PDA

View Full Version : how to help my discus heal?

Discus master
09-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Well basically I bought some new discus, which are in a qt tank, I bought 5 of them to add to my main tank. My wife is letting me up grade my tank by the way sonner than I thought. Well anyway the discus are doing great eating and so forth, changing water on a regular basis if any of you are familiar with me than you know I change a lot of water very often.. Well any way while they are working out their pecking order I notice that two of them have had a little fin damage to their pectorial fins. Nothing to serious but you can tell that they got a little to fisty with each other. now I know fresh clean water is the key to their recovery and over all long term health but what I was thinking of doing was adding a little aquarium salt at next water change and then keeping a low level of the salt for maybe a week in order to help them heal. Is this somthing that I should do or recomended I do? will this help them heal a little faster? I certainly do not want any secondary infections or any of them to become ill as a result of the injury so I thought the salt would help them out a little yes no??

Also after feeding them pretty well over the last 4 days, this morning Monday I decided to run a course of de worming flakes as a preventitve and precaution and as a part of my qt process. I know some are for preventitve while in qt and others do not I am not trying to get into that debate but while my fish are healthya nd eating I thought it be a good time to do the Angle Plus medicated flakes now and they had their first dose this am and bot to my suprise did they eat it up! What I ws wondering though is can I do the salt in conjunction to the 4 day deworming treatment? and is there any additional tips for me to do while their in qt? I do have some parasite guard and or generl cure I could give them after a couple of weeks but I am not to sure about doing this plus I am suppose to run a second course of the de worming flakes after 3 weeks. My main tank discus have already been thru a complete de worming treatment so I know their good to go.

Any advice will be greatly apreciated thank you all in advance for any advice you can give me.

Discus master
09-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Well any thoughts or ideas for me on this?

Jennie
09-20-2010, 03:21 PM
dm no need for salt. Just do water changes. I had same problem and fins filled back in, in a week.

Discus master
09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
dm no need for salt. Just do water changes. I had same problem and fins filled back in, in a week.

Ok cool thanks for the advice, I was just worried about the fish being in a it of weakend state due to working out their new pecking order and thought it be prudent to use salt in order to help them heal up. No problems on the water changes I am doing 85% every other day and I have no problem stepping that up to every day if thats the advice I get. I use to do that anyways, so do I stick with my current water changing schedule or step it up? I do age, airate, heat, and condition with prime my city water. So what ever I need to do I will be sure to do it, at the adive given of course. Mean while I am going to finish with the preventitive de worming in additon to whatever water change is advised, minus the salt I was thinking about adding. thanks for the adivice and look forward to you response to the latest!

Jennie
09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
nope, they are fine. It's amazing how fast the fins grow back. Mine had chunks missing and within a week all filled in:)

Jennie
09-20-2010, 03:58 PM
BTW, where are the pics:)
Ok cool thanks for the advice, I was just worried about the fish being in a it of weakend state due to working out their new pecking order and thought it be prudent to use salt in order to help them heal up. No problems on the water changes I am doing 85% every other day and I have no problem stepping that up to every day if thats the advice I get. I use to do that anyways, so do I stick with my current water changing schedule or step it up? I do age, airate, heat, and condition with prime my city water. So what ever I need to do I will be sure to do it, at the adive given of course. Mean while I am going to finish with the preventitive de worming in additon to whatever water change is advised, minus the salt I was thinking about adding. thanks for the adivice and look forward to you response to the latest!

Discus master
09-21-2010, 08:19 AM
BTW, where are the pics:)

I knew that was comming, I will post some as soon as my wife re charges the digital cam, I should have known better than to ask about new fish and the where is the pics question was soon to follow, lol. I will get some out straight away, there really pretty one is a Sunset, the other two he is calling Silverado's or something never heard of that strain before you? They are of course PB based but kind of look like the pics of Panda's I have seen heck I that they were turqs of some sort, not sure what you would call em but there is ever so slight pepering nothing you can hardley notice so thats why I bought em they are pretty I will not buy if they are heavily pepperd. The Sun Set has no pepering at all as far as I can tell ery pretty like a golden discus basically with another name? I am guessing?

