PDA

View Full Version : Are these fish worth 40 dollars?

duckyser
09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Might be able to get these two guys for 40 bucks... like many of you guys say mine need some friends. Do these guys look like they are worth 40?

http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx167/duckyser/discus5/

Jennie
09-20-2010, 06:46 PM
except for in all 3 pics the dorsal on the blue is down, have you seen it erect at all? I think 40 is good but better QT:)

AirCapital
09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Might be able to get these two guys for 40 bucks... like many of you guys say mine need some friends. Do these guys look like they are worth 40?

http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx167/duckyser/discus5/

is the source very reputable? have you had a chance to see there setup and other fish. the reason I ask is even though they are 20 bucks each could they and will they bring in um wanted bugs into your tanks and effect others. if they bring in something with them( there is always this chance regarless of source) they could end up causing all types of problems with your other fish even if qt. sometimes you get suprices with really great deals.

duckyser
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
ugg i didnt think that it could be much worse than all the chinese discus places in my area. ill qt them.

Jennie
09-20-2010, 07:26 PM
where do you live?
ugg i didnt think that it could be much worse than all the chinese discus places in my area. ill qt them.

duckyser
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
scarborough ontario

jball1125
09-20-2010, 08:19 PM
I would advise you to contact April (she is one of our sponsors in canada)

She could get you way better quality fish for a very reasonable price.

I wouldnt pay $40 for those fish, I wouldnt pay anything for them, Not only do they look held back but they also look a little sick and the shape is off.

HTH

tcyiu
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
The eyes on the blue one looks too big .. i.e. it may be stunted.

Tim

duckyser
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
assuming a buy some similar fish but better quality from april how much do you think she would charge plus shipping?

jball1125
09-20-2010, 08:22 PM
assuming a buy some similar fish but better quality from april how much do you think she would charge plus shipping?

Not sure what April will charge, but you can trust the quality and If you give her a call Im sure she would answer all your questions.

duckyser
09-20-2010, 08:24 PM
0.o just checked out one of her threads, and saw some pics, the discus are really nice, but for a 16 year old student is impossible for me to afford such beauties.

jball1125
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
0.o just checked out one of her threads, and saw some pics, the discus are really nice, but for a 16 year old student is impossible for me to afford such beauties.

If you call her Im sure she has some classic strains at better prices. I have found when you go cheap on discus you are never really satisfied and will end up spending the money on the later on. Discus are a big investment, If you cant do it right the first time you could always try angels which are hardier and cheaper and save discus for when you have some extra dough...

You can also try Dale Jordan. Look him up on the sight and send him a PM. Great guy to work with and last I heard he was working on some really nice fish.

Keith Perkins
09-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Shipping would probably be prohibitive in your situation. I agree with the comments about the blue one looking stunted, the eyes do look big. The other one doesn't look as bad to me though. You'd absolutely want to QT them for a month or so if you decide to get them.

duckyser
09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
will do, after i am confident about my discus care skills ill move on to more $$$ ones.

Eddie
09-20-2010, 09:46 PM
No, not even.

Discus master
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM

That and if this is an internet purchase the disucs in the pics may not be the ones you actually get, think about that, your best defense is a good ofense ask questions and if they are hesitant and reluctant or shady on the responses then dont do it. Besides if it sounds and looks to good to be true it normally is. Save up your money even if it takes awhile and buy from a sponsor, youll be glad you did. The first time I bought one discus at a time and I bought from a huge huge LFS and in the long run I was sorry I did Net time I saved my money over the course of 2 or 3 months and bought from an actual breeder not more than an hour away from me and its proven to be the best decision I ever made in this hobby in fact I was just there on Friday to buy three more. I am telling you if you want a good experince in this hobby starting with good healthy fish is the first key to sucess second is water. I do not think there are many who will dis agree with that statement and I have only been in the hobby now about 7 to 8 monhs but thats what I have leaned the ahrd way. iw ish I would have listend to begin with, I do now. I learn everything the hard way. All my fish but 2 come from this breeder my origianl 6 are gone now becuase of the LFS and the two I have left are very healthy and look good but I was lucky there 2 out of about 7 that I had bought from the LFS made it. All from the breeder are doing great and look great so whats that say? Plus the breeder was cheaper and the same distance almost and specializes in nothing but discus plus he loves them and he judges them as well. if I would have known about this guy to begin with, I was in a rush and did not do enough research on them first and I did not even bother to find out if there were breeders within driving distance for me when I found out about this breeder who was literaly 1 hour and ten minutes away I was both happy and pi****ff I did not check into this sooner. I will go now where else. True sad happy ending story but I could have saved about 400$ and a lot of frustration and heart ache have I had gone here in the first place duh.

