PDA

View Full Version : Deep Blue SolarMax HE2 Double 48" T5 Strip Light - 28w x2 + Moonlights

joanr
09-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Anyone use this strip light? It has two T5 48" bulbs + 8 blue led moonlights. It comes two ways, with 54W x2 or 28W x 2. I have a bare bottom 75gal, would I need more than the 28W x 2? Not growing plants and like a dimmer tank plus like the idea of the night lights. Comments on this fixture?

Jennie
09-19-2010, 03:24 PM
well I just checked out the light you mentioned and after having bought a different one, I would again go with the same model I purchased first time. Reason for this is I already have florescent lighting that came with my tank and the light I purchased has 2 rows of white LED and one row of blue LED in between. So I can either use the full light on feature or just the moonlight feature at night. Now what really impressed me is the color the white light throws on the tank and no florescent bulb can match it. It sets in front of the origiona light fixtures so when I'm home I use that one to enjoy instead of the ones that came with the tank. I hope this helps.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17949/si4461233/cl0/doublebrightledlightingsystem3648

joanr
09-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Been looking at that one also. Right now I have the single strip 48" Perfecto which came with the tank. I've got a Coralife ColorMax T8 in there that really pops the colors but the red fish are so red it's almost too much for the living room.

Do you like the shimmering effect of the LED and did it bother or spook your fish at first? Also I heard that the brace which expands the fixture to 48" isn't the best engineered and it sort of warps in the middle? Is that true? Either way I need more choice than just the one bulb.

Jennie
09-19-2010, 03:32 PM
here they are cheaper

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&q=marineland+led+light+fixture&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15874542905898652537&ei=G2WWTIFDifazA8no6cAK&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDkQ8wIwBA#ps-sellers

joanr
09-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the links, I find the flat rate shipping at PetMountain and their low pricing is always the best deal for me unless I have coupons for another site. I just might try the marineland fixture first. I can buy it at Petco and take it back if I don't like it. One nice thing about buying from the local store, pay more but less hassle for returns.
See above questions regarding the Marineland fixture please.

Jennie
09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
The shimmering effect is so beautiful. It does not bother my fish at all and the reds are vibrant as ever. I've had no warping on mine. Another feature I like is during tank cleaning I can unplug it from the light strip instead of the power strip and set it aside. It's super lightweight.
Been looking at that one also. Right now I have the single strip 48" Perfecto which came with the tank. I've got a Coralife ColorMax T8 in there that really pops the colors but the red fish are so red it's almost too much for the living room.

Do you like the shimmering effect of the LED and did it bother or spook your fish at first? Also I heard that the brace which expands the fixture to 48" isn't the best engineered and it sort of warps in the middle? Is that true? Either way I need more choice than just the one bulb.

Jennie
09-19-2010, 03:53 PM
when you go to the pet mountain page link I sent of led lights they have other styles I find interesting off to the right. I'm sorry pet solutions

joanr
09-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Got a full length pic of your tank with this lighting so we could see what it looks like? Isn't your tank the sage green color? The few small pics I've seen of it look very nice. I think I will try this fixture first, thanks.

Jennie
09-19-2010, 04:05 PM
no full length pic and they are in the middle of a lifebearer treatment so I can't turn lights on for 18 days. :mad:

joanr
09-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Darn flukes.....the gift that keeps on giving. The best med for the critters I have found is also the Lifebearer, got rid of 'em with two doses, 4 days apart.

Jennie
09-19-2010, 04:17 PM
that's a relief to hear! Eddie is guiding me through this though my PE is suffering the most and various things didn't work well. :(

joanr
09-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Follow whatever Eddie told you to do, he's great with the med advise. Just watch your bio after the treatment, you may need to add some Tetra SafeStart to get it kicked back in. They now sell the stuff at PetSmart finally.

Jennie
09-19-2010, 04:29 PM
REALLY. Good to know. Hopefully cheaper than private LFS. I'm VERY worried about bio.
Follow whatever Eddie told you to do, he's great with the med advise. Just watch your bio after the treatment, you may need to add some Tetra SafeStart to get it kicked back in. They now sell the stuff at PetSmart finally.

joanr
09-19-2010, 04:40 PM
SafeStart is better IMHO than the Seachem Stability. I wouldn't trust either one to fully cycle a tank but for bringing up a reduced colony of bacteria due to meds, it really does help.

peterhql
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi Joan,
May I ask, what temperature you kept your tank at during your lifebearer treatment. Also did you WC during treatment and did you treat more than the bottle's instruction? Two doses 4 days apart sounds like a dream, I would like to do exactly what you did.

joanr
10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi Joan,
May I ask, what temperature you kept your tank at during your lifebearer treatment. Also did you WC during treatment and did you treat more than the bottle's instruction? Two doses 4 days apart sounds like a dream, I would like to do exactly what you did.

Sorry, been away from SD for the last week or so and just saw this today. I did not have a heavy outbreak in the tank so I didn't need to dose that heavily or for long periods. I lowered the tank to 84 and dosed at lights out. Kept the tank dark the following day and that next evening did a like a 75% w/c and added carbon to get rid of any remaining meds. Waited until the evening of the 4th day and repeated the dose. I've seen no more flicking or clamped gills since then. I did follow the amount on the bottle exactly as far as dosage per gallon goes. The med is diminished when exposed to light so keep the tank dark.