I bought a little bit of a larger size so they will be close to the ones I have had you know? I would say there around the 3 - 3.5 inch mark like my others. My Red Turq has gotten huge though and my Blue diamond as well I will get pics out ASAP!! mean while what do you think??

PS OH last night I notice their fins were all but fine already swiming around just fine looking good so I guess they heal quick in good clean water hmm cool. Dirty un changed neglected water and then there prob would have been an issue a huge issue so let this be a warning and an example to the new folks good clean water goes a long long way. Went from slightly hurt up to totally fine in one day!! Thats amazing, oh and there eating their Angle 1Plus medicated flakes or whatever the web site Eddie had me order them from I forget what the place is called but even the new fish are eating the flakes just fine it werd I did not expect them to even want to touch them but a hungray young fish can not resist that garlic base I suppose;)
At least I know they will be de wormed like the ones I already have and another dose in three weeks and two more weeks of observation and I think they will be fine, they were eating great rite from the start no kidding and they ate whatever I threw at em I never had better eaters than these newer fish. As always thank you for your advice and your future advice I truely do apreciate it I know everyones time is valuable and without Sd I would be no where thanks again.

Jhhnn
09-21-2010, 08:55 PM
If they're not healing quickly, a little salt won't hurt, like 1 teaspoon/ 10gals. It kinda depends on the TDS of your tap water. If your water is very hard in the first place, salt is less of a good thing than with soft water...

There's no substitute for frequent partial water changes or for acquiring healthy stock in the first place, imo...

Start right and stay right...

Discus master
09-22-2010, 09:52 AM
If they're not healing quickly, a little salt won't hurt, like 1 teaspoon/ 10gals. It kinda depends on the TDS of your tap water. If your water is very hard in the first place, salt is less of a good thing than with soft water...

There's no substitute for frequent partial water changes or for acquiring healthy stock in the first place, imo...

Start right and stay right...

Oh they are of good stock no question the issue was their determining a new pecking order sience being moved is all. Their actually all fine already, they were better when I got home their fins were all good as new already that did not take long. The fighting has eased up a lot as well I think they are getting it all worked out with the new pecking order. I do daily 80 - 85% water changes so I know about clean water, by the way my tap water is pretty soft to begin with. Thanks for the advice wanted to give you all an update though their doing just fine now.

nc0gnet0
09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
No problems on the water changes I am doing 85% every other day

I do daily 80 - 85% water changes so I know about clean water,

:confused: :D

So which one is it? :D If doing every other day I recomend on the off day a 10-15% water change concentrating on the uneaten food and feces. This still works out to approximtely the same as daily 50% changes.

I wouldn't bother with the salt and the angels plus deworming flake is something I do as well while new arrivals are in QT. I also do two doses of prazi pro (its pretty safe) one week a part in case any have tapeworms.

Discus master
09-22-2010, 04:24 PM

So which one is it? :D If doing every other day I recomend on the off day a 10-15% water change concentrating on the uneaten food and feces. This still works out to approximtely the same as daily 50% changes.

I wouldn't bother with the salt and the angels plus deworming flake is something I do as well while new arrivals are in QT. I also do two doses of prazi pro (its pretty safe) one week a part in case any have tapeworms.

Well when they were little for the first 3 months I did daily 80 - 85% now I do everyother on the main tank. The QT tank I am doing every day rite now, not becuse they are small but becuse I want to get any left over de worming flakes from the days feedings. But then on the week end I usually do do an 85% change or whatever on the main tank both Sat and Sun just becuse I tend to feed more those days as I am home and then I will do the extra water change because of it. So I guess basically I am doing water changes pretty much all the time, lol it drives my wife nuts but I think its worth it and essential. So it is kind of a hard question to answer lets just say its a lot at least a lot in my opinion:D

Discus master
09-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Oh and I can do the prazi as well I have that stuff to but mine is in the way of thoes fizz tabs and its for general parasites both internal and exterrnal it has parazi and metro and two nmore things I cant think of i ll do this on the qt tank as well as the main tank before i put them altogether. One good thing is all my stock is comming from the same breeder