DerekFF
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Those are less than even average fish IMO.

duckyser
09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Aight guys I have declined the guys offer. Unfortunately the closest breeders are an hour drive away, I'll keep looking

Skip
09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Aight guys I have declined the guys offer. Unfortunately the closest breeders are an hour drive away, I'll keep looking

hey.. its up to you.. if you like them.. get them.. but just be buyer beware...

:angel:

duckyser
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Well the given advice had made sense and so I'll keep looking around.

Discus master
09-21-2010, 02:32 PM

dude an hour away is nothing, no problems and totally worth it for great stock and you get to pick out the fish and no shipping fees to worry with nor do you have to worry about the fish araving healthy or a live for that matter. I was just at my breeders on friday and i got to pick out 3 beautiful fish for 150$ to add to my current collection. His prices are usually more resonable but I bought a little bit more "exotic" strains plus I had to get a little larger size fish so my current discus would not dominate them. But if all you have is an hour drive that is nothing and you will be happy to go that far for a good experince trust me many others drive further. much further to get giood disucs consider your self lucky I do.

Jennie
09-21-2010, 02:42 PM
pics please DM:D lol! yes, I'm tormenting you

Skip
09-21-2010, 02:45 PM
i have driven 2 hrs to see deepfly ball.. 3 hrs to go see GULF COAST DISCUS/Dustin & 3.5 hrs to see TCT and yim11 (luckily they live 10 min away from each other).. 1 hr drive is ALOT cheaper then shipping.. plus you get to pick your stock!! :D:D:D

Discus master
09-21-2010, 03:13 PM
pics please DM:D lol! yes, I'm tormenting you

I know I know, I am at work at the momment, I have a job like Eddie that alows for me to be on Simply umm how do I say this very often, lol. In fact I always have it minimized at the bottom of my laptop screen. I have such an awsome job that affords me to do this in between doing my testing. I test software for a company who builds large tonage air conditioners and they write all the control software them selves while I am not a principle software engineer yet... I do am in charge of testing the software the code. Kind of like quality control, I have a four year degree in IT I just finished up a B.S.I.T so hopefully I am on my way to bigger and better things but for rite now this is an awsome job pretty laid back most of the time. So in other words when I get home to take some pics I will post them as soon as I can I promise. I have been wanting to take some pics anyway just have not had the chance to heck I only had these newibies at home now for what this will be their fourth night. I am trying to figurre out how old they are I forgot to ask that but being around the 3 inch or so mark I am going to guess 4 months or something like this? The ones I got in June were little guys so all 8 should be aorund the same age at least this is what i was going for. I can't belive these new guys are eating the medicated flakes already having grown up on a beef heart mixture and of course brine shrimp but these guys eat whatever is in the tank and already eating from my hand from day one? I know the breeder did not hand feed them no way he could have had time for that. but yes pics are on there way I will post them in a seperate thread hold your pants or brazere on whatever you got;) there comming

h2osanity
09-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Scarborough isn't too far from Burlington, PM Moon and see if he has anything ATM...there are also some in KW that a private breeder has for sale. check on the kwas.ca/forum site in the Hobbyists for Sale section.