they are going to come in to his side of with the bubbles

THE BUBBLE MASTER!

mike mccarthy
10-01-2010, 02:11 PM
THE BUBBLE MASTER!

yea thats what he is doing in that last pic he just waiting for one of them to come near

kaceyo
10-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm sure you'll come accross some interesting behaviour created by the two distinct zones and the middle ground between. The dark and light sand is a good idea. Do you have any other differences between the "zones" planned?

mike mccarthy
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm sure you'll come accross some interesting behaviour created by the two distinct zones and the middle ground between. The dark and light sand is a good idea. Do you have any other differences between the "zones" planned?

yes one side rock and the othe plants and logs but dont no yet what on what side

kaceyo
10-02-2010, 03:14 PM
yes one side rock and the othe plants and logs but dont no yet what on what side

I would lean towards putting the plants and wood on the dark side and rocks on the light. Rocks are more reflective, more natural to a light environ, while plants absorb light and shade the area they are in, in keeping with a dark environ. JMO!

mike mccarthy
10-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I would lean towards putting the plants and wood on the dark side and rocks on the light. Rocks are more reflective, more natural to a light environ, while plants absorb light and shade the area they are in, in keeping with a dark environ. JMO!

i was thinking that but the rocks i have are like a dark gray and might be good in the black sand with plants and just logs in the white sand i just waiting on a log im getting and cant find the right plants

mike mccarthy
10-04-2010, 03:03 PM
o and if anyone knows and good looking plant that will stick to a log that would be great

cfi on the fly
10-04-2010, 08:21 PM
have you been able to make any conclusions on discus behavior or color?

Danimal
10-04-2010, 08:25 PM
that is one COOL tank...

mike mccarthy
10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
have you been able to make any conclusions on discus behavior or color?

the colors in the white sand show alittle better they shine more than the black sand but it looks really goodand they keep going back an forth never on one side long

mike mccarthy
10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
that is one COOL tank...

thanks im really happy i got it:D:D:D

Teh
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
this is one wicked project